Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Oh, this is just the beginning of the New Age. Every time someone kills themselves by misusing some sort of consumer product (like using a toaster as you're having a bath) we all get dragged down to the lowest common denominator. That's why when you pull out one of those little moisture absorbers when you unpack a new purchase, it advises you not to eat the contents. Gee. I was really looking forward to chowing down on 'dessicant.' Oh well - chicken again.

• Haha 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Wait! You mean I cant make and eat my toast in the hot tub over there?!?! Well hell, I guess I'll justa keep my butt parked right here then! Next thing they'll say not to stick my scissors in the wall pull to make sure I have power!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Fitzy said:

It is with some relief that I post this: no, car is still not registered so it's not that.

I picked it up from the mechanic today, drove to the nearest servo and chucked a few litres of 95 octane in to get me home. I wanted to report that the leaking brake booster (now fixed) was indeed the source of the vacuum loss that prevented the TH400 from shifting. On my particular car, the booster and trans modulator both feed off a common source point on the inlet manifold. This was on my mind as I pulled out of the mechanic's premises and onto the road and there it was - the auto shifted seamlessly into 2nd & 3rd, in fact it's gotta be one of the smoothest autos I've ever driven. Then I hit the highway and she ran like a train - silky smooth, effortless, sounded sweet and drove straight & true. I was home in 20 mins and she's back sitting where she should be: under the carport safe at home. 

Now I play the waiting game and hope that the relevant government departments do their thing and issue me with a new 17 digit VIN.

So, to Kiwi - my auto now works perfectly. I genuinely wish you a similar happy outcome with yours.

Thats Great news mate!!! all your hard work has paid off!!!!!:cheers: good old bloody turbo 400 aye!!!:dancingpontiac:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I get it - don't worry. Sometimes, ignorance IS bliss. You don't really have oil pressure concerns do you? Don't worry - we're due to visit NZ in September. She can fly home after we have a look around and I'll stay back and we'll rebuild that dinky little 389 of yours. Well...not really but it's a pleasant thought. 

Which reminds me - can you recommend good accommodation in Taupo?

not too worried about oil pressure, it will be low as the motor is no where new! hahaha.

there is lots of lake front places that are really nice and not expensive.

do a google surf and i can tel;l ya what any one is like..... having said that they are all clean and tidy some are way newer than others 

• Like 2

They DO look good, especially being chrome.

Wrongway, can I ask how you went about fitting the oil & temp lines to the engine? I'm assuming they are mechanical gauges (like mine.) I want to retain the temp & oil lights in addition to fitting the gauges. Now, I see there's an adapter that lets you plug both into the oil filter housing - that seems straightforward, but what about the temp? There's lots of talk about using an adapter that plugs into your radiator hose. The gauge's sensor needs to be immersed in the flow of coolant, so using a threaded adapter for the inlet manifold doesn't seem to be the way to go. What did you do? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

They DO look good, especially being chrome.

Wrongway, can I ask how you went about fitting the oil & temp lines to the engine? I'm assuming they are mechanical gauges (like mine.) I want to retain the temp & oil lights in addition to fitting the gauges. Now, I see there's an adapter that lets you plug both into the oil filter housing - that seems straightforward, but what about the temp? There's lots of talk about using an adapter that plugs into your radiator hose. The gauge's sensor needs to be immersed in the flow of coolant, so using a threaded adapter for the inlet manifold doesn't seem to be the way to go. What did you do? 

oh i would be interested in this too 👍

need pictures wrongway !!!

• Like 2

Perfect - thanks for going to all that effort. On my own engine, I simply use the shorter oil filter replacement to clear the headers. The dizzy pad sounds like a great option and unfortunately I don't have an extra temp bung on the inlet. I saw online that some companies make water necks with a bung just for that purpose, but not for my engine.

I looked at that skinny supplied nylon tubing and wondered do they really expect hot pressurised engine oil to keep getting pushed into that and for it to last? I guess that's why the gauge set was well priced. Where do I source the upgraded copper tubing?

Hot engine oil all over the windscreen! Hilarious to all observers except for the bloke inside the car trying to steer!

Thanks Wrongway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agreed bro. Running along as happy as could be about 85mph and pop! It got exciting for a few min. This is the tubing kit I buy bro, it comes with the needed fittings. I buy them at my local auto parts store but ebay, amazon or justa about anyplace should carry them bro.

IMG_2800.jpg

• Like 2

Well done mate :cheers: congratulations :dancingpontiac:

time to now run in that brand new motor!!! 

i expect  lots of pictures  :cheers:  

i am so pleased for you!!! all that bloody work!!! all that stress, all the fulfillment !!!

now go do some skids and post them on fp !!!! 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always liked Parisiennes and I was finally going to buy one. I emailed the Qld Pontiac Car Club and asked them if enough spares were available for Parisiennes. The Club president informed me that Parisiennes weren't 'real' Pontiacs but tarted up Chevys made for export. Any Parisienne owners out there shouldn't take offense to that - I still love them but they were sold in Australia as Pontiacs and charged for accordingly but were actually Chevs in Pontiac sheetmetal. Then I saw the GP and knew THAT was what I wanted. So, I always felt indebted for the Club for swaying my decision. I joined up shortly after buying the GP. The thing is, all the club events are based in SE Qld (2000km south of me - Queensland is a BIG place) so none of their outings are any use to me.

I shall join a coupla local clubs and use that membership to essentially drive where I please, as long as one of their events is close by.

• Like 2