Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Yesterday was another day of unparalleled fun. It was finally time to man up and support the car on my Chinese made jack stands (I don't have a hoist unlike other showoffs on this forum) and crawl under there and remove the final bolts that hold the engine in place, namely the torque converter housing and flex plate bolts. The housing was easy to remove. So, the torque coverter bolts have shallow heads, I suppose to ensure clearance as they spin around, so any wrench has minimal contact with the head. There's no way any socket will ever squeeze in there because of the proximity of the oil pan. In addition to this, the welded ring gear provides a nice little bump of molten steel adjacent to the bolt head, so that when you finally get some purchase on the bolt, as the wrench starts to turn, the shank touches the bump and your tool spins off, normally in the direction of your face. After much ducking & weaving as the wrench flew off several times, I changed the direction of the wrench, slid a piece of pipe over it's end as a cheater bar and finally, reluctantly the bolt loosened. Time to crawl out, turn the engine over a bit, crawl back under and repeat until the other 2 bolts lined up - thankfully there are only 3. I slept for 10 hours last night!

As far as I can tell, the engine is now ready to come out. I will take photos of that event, especially the bit where 300kg of cast iron crashes to the floor. Always best to look on the gloomy side. That way, when it happens there's no surprise and if it doesn't happen, then life is good.😊

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Sounds like Butler Performance likes Flow Kooler.....read on mate!

https://butlerperformance.com/n-13390-pontiac-water-pumps.html

Butler is one of THE top notch Pontiac engine builders in the U.S.!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the add saved in my in my HARD file.  (real paper)  Was recommended after I  had replaced everything in the cooling system on the GTO.  Came out of Crusin news.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little perplexed as to what was making the tick, tick, tick sound when my car abruptly came off the concrete slab many moons ago. I assumed that the oil pan had been pushed up against the crank or the oil pickup was touching something, but after seeing that dodgy rocker, is it possible that the bump made it go awry? A malfunctioning tappet caused excessive clearance and then the rocker moves sideways?

The oil pump pickup & windage tray are absolutely untouched.

Edited by Fitzy
Grammar correction
  • Like 2

wow look at those tiny chambers !! , and flat top pistons ... certainly hi comp engine 👍

image.png.35bddc8e19a615e8e6074e594df23156.png

fitzy, your heads are way cleaner than mine was when i popped the covers off, mine was full of gunk,, last indian suggested it was from lots of short runs and the motor not getting hot enough.

little old lady used for church on sundays 1 block away syndrome:rofl:

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 3:10 AM, Fitzy said:

Today I bought some heavy duty degreaser and washed down the engine bay and engine. Every day I remove another couple of parts and today the distributor, fuel pump & water pump came off. Take a look at the water pump - what the f@#k is going on there? I'm thinking of a Flow Kooler replacement. Does anyone have any experience with one of those? I read that Pontiacs have an 'inherent hot run problem.' I also stopped worrying about the harmonic balancer bolt, wedged a screwdriver into the flex plate, got my torque wrench & impact socket out and then slipped on my purpose made piece of water pipe (that I found at the tip) and with a bit of effort that sucker came undone.

I noticed that when I removed the distributor, it has no radial play in it's shaft, but will move up & down about 2 or 3mm. Does that sound right? I would imagine that a little bit of lash helps it mesh with the camshaft gear.

20210816_165629.jpg

20210816_155433.jpg

With that much corrosion, think about replacing those 55 year old freeze plugs in the block. They might be gettin pretty thin.

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I am a little perplexed as to what was making the tick, tick, tick sound when my car abruptly came off the concrete slab many moons ago. I assumed that the oil pan had been pushed up against the crank or the oil pickup was touching something, but after seeing that dodgy rocker, is it possible that the bump made it go awry? A malfunctioning tappet caused excessive clearance and then the rocker moves sideways?

The oil pump pickup & windage tray are absolutely untouched.

Check the dust shield on the tranny if you think it bottomed out?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

man i am so glad you pulled your motor down first :cheers:.

by the time october comes round, i will have all the bits sitting here ready for you to refresh my 389 !!!

haahha... box a beers in it for ya too :cheers:

:rofl:

Mate, we'll crack a coupla beers then simply whack that baby back together. What could go wrong? Don't worry about machining, crack testing or honing it. We'll just fill the block with goodies then fry the tyres until the Boss calls us back in and gives you a smack for being naughty...which you probably enjoy.

• Haha 2