Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I'm back! Got a lot on this week: a company Medical, the dentist and then a covid booster. I'm going for my road train licence tomorrow. For our American viewers, a road train is a prime mover with more than one trailer - used extensively in remote parts of Australia. They can be up to 4 trailers long. There are even ones with a 'power unit' (engine) in the middle and at the back to assist the prime mover. I'm fed up with trundling a coach around so am looking at earning some decent money for a change before I retire (Corvette!)

Anyway, back to reality. I came home to another collection of presents that the Pontiac fairy dropped off in my week long absence. An electronic ignition (will fit in the future) my new wheel cylinder, some new uncracked reversing lenses to keep Das Inspector happy and I bought a set of gauges as an extra precaution so as to monitor my freshly built engine as I'm blowing all the Mustangs into the weeds. Not really, but I want to make sure that everything's cool under the hood.

I shall let you know how the inaugural test drive goes this weekend.

20220208_180654.jpg

20220208_181654.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I'm going for my road train licence tomorrow. For our American viewers, a road train is a prime mover with more than one trailer - used extensively in remote parts of Australia. They can be up to 4 trailers long. There are even ones with a 'power unit' (engine) in the middle and at the back to assist the prime mover. I'm fed up with trundling a coach around so am looking at earning some decent money for a change before I retire (Corvette!)

mate, you could get on telly with the out back truckers!!!👍

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Yeah - mine will be the one upside down on the side of a dirt track in the middle of nowhere. I'll get something like that old Peterbilt in Duel - the one the newbies get before they prove themselves and are worthy of a modern, reliable truck.

yip trucks have come a long way since that old peterbilt :rofl:

hay look at the up side !!! you could be a ice road trucker up past where notallthere lives !! 🥶

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

On 2/8/2022 at 9:19 PM, Fitzy said:

An electronic ignition (will fit in the future)

mate you have to show us all the electronic ignition installation !! i should be doing it to the 64 too ! where did you buy you one ?

• Like 1

I bought a Pertronix from Ames. I always shop around for alternate prices prior to purchasing and Ames consistently either match or better the price, plus they've never sent the wrong item, everything comes packed really well and most of the time it arrives in my mailbox about 10 days later. It looks like a very simple install. I'm not going to put it in yet as my points & condenser and everything else are all brand new. Once the car is registered and is getting some use, I'll install it. Gotta get that sucker out on the road first.

• Like 2

Thanks boys. It's actually the base Ignitor. I didn't need the rev limiting features of the Ignitor 3 and I forget now what the Ignitor 2 does above the basic one. Now if the distributor was at the front of the engine...

I read with some interest that regular points & condenser require a voltage drop so that they don't burn out prematurely, whereas you can chuck the full 12 volts at an electronic set up. I guess this is where the enormous increase in spark energy at the plugs comes from. I already have the Pertronix ,ahem 'Flamethrower' 40k volt coil installed, so it should be a good result. 

Today is Rear Wheel Cylinder Day - the last little job to complete before I head out on the road, provided I survive today's covid booster.

• Like 1

hmm i am thinking the same as you Wrong way, replace the whole dizzy, where did you get yours ? 

mind you, i am still getting over the knee capping i got with my trans... so it might be a 2023 christmas present the way i am going ! :rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

Remain calm - I survived both the harrowing wheel cylinder changeout AND the covid booster. As far as I'm concerned, the car is now roadworthy. I gunned it up the driveway today at full pelt trying to go fast enough to see if second gear engaged but ran out of room. The 2.73 diff is T A L L, plus I didn't get traction for the first coupla metres!

I chucked about 8 litres of fuel in today and will actually venture out the front gate tomorrow and will head down to the servo. Will you guys pass the hat around and bail me out when the cops see a big red Yank Tank with Cal plates tooling last them?

• Haha 1

Fitzy - you musta married a demoness from hell if she melts tungsten. Tungsten's melting point is 6,192 °F!!!! Damn son, thanks for taking one for the team!

Fitzy - I am confused though mate. If you get arrested for driving the car around. Are we sending you bail money or beer money? I'm in on the contribution regardless, just need to know what to put on my tax deduction - criminal reform vs alcoholism. Mind you, I don't think there are many charities that encourage this behavior either. I know it's for a good cause though. 

• Haha 2