Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

I was on my own and after hours of grunting, sweating, swearing, jacking up the trans, fiddling with the engine, using pry bars and pieces of timber, as it's getting dark I FINALLY manage to get one of the bellhousing bolts in. Yes!       Are you missing the 2 guide pins that line up your bellhousing to the block?  These line up everything and the bolts hold it in place.  MUST HAVE.  After seeing the pic again of the block on the stand, I can see the pin in the block.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Another torturous day under the car sweating, grunting & swearing. Sound familiar? Of course, today was as humid as hell, no breeze, stinking hot - perfect Pontiac repair weather. Bolted in driver's side headers. Easy, coz I left them in situ as engine was lowered in place, but I was forced to pull other side headers out coz engine was catching on stuff everywhere. Today I replaced those headers. Under the car - they caught on the trans cooler lines, the oil filter adapter, the dipstick tube and the exhaust collector. After dismantling all that crap they still wouldn't go. They needed about a tenth of an inch to clear the head. Out comes the engine mount bolt, so with the car suspended on jackstands and the engine suspended by the crane I eventually got them in. Then came the arduous task of actually getting those bolts to go in. Whatever - they're in and bolted in place. The starter motor was another adventure in gravity defiance (remember when 'gravity' made it to Homer's shit list?) but it too is in place. Trying to hold that heavy thing in place, position the plate that is sandwiched between it and the block and getting one of those bolts started is further evidence that with our next evolutionary phase, I'm suggesting once again a third arm be added to all humans. Torque converter bolted up, cover plate reinstalled - I think I'm ready to start adding all the stuff that goes on top of and in front of the block. It sounds like I'm moaning but after a shower and a sit down, I feel quite content knowing that each day is another step closer to either sweet engine sounds, or an explosion.

We have visitors tomorrow and I'm barbie chef, so a day's reprieve of spannering and beers instead.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Another torturous day under the car sweating, grunting & swearing. Sound familiar? Of course, today was as humid as hell, no breeze, stinking hot - perfect Pontiac repair weather. Bolted in driver's side headers. Easy, coz I left them in situ as engine was lowered in place, but I was forced to pull other side headers out coz engine was catching on stuff everywhere. Today I replaced those headers. Under the car - they caught on the trans cooler lines, the oil filter adapter, the dipstick tube and the exhaust collector. After dismantling all that crap they still wouldn't go. They needed about a tenth of an inch to clear the head. Out comes the engine mount bolt, so with the car suspended on jackstands and the engine suspended by the crane I eventually got them in. Then came the arduous task of actually getting those bolts to go in. Whatever - they're in and bolted in place. The starter motor was another adventure in gravity defiance (remember when 'gravity' made it to Homer's shit list?) but it too is in place. Trying to hold that heavy thing in place, position the plate that is sandwiched between it and the block and getting one of those bolts started is further evidence that with our next evolutionary phase, I'm suggesting once again a third arm be added to all humans. Torque converter bolted up, cover plate reinstalled - I think I'm ready to start adding all the stuff that goes on top of and in front of the block. It sounds like I'm moaning but after a shower and a sit down, I feel quite content knowing that each day is another step closer to either sweet engine sounds, or an explosion.

We have visitors tomorrow and I'm barbie chef, so a day's reprieve of spannering and beers instead.

sounds like you certainly deserve that beer mate !!! well done:cheers:

fitzy i ment to say, i know how you like apricots  ! for some weird reason our 3 apricot trees never blossomed this year!!! last year we had dozens of fruit... this year none... well nearly none.... ok one to be exact !!! 

4F3EC913-8E8F-4B5C-9C6D-6D14F17C065E.jpeg

C615747D-955D-46F8-A89D-8690274789FE.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

We have 3 mango trees at our place and this year we got ONE mango, until the fruit bats destroyed it. Now we have none. It's apocalypse now.

