Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

• 1 month later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I didn't work on any of my cars this past week. Instead I was working on my buddy's '51 Ford Victoria lead sled. It has a 90s era Mustang 5.0 EFI motor and AOD and a S10 rear end (with disc brakes) in it. This winter I helped him remove the driver's seat for re-upholstery. His wife re-did the seat and it was now time to put it back in. We also had to run power to the seat as it has a power seat base in it.

The hard part was getting to the wiring harness. The genius that rebuilt this lead sled in the first place (not by my buddy) installed a 25-circuit Pro Touring Painless wiring harness in the center of the dash instead to either side. Normally that wouldn't be an issue. Then he installed a retro air conditioning unit right in front of the harness. You can barely get your hand into it. Then a console was fashioned for an aftermarket radio, gear shift and cup holders in front of that! So running a power lead to the wiring harness and getting it to stay was a huge PITA given the cluster f*ck situation I was dealing with.

Once we got the seat installed and tested, it was on to the radio. The speaker wiring was a major hack job onto itself. I ended up having to remove the driver and passenger side kick panels, remove some of the sound deadener to find the speaker wire going to the door speakers and splice in new speaker wire and run it back to the radio console. I buttoned everything up and then the passenger side speaker died! Dang it!

The speaker would cut out when I closed the door. I ended up removing the speaker from the door. I replaced both connectors to the speaker and eventually the speaker itself. 

Now the car has two out of four working speakers (the 2 in the package tray we didn't touch - that will happen later this summer). The push was to get the seat and radio working. He leaves Thursday for a car show in Maggie Valley North Carolina. This is a car he drives across country.

In all this took about 3 nights and a good part of Saturday afternoon. It was worth it though.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

Man I feel your pain!! Been there and done that, but the long drive will help him chill out!! If he has any problems that might happen near me let me know !!

Wayne

Here is what my buddy's '51 looks like on the outside and the inside. Yes, there are ghost flames in the paint job. That's an Oldsmobile steering column and steering wheel. You can see, somewhat, just exactly what I was dealing with from a wiring perspective too.

IMG_6675.thumb.JPG.03ca742cc47978fec4f661398adf6e49.JPGIMG_6676.thumb.JPG.821334f27f05372a4ed0b4466a51faee.JPGIMG_6677.thumb.JPG.0afaf0947244c140742c5d745b99f35c.JPGIMG_6678.thumb.JPG.1e86a866b004f2c588c364fd16d29753.JPGIMG_6679.thumb.JPG.e8d8ccfb987caf1878707f0ba3c0e9f5.JPGIMG_6680.thumb.JPG.7bc6010fd86b8def13dc8a4dde1bb1ac.JPGIMG_6681.thumb.JPG.7af3c38069df5a73716760f4ca669ef1.JPG

• Like 1

wow!!! that is one cool 51!! you certainly had your work cut out for you doing work on a custom mate! 

i can see that big console in the middle, clearly some one didnt think when they put the fuse panel in the middle of the car !

i am with you, stick it under the dash left or right so you can get too it !

• Like 2

Thanks Kiwi. It was a huge PITA to get to. Barely any room to stick your hand in their to replace a fuse or run the auxiliary wire to power the power driver's seat. I still have to run new speaker wire to the rear speakers later this summer. Oh what fun that should be....the wiring in that console is a serious hack job.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Thanks Kiwi. It was a huge PITA to get to. Barely any room to stick your hand in their to replace a fuse or run the auxiliary wire to power the power driver's seat. I still have to run new speaker wire to the rear speakers later this summer. Oh what fun that should be....the wiring in that console is a serious hack job.

i would pull the console to make it easier to get your wires to the back 

• Like 1

THe console is easy. It lifts upwards except when it comes close the A/C unit. It was built to spec for sure! There are cut out holes between the carpet and the bottom of the console to run wires to the radio but without removing the shifter completely, it's tough but not impossible to fish wires in and out of.

My biggest future challenge is how to run the new rear speaker wire since the carpet is all glued down. I suspect it will be run along and under the rocker cover panels, up under the dash, to the console, to the radio.

• 4 weeks later...

So dropped the G6 back down to the ground,  aired the tires, charged the battery, fired it for the 1st time.  Checked er top to bottom and then filled the A/C.  Had to take it in for exhaust and got it back home yesterday.  Started cleaning on it for Saturday, but I've got the GTO to get out for the 1st time this year and more than enough to keep me busy. JustaG6 is on her own.  GTO has fired right up, battery is low and on the charger.  Pull it out and start the cleaning/polishing before the storms hit in a couple hours.

• Like 2

Does JustaG6 know that? Sometimes she relies on daddy Justa to clean and polish too. 

I will probably be at the show field before 8 am to help finish setting things up on Saturday.

