Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

4 hours ago, Fitzy said:

No - the belts are black, to match the factory black interior I guess.

Glad everything went well.  This will will keep your nose outta places it shouldn't be. 😎  What logo is on those belts?  Hard to see.

I never saw no purple wallabies............What about PINK elephants??

• Haha 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

4 hours ago, Fitzy said:

You might find some on ebay. Similar vintage Chev or Buick should be the same. Perhaps Frosty or JustA could keep an eye out for you when their swap meets occur. That reminds me, we need to get over there for a catch up, once the Omicron variant extinguishes most of humanity.

I might Justa have a set.  Will have to dig through the spare parts bins.  Had a couple sets and used the easiest to get working again.  All were rusted and wouldn't move.  Cleaned up well and the set in the GTO still works fine after well over 10 years.  I'm still looking to match my buckles for the back seat.  Justa can't find em.  Have seen the repops for $600 per set of 4.  Yea the black plastic for the back seat is JUSTA fine.

• Like 1

Just now, JUSTA6 said:

I might Justa have a set.  Will have to dig through the spare parts bins.  Had a couple sets and used the easiest to get working again.  All were rusted and wouldn't move.  Cleaned up well and the set in the GTO still works fine after well over 10 years.  I'm still looking to match my buckles for the back seat.  Justa can't find em.  Have seen the repops for $600 per set of 4.  Yea the black plastic for the back seat is JUSTA fine.

Gto12004-1.jpg

• Like 1

My belts have the Fisher carriage symbol on them: that pic was a bit blurry. I never thought of those retractors being out of the ordinary. I'll look at them with a little more reverance in future. As JustA said, I also had to pry the buckle apart and derust everything - works like a new one now.

I was going to post a pic of my bandaged face but figured we have enough tarted up old wrecks undergoing repair already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fitzy said:

My belts have the Fisher carriage symbol on them: that pic was a bit blurry. I never thought of those retractors being out of the ordinary. I'll look at them with a little more reverance in future. As JustA said, I also had to pry the buckle apart and derust everything - works like a new one now.

I was going to post a pic of my bandaged face but figured we have enough tarted up old wrecks undergoing repair already.

oh come on!! we all love a good picture of good bondo job  !!!:rofl:

What a day. Heed my words: when it's your turn to order new door trim panels, get the assembled ones for a few bucks more. I had to practically re-engineer every facet of making mine go back together and fitting on the car. If anyone wants any tips, just ask me. It was a journey I wish to never repeat! Anyway, they're fitted and everything looks really good. It was never going to be perfect, but that's old cars for you.

As an experiment, I found a cheap but surprisingly good quality leather lace on steering wheel cover which I sewed on to my original wheel. It was tan colour (no black available) but some vinyl spray took care of that. It looks okay - I'll see what I think as time goes by. I can't help thinking an original or Grant wood rimmed wheel would really match the walnut veneer GP interior. Perhaps the boys will find one at a swap meet.

So, with the interior finished to a point that I'm happy with, it's now time to get stuck into the engine rebuild. First drama: fitting the new oil pickup to the new oil pump. Rocky Rotella sez to put the pickup in the freezer then essentially drive it in. Uh, sure Rocky. Pickup is in the freezer as we speak. My missus (being a Kiwi) will probably think it's some exotic ingredient to add to the curry. That'll be a pick me up. Didja see what I did there? Comedy gold. Whilst that is happening I thought I could get the timing gear fitted. Ha! My original cam still had it's woodruff key installed. New cam didn't come with one. Surely for $200 they could have chucked in a 2 cent woodruff key. No they didn't. I tried to find one locally and no dice. So I drove the 55 year old key out of the old cam. I then checked the corresponding slot in the new cam gear and several tenths of a millimetre had to come off the sides, so in the vice and file it down.  Easy - new cam gear will now just slide on to the cam. No it won't coz the friggin cam snout is like 0.2 mm larger than new cam gear. So now I gotta figure out how to either reduce the cam snout diameter or enlarge new billet timing gear. This is what happens when you mix up aftermarket parts. Melling cam and JP Performance timing gear. I guess I'll be using emery cloth until the bits fit.

What? Of course I'm having a beer. What a friggin' day.

20211205_130235.jpg

20211205_130249.jpg

20211205_130312.jpg

20211205_130330.jpg

20211205_130354.jpg

Edited by Fitzy
Double up on photo
  • Like 2

I forgot all about the race! Back in the 80s, I went there with a few mates a coupla times and it was wild. You could stand right on the edge of the track, and the beer, burgers, burnouts and bogans were only the start! My initial sighting of a race car was KB's Camaro coming over a rise with it's side exiting exhaust and him deftly controlling the ensuing slide. No wonder I'm a tragic petrolhead. The other defining moment in my life was when my father smuggled me into a cinema at the age of 14 to watch the original R rated Mad Max. Watching Max in that Falcon coupe did it for me. I've been broke ever since!

• Haha 2

On 12/4/2021 at 4:58 AM, 64 kiwi boni said:

oh come on!! we all love a good picture of good bondo job  !!!:rofl:

Part of me thinks that is a contradiction in terms. 

FItzy - you are doing amazing work mate! Keep it up, and drink more beer! 