• Haha 1

What a lovely gift - how nice of them (and your missus) to have done each other a huge favour. This is the sort of story that restores one's faith in humans. I can just see you now: standing around in the snow all rugged up, barbecuing your catch with a pair of tongs in one hand and a beer in the other. When Kiwi & I visit, we'll stick to summer, I think.

We were in Toronto a coupla years ago and I couldn't help noticing there was a Hooters restaurant a few hundred metres from our hotel. She was okay with me going, but the northern hemisphere was experiencing a protracted winter that year and there were metres of snow & slush I had to mush through in order to get there. Sadly, it is an experience I shall have to wait for. Insert hint of "we'll take you guys there - we have one just around the corner." Hooters, beer, seafood...sounds good.

• Haha 1

I’m sure JUSTA and I can find a Hooters here and there. 

Wait, is that a threat of you two showing up at our doorsteps? Bad enough I have I have to deal with a Canuckistani refugee on Saturday.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Here's to automotive gods that you fire up the motor and it doesn't fire you back! :cheers:

The wife got an interesting care package on Friday. It was a 65-lb FedEx box. In it was Styrofoam cooler loaded with 8 freshly caught but frozen Triggerfish and about 30-35 -lbs of fresh Gulf of Mexico shrimp! Seems it was from a grateful employee of hers whom she helped save his job at work (from downsizing). He and his family is Vietnamese, and his family owns a fishing boat in Panama City Florida. So he had them send up some fresh catch seafood as a way of saying thank you.

I've never had Triggerfish before but I've read it's great eating, especially grilled on the barbie or blackened. The shrimp seem to almost be the size of prawns. However, they still need to be cleaned, beheaded, and de-legged.

oh my god Yumm yumm !! you lucky bugger!! enjoy:cheers:

5 hours ago, Fitzy said:

What a lovely gift - how nice of them (and your missus) to have done each other a huge favour. This is the sort of story that restores one's faith in humans. I can just see you now: standing around in the snow all rugged up, barbecuing your catch with a pair of tongs in one hand and a beer in the other. When Kiwi & I visit, we'll stick to summer, I think.

oh yes !!, we certainly will be!! hehehe:rofl:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Thanks! It’s a cushy job but somebody has to do it! :cheers:

Can you post pics of bbq the shrimp in the snow??? fitzy has me laffing my arse off with jutsA picture of doing that !

many a night i will bbq and its cold as outside justA because .... i want bbq food !!!

steak is always best on the bbq! shimp/prawns same thing !!

i hate it when the boss does steak on the gas hob, never hot enough, to truly cook it fast and trap the juices in the meat!

its a art !! fitzy knows what i am talking about :cheers:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fitzy said:

He's absolutely right, folks. Only a hot grill plate will do a steak properly. There's something comforting & primal about cooking meat on a fire. Chuck some beers in and it's a night out! Keep it simple: good quality salt & fresh ground black pepper, some Dijon mustard. Man, my mouth is watering.

When I did my apprenticeship as a chef (it's true) we used to marinate big trays of cooked lobster meat in olive oil, lemon juice and salt & pepper. For lunch, I would make myself the thickest lobster & avocado sandwich, which was free for me but which the punters had to spread their arse cheeks for!

oh you have MY mouth watering !!!!:drool:

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

I haven't shown you blokes my grille either. Here it is in front of Lucy.

It is the engine with the zoomies, it is literally a BBQ grille. It is called the Hot Rod Grills. I won it almost a decade ago in a raffle contest in Charleston WV.

https://www.hotrodgrills.eu/product/v8-hot-rod-grill-bbq/

100_4361.jpg

image.png.3a612cb52caa14b5c10e27ea91d5f57f.png

thats SOOOO cool mate!! whats the block made out of??

3 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

thats SOOOO cool mate!! whats the block made out of??

Cast metal alloy of some sort. Not 100% sure what it is. Its definitely not iron, its too light for iron (and it isn't rusting(. Its not all aluminum, although I suspect the "heads and intake" are aluminum. The grille is stainless steel. So is the handle, timing cover and air cleaner.

• Like 1