She spent 4hrs in the garage cleaning interior last nite.  She worked on the foggy headlights for an hour til her arm gave out.  Finally after at least 6 months I finally got the rear hatch open on her Torrent.  Ordered a new switch which came in yesterday so when I stopped by today I did her headlights with the pricey, but the BEST kit I've used on her plastic headlights.  Meguires.  She still has a wax job to do on RED.  Dad has never  got her car ready for a show, but help her out and show her what to do to geterdone. Usually recheck the torque on the lugnuts when she cleans the rims/tires and the wheelwells.  If she is still all about workin on her car and going to shows with DAD.....I've done something right.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1

So now she post this..... from her garage. She must be home from work.

It's a vid of all her cleaning products N tools and a pan down the side of her car.  Adding the music....It's the most wonderful time of the year.  :pop_corn:    Had to take it down as it was sent in PM. It give access to all her pic's.  She wouldn't be happy, anymore.  Try this instead.

image.thumb.png.a5fd9530460cd7f17be5e86fd5c1b9f0.png

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

So now she post this..... from her garage. She must be home from work.

It's a vid of all her cleaning products N tools and a pan down the side of her car.  Adding the music....It's the most wonderful time of the year.  :pop_corn:    Had to take it down as it was sent in PM. It give access to all her pic's.  She wouldn't be happy, anymore.  Try this instead.

image.thumb.png.a5fd9530460cd7f17be5e86fd5c1b9f0.png

I am impressed justA !!!

how the heck did you manage to train your daughter to detail cars !!!! 

Mine justA drive theirs !!! 

• Haha 1

I have a son who details cars too. He JUSTA expects me to pay him, even though he still lives under my roof, and has a corner of my garage mahal.

He hasn’t gotten a dime out of me so far this year. He hasn't made a dime detailing cars this year either. I guess selling new and used cars is a full time job! Aw what a pity!

Edited by Frosty
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

ah, i have given up on my kids, i am working on my 4 year old grandson, i have a California duster and he has learnt to clean his ford ranger with it !! 

EAC0C77D-C5C3-48FC-9545-16C7453EC5D8.jpeg

Start em early, that's the key.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

I am impressed justA !!!

how the heck did you manage to train your daughter to detail cars !!!! 

Mine justA drive theirs !!! 

My kids were never handed the keys to a car, they had to earn it with their own money. They appreciate it sooo much more.  Then teach em how to take pride N care of THEIR ride.  The G6 is her 1st NEW ride.  She is still babysitting it like a puppy.  Almost 200,000. miles and startin to pop some rust on the rockers.  Finding parts is the biggest problem.  This car has had very little go wrong over it's lifetime.  Absolutely amazing.  Keeping up on the oil changes/ brakes for her.  She's not big on doing her own maintenance and she takes it in for most of the small stuff, oil and tires anymore.   I help her out N save her a few $$$$ when I can. She drives a very cool Pontiac Torrent as her daily driver.  :dancingpontiac: My youngest daughter is still into cars as well.  She Justa runs in a Buick Riv'y with her husband.   My son owns his own custom shop in FLA.  Lots of used motor oil has run over these gearheads. 

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 2

Guess Justa66 don't wanna go to the show!!!  Packed the trunk, pulled it out to do the interior for our clubs Dustoff Show tomorrow and it started clattering. WTF? Pop'ed the hood to see the alternator was in a major speed wobble and ready to fly off.   Broke the piviot bolt off in the head. Drill, easy out, tap, reinstall right?  NOT  Nothin would touch the broken hardened bolt I used.  Once I finally got through hours later,  broke the next size larger drill bit in the hole.  Easy out??? Felt that lettin go.  It broke as I was backin it out.  Whew came out with pliers.  I'll Justa use one of the other bolt holes and make a new slider bracket like I did for the 1st one. Yea...NO  Wouldn't work. Every position hits the valve cover and would't slide to adjust belt. OR would short out on the valve cover if I had the battery hooked up.  I will have to pickup a new drill bit and tap the hole up to a 7/16, but this means drilling the Alternator pivot hole as well.  Callin it........ DOA  9:30pm.  Will take the truck tomorrow to haul the tent,  Pontiac signs for the G6.  I am pre registered so I still get a dash plaque and a shot at a doorprize.  This sucks......

• Sad 4

Can you weld another bolt to the broken one and try to remove that way? I had to do that once after going thru everything you did! Good luck!

1 hour ago, wdl182 said:

Can you weld another bolt to the broken one and try to remove that way? I had to do that once after going thru everything you did! Good luck!

Still have a large piece waaay back in the hole on one side.  Tapped to original size, but two sloppy and the part stuck at bottom of the hole won't let it go in all the way.  Will have to go next size larger and Tap,  then enlarge the pivot bolt hole on alternator to match.  OR I could Justa pull the heads N swap em, putting the bad hole in the back....reassemble.:rofl: