Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 2 weeks later...

Fitzy 

This is for you more so than the guys and gals state side. 

friday night i get a supercheap junk email banging on about their latest specials, and i notice the nulon. 

So i asked our oil guru Last Indian about them and here are his thoughts....

Nulon semi synthetic 15W40 High Torque or the 15W40 High protection! And the High protection would be my personal preference because of the specs. The ash numbers and the TBN numbers are the highest in these two oils! And by a substantial amount! The higher TBN numbers will do a better job of protecting your engine a well as keeping it clean. The higher ash will do a much better job of protecting your engine from wear! 

so.... i went and bough some while it was on special @ 25% off 👍, dont minded the beer fridge in the back ground in my work van, its full of bottles of water during the week, and when i go to the beach, it fits a whole 24 bottles of db export 33 very nicely :cheers::rofl:

4E06792C-4E0D-4107-A95E-07BDC2C56789.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Thanks Kiwi. I use Penrite exclusively and probably always will. Like you, whenever oil was cheap, I stocked up 10 litres at a time, the reasoning being that once the 389 was running, I'd run engine flush through it, then every few hot runs, drain and replace oil & filter until all the crud was out of the engine. Since I am now pulling the engine and tearing it down, I'll use those cheaper oils to get through the first few hot runs. If engine work is needed, I will of course chuck some additives in to assist with initial break in. I'm hoping to get away with a teardown & inspection only since the compression seems to be very good. It'd be nice to get some hardened valve seats installed and a valve job just to freshen it up. It's never going to go on any significant runs, maybe 100km max.

Anyway, thanks to you and Last Indian for the advice. I'll keep an eye on the TBN numbers in future - I have always gone by the SAE classification in the past.

Never heard of DB Export. I drank Steinlager the last time I flew Air NZ - a fine beer. We might have to do a tasting session once we rock up at your joint later this year.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Thanks Kiwi. I use Penrite exclusively and probably always will. Like you, whenever oil was cheap, I stocked up 10 litres at a time, the reasoning being that once the 389 was running, I'd run engine flush through it, then every few hot runs, drain and replace oil & filter until all the crud was out of the engine. Since I am now pulling the engine and tearing it down, I'll use those cheaper oils to get through the first few hot runs. If engine work is needed, I will of course chuck some additives in to assist with initial break in. I'm hoping to get away with a teardown & inspection only since the compression seems to be very good. It'd be nice to get some hardened valve seats installed and a valve job just to freshen it up. It's never going to go on any significant runs, maybe 100km max.

Anyway, thanks to you and Last Indian for the advice. I'll keep an eye on the TBN numbers in future - I have always gone by the SAE classification in the past.

Never heard of DB Export. I drank Steinlager the last time I flew Air NZ - a fine beer. We might have to do a tasting session once we rock up at your joint later this year.

Ah every man to his own i say :cheers: hahaha, i shaw we can find a wee fine brew to you liken fitzy :cheers::P

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

In the absence of my car (still at upholsterer and I'm about to fly to work for 3 weeks) I thought I'd start the day with a triple shot of wild turkey...afterwards, I thought I'd watch Dr Phil, then Ellen and perhaps eat takeaway pizza until it was time for a beer. Thank goodness I'm going to work!

20210513_084739.thumb.jpg.c6df1f011b4246696131d373e1002676.jpg

fitzy, you have one very cool back yard mate:cheers:... do you have banana trees ??

when you go do your driving job, are you in the mines ??? whats your job 🙄...

and hay you like pizza ?? have you seen my pizza oven i built ?? 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man, did you see this? What was Frosty thinking??? If I'd been there with him and spotted those guages, I would have pushed him to the ground and ran over him, elbowed all the other punters out of the way and rammed fistfuls of cash down the seller's throat!

I'll forgive Frosty only for his past generosity, but Frosty - if you ever walk past another tacho like that one, well...maybe we shouldn't be friends. I need a drink.

Mumble, grumble, bitch, moan...all we see at Aussie swap meets are the same trailers full of rusty mangled shit that we saw last year and then the drug addled sellers stand there and think they're gonna fleece you for their 'gold.' I know where the gold is, for I have the precious!

20210523_104855.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Man, did you see this? What was Frosty thinking??? If I'd been there with him and spotted those guages, I would have pushed him to the ground and ran over him, elbowed all the other punters out of the way and rammed fistfuls of cash down the seller's throat!

I'll forgive Frosty only for his past generosity, but Frosty - if you ever walk past another tacho like that one, well...maybe we shouldn't be friends. I need a drink.

Mumble, grumble, bitch, moan...all we see at Aussie swap meets are the same trailers full of rusty mangled shit that we saw last year and then the drug addled sellers stand there and think they're gonna fleece you for their 'gold.' I know where the gold is, for I have the precious!

20210523_104855.jpg

How many do you need?   For someone looking for that missing piece like you were, it's been one fine day to find em. :cheers:  To buy them up and put em on a shelf where they do nobody any good? :slap: Lost a very close friend a couple of years ago.  He had his entire garage stuffed to the ceiling with hard to find parts of all kinds.  He and his son looked for weeks before he passed, for the center console and His/hers shifter from a 67 GTO to GIVE to me!  The combo together is worth $800 from the few I ran across and didn't have the $$ for at the time.   I had my HURST T handle engraved with Brian's name so I never forget he rides with me every time I fire that car.   After he passed, his son had 2 weeks to empty the garage/house rental.  Everything we drug outta that garage, was phone calls to get out N get it NOW, if you want it, to anyone we could think of.  It made us all sick and to be truthful there wasn't one of us standing there with a dry eye when they hauled off that million dollar dumpster to the landfill.  What would your family do with boxes of car parts sitting on a shelf???  As IndymanJoe say's..... I hope my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.:lol2:  Frosty, friend's like you make the world go round buddy.

Brian

Your still thought of often.

2016 6-18 Brian-M1 002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

That's a good story, JustA. I hope nobody took offense to what I said because that certainly wasn't the intention. I probably still have 'tacho fever' and get jittery whenever I see one for sale. Surely one more can't hurt-I could have His And Hers Tachos.

And you can all be assured that Frosty's generosity will never be forgotten. I love that friggin' tacho to bits and I never forget how lucky I am to have procured it. In my mind, I have a mental image of Frosty dragging me away by my feet as my fingernails leave marks in the ground and me screaming "but it's for sale!"

My ol buddy has been on my mind alot the last couple days.  Guess I didn't mean for it to sound like I was raggin on you.  Sorry if it came out that way.  I know how excited you were to get the tach.  Justa thinkin about the stuff we had to throw away because we had no place to put it.  Brian's son couldn't afford a storage unit and really wasn't into cars like his Dad. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yeah man, no sweat. My sense of humour can be a little caustic sometimes but I never mean to offend.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...