Edited by Frosty
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Nice job!  There is light N sleep at the end of the tunnel. :stars:

Justa - don't say that too loud!!! The missus might hear!!!! And then she will expect things on the Honey Do List to get done eventually! Damn it man, we have to look out for each other in the "Great Car Conspiracy"!

"Why yes Molly, David WAS helping me install a transmission in my Jeep CJ last night. Why do you ask?"

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

- I will GLADLY potter about and do whatever she wants once this engine is bolted back in, starts and actually runs. If it doesn't, the car will become a sculpture that people can admire when they visit. I'll just have to be content sitting in the driver's seat, holding the wheel and making "brum brum" noises, like a little kid.

bull shit !!! haahha another tui beer ad !! 10 seconds after doing what your boss wants you to do, you  will wonder off and start doin what you want to do again, or you will go completely mad blind and deaf within seconds and you know it !!!! haahha

25 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

I got the week off work coz my face looks like I've been beaten up, so it's full speed ahead with engine assembly. After seeing a YT clip of Uncle Tony's Garage, I thought I might clean up the ports on my inlet manifold. He showed an example of some Chrysler heads and boy, were the castings rough - he could easily grind away plenty of material in order to restore correct port shape. By contrast, my Pontiac heads have beautiful clean ports which I never touched and I could only find the slightest amount of material to grind away from my inlet manifold ports, so I did. I set my inlet manifold gaskets in place with the exhaust crossover ports blocked off and am almost there. Tomorrow I'll paint the block & heads, add the last bits & pieces and will eventually whack that baby back where it belongs.

20211207_123845.jpg

20211207_154853.jpg

20211207_162830.jpg

20211207_162904.jpg

very nice mate :cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

I love it when I'm not the only one who calls BS when he sees it Kiwi!

Besides it is congenital for us to tune out our better half. It is natural defense mechanism! We're born with it mates!!!! :cheers:

• Thanks 1

No BS. I will be glad to have something different to do. We're both sick of seeing the car just sit there and not move.

This morning as I'm making coffee, for some reason the word 'thermostat' popped into my head. Guess who forgot to put the thermostat in yesterday? I'm now wondering what else I forgot to stuff inside the block, now that it's all sealed up.

When I tore the engine down, I noted that the thermostat was missing altogether so I guess that's why I didn't think about it. Oh well, it's only 2 bolts. Better than forgetting the camshaft. Wait a minute...why is that lumpy steel rod still sitting in the Pontiac room???

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

No BS. I will be glad to have something different to do. We're both sick of seeing the car just sit there and not move.

This morning as I'm making coffee, for some reason the word 'thermostat' popped into my head. Guess who forgot to put the thermostat in yesterday? I'm now wondering what else I forgot to stuff inside the block, now that it's all sealed up.

When I tore the engine down, I noted that the thermostat was missing altogether so I guess that's why I didn't think about it. Oh well, it's only 2 bolts. Better than forgetting the camshaft. Wait a minute...why is that lumpy steel rod still sitting in the Pontiac room???

fitzy, that lump is a super expensive back scratchier, and should be sitting on the coffee table in front of the telly !!! why would you want to stick it  in the depths of the 389 to never be seen again !!! hahahahahha:rofl: 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

mate.... this is where you need to step away and go take the boss to town/ beach/some where and have time out... do not let the pontiac control your life!!!, it will ... take control, it will make you dress up in Christine clothes and it will kill bad people while you sleep, then it will fix itself and wait for you in the morning and you will know... because it will only play 50's music on the radio !!!

you have been warned !!! :dancingpontiac::dancingpontiac::dancingpontiac::dancingpontiac::dancingpontiac::dancingpontiac::dancingpontiac::dancingpontiac::dancingpontiac::dancingpontiac:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Water tubes, henway? I don't recall seeing any 'water tubes' and there's no ramp to allow access to the engine for chickens. Maybe it was rated in Chicken Power instead of Horsepower?

According to Kiwi, the car will go out at night and kill bad people (bring THAT on) but he also said it will 'fix itself.' I can't wait to see that!

I can't take the boss anywhere right now coz my face will frighten the general public more than it normally does. I'll be a bit happier once I bolt that expensive lump of cast iron back into the engine bay.

Finished painting it and attached most of the little doodads that drive you crazy IF you didn't take pics as you were tearing it down. My #1 tip for anyone about to pull their engine. Take endless pics, from every angle and make sure you get everything in frame. Those little ziptie plastic bags and a permanent marker are invaluable for nuts, bolts, clips, etc. Clearly mark what they are and where they go. Believe me, as you're undoing stuff you're thinking "I'll remember where that goes." You bloody won't - especially if the rebuild takes a few months, which it will unless you have a bottomless bank account and an army of engine builders to do the job for you. I did all these things on my last engine and was SO grateful I took the time to be methodical. You don't want to be staring into a box of rusty, greasy bits wondering what goes where 6 months down the track!

I filled it with oil (and zinc additive to give the new cam & lifters a chance to live longer than 10 minutes) and used my electric drill and you beaut oil pump drive tool to pressurise all the internals, fitted the distributor and everything is now set so that it should fire up. Bolt on the flex plate & starter tomorrow and maybe lower it into the engine bay.

20211208_154808.jpg

20211208_154825.jpg

20211208_154846.jpg

wow !! getting exciting now!!! pass the chips n dip  boss, i cant wait for the next installment !!!! :dancingpontiac:

• Like 2