Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

I read 'beach' and 'fridge,' so I'm in. Yes, the numbers will go through the roof but then settle down. We'll get there, but as you correctly predict, next year. I'm no fisherman but will happily drain your beer supply as you are cavorting on the sand trying to control the drone whilst half cut!

Cold beer, fresh fish, homemade chips - I warn you, you'll need a shotgun to convince us to leave!

Did the cam pic not show up? I had a little trouble uploading it. My firmware is probably taking precedence tonight - I've been away, you know.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

6 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

. My firmware is probably taking precedence tonight - I've been away, you know.

your firm is ware ? me no understand!! hahaha. and yeah no pictures of that lumpy thing yet !!:rofl:

by the way, i am no serous fisher man either! i am happy to get my  fish at the fish n chip shop ! 

but i will show ya what really fresh fish tastes like!! ... there is no  going back after that!!..:cheers:

oh and we ran out of beer!! there none left anywere in nz... so you will have to byo

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

Gawd I love a good chippie! The next to the Tower of London was for crap. 

Fitzy's trip to see Kiwi reminds of an old Saturday Night Live skit from back in the day....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

your firm is ware ? me no understand!! hahaha. and yeah no pictures of that lumpy thing yet !!:rofl:

by the way, i am no serous fisher man either! i am happy to get my  fish at the fish n chip shop ! 

but i will show ya what really fresh fish tastes like!! ... there is no  going back after that!!..:cheers:

oh and we ran out of beer!! there none left anywere in nz... so you will have to byo

Need to go to the Failure of the server post from Ringo about the downtime here.  Probably involves a lil blue pill as I'd bet there's not an app for that!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Gawd I love a good chippie! The next to the Tower of London was for crap. 

Fitzy's trip to see Kiwi reminds of an old Saturday Night Live skit from back in the day....

hahahahaha :rofl:

Great info and tips from your machinist Fitzy. Thanks for sharing.

One last thing to remember. Pontiac distributors (and oil pumps) turn anti-clockwise (while Chevy and most of the rest of world turn clockwise). So when you use your priming tool adaptor on your drill, make sure your drill is spinning anti-clockwise as well.

• Like 2

Thanks Frosty - I was aware that was the case for Pontiacs but didn't realise Chevs were opposite. I'm not sure what drugs were on offer at GM thru the 60s, but you'd reckon they would have shared some parts & engineering compatibility to a greater extent. I suppose the various GM divisions back then had much greater autonomy before financial constraints finally forced a merger of shared componentry. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into the reassembly. Stay tuned for hilarious photos of things being installed backwards, upside down, and in the wrong hole. What I WON'T be doing is asking my missus for assistance: I have a Ryobi battery charger and a charger for my toothbrush - both are designed to be foolproof and you can only insert those devices one way. The world's best engineers made sure that they could not be compromised. What they didn't count on was the tenacity of my missus to 'insert at any cost.' I came home one day to find my toothbrush jammed into the charger the wrong way AND a Ryobi battery also installed exactly 180° the wrong way: a feat that God Himself could not achieve! I will be using a baseball bat to ensure she doesn't come anywhere near my engine.

• Haha 1

Can you guys have a look at this - pic shows a ported carb stud. Despite the myriad of photos I took prior to engine teardown, I can't see what is supposed to go here. My guess is distributor vacuum, but on my car that seems to come off the carb. I'm now wondering if this was the source of my mysterious untraceable vacuum leak that my car always had. There's no mention in the shop manual, and Ames sells a replacement stud kit which incorporates this ported stud. Any clues? Kiwi - your engine is possibly the closest in vintage and application.

20211022_093334.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Can you guys have a look at this - pic shows a ported carb stud. Despite the myriad of photos I took prior to engine teardown, I can't see what is supposed to go here. My guess is distributor vacuum, but on my car that seems to come off the carb. I'm now wondering if this was the source of my mysterious untraceable vacuum leak that my car always had. There's no mention in the shop manual, and Ames sells a replacement stud kit which incorporates this ported stud. Any clues? Kiwi - your engine is possibly the closest in vintage and application.

20211022_093334.jpg

Yes mate it’s a vacuum line that from memories is hooked to the choke 

but I won’t be able to confirm till Monday mate ... we headed to the beach yesterday for a long weekend and hopefully some fishing , but the weathers a bit nasty !! 

fitzy, i dont have that hollow stud like yours, only vacuum at the back comes off the carb, and feeds the booster, heater controls, idle diaphragm and  dissy.

on the passenger side i have a plate with vacuum lines that go to the coke, and top of carb. and at the front is two ports teed together heading too the trans CEA42D04-9DF0-4147-BD80-F721C472177F.jpeg

6048972C-7C39-45FD-B719-7C9460524D17.jpeg

756A149E-08E9-4115-A4D3-98209468CAAF.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

Thanks mate - there are as many similarities as there are differences between our respective setups. 1965 was a transitional year and they seem to have made plenty of minor changes, in addition to major stuff like auto trans type and 'venturi' body style. I'll have to carefully study all my engine removal photos again - it's unlike me to miss details like that.

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Thanks mate - there are as many similarities as there are differences between our respective setups. 1965 was a transitional year and they seem to have made plenty of minor changes, in addition to major stuff like auto trans type and 'venturi' body style. I'll have to carefully study all my engine removal photos again - it's unlike me to miss details like that.

seams odd that pontiac would use a carb mounting bolt as a vacuum line !

have you blown air through it to confirm its connected into the manifold ?

• Confused 1

Yep. Check out the pic - it's for real. It sounds like the ideal position for distributor vacuum. I'll have to re read all the blurb on ported vacuum and will make a decision.

20211024_184001.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I'm having trouble accessing this site, and ONLY this site and Ringo is working thru it with me to try and find a solution, so I'm using my phone in the interim.

I have a question: all my engine bits are back and I'm in preassembly phase. Have a look at the pic. The highlighted item is a 'ventilator hole.' There is no mention of it anywhere. I'm assuming it's to be left alone to ventilate any potential vacuum created by the spinning timing gear. Does anyone know that it is kept free, for sure? I have installed all core plugs that came with my Mellings kit and everything is used up. I might email Butler for verification as well.

20211103_171456.jpg

• Like 2

While I'm here, you may as well check out my finished engine bay. For you in particular Kiwi, the phenolic spacer I ordered from elsewhere was wrong but I got a gasket which is just as good, from Ames. If you ever need a replacement, it's a good thick heavy duty item.

20211102_103612.jpg

• Like 2

well its about time !!!! what the heck mate!!! it would have been quicker for me to jump on a plane, deliver you a whole new computer .... fly back to nz ..... do the 2 weeks in quarantine, and STILL be back on fp before you!!! hahahahaha:rofl: 

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

While I'm here, you may as well check out my finished engine bay. For you in particular Kiwi, the phenolic spacer I ordered from elsewhere was wrong but I got a gasket which is just as good, from Ames. If you ever need a replacement, it's a good thick heavy duty item.

20211102_103612.jpg

mate !!! i could eat my dinner off that engine bay!!!!!!:cheers:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Hi Guys, I'm having trouble accessing this site, and ONLY this site and Ringo is working thru it with me to try and find a solution, so I'm using my phone in the interim.

I have a question: all my engine bits are back and I'm in preassembly phase. Have a look at the pic. The highlighted item is a 'ventilator hole.' There is no mention of it anywhere. I'm assuming it's to be left alone to ventilate any potential vacuum created by the spinning timing gear. Does anyone know that it is kept free, for sure? I have installed all core plugs that came with my Mellings kit and everything is used up. I might email Butler for verification as well.

20211103_171456.jpg

Fitzy - check inside that hole for a small plug with a small hole in it. I can't recall if it at the front or back of the motor that has a plug that Pontiac used to help control oil flow from the top of the motor to the bottom end. 

Your engine bay looks spectacular mate! Kudos to you! :cheers:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

20211103_171456.jpg

Can't say for sure it doesn't take a plug, BUT.... Timing chain needs oil too. Looks like it's close to the return from the heads.

Jeezus - what an ordeal just to post something. I'm hotspotting my phone coz that's all that'll work! Anyway, Chuck from Butler kindly responded and told me that's an oil drain hole, so JustA was right. I thought it looked awfully big to be a drain hole, but there you go. Today, I washed the block with hot soapy water and flushed everything with a garden hose, cleaned out all the oil galleries and holes, cleaned the threads on the main cap holes and then blew everything out with compressed air. Finally found the courage to commence the rebuild, so lubed up the cam and gently installed. Then set the rear seal in place, lubed the mains and saddles and GENTLY dropped that friggin' heavy crank into place. Lightly lubed the mains bolts with 30 weight oil and torqued everything up to spec and that's it for today. Cam and crank turn nicely with no binding nor free play. Will clean those bores scrupulously tomorrow and will install the pistons and rods. A note to anyone installing a new cam: ensure they send you a new Woodruff key to go with it. I looked in dismay at my 068 Mellings cam and noticed the absence of said key, so gouged the shit out of my old one and through sheer pigheadedness and perseverance it eventually, reluctantly came out. I cleaned it up with a file and used my vise to press it into the new cam. Phew!

That first pic is of the stuff from Ames. A new rear view mirror, that wonderful chunky carb gasket and the oil pump drive tool.

Frosty was right: there is a selection of oil gallery plugs to go back into the engine. The one that some people aren't aware of is a hex head plug hidden inside the block at the back but behind a small pressed steel plug that sits in the outside of the block: that is a plug within a plug. Yeah, because there's not enough other shit to worry about...

20211102_141332.jpg

20211104_161946.jpg

20211104_162008.jpg

• Like 2