Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Right - photo replaced. Now the only extras in the shot are her Mazda and some of our water tanks! It's an 'underwear free zone' much like my own good self.

If I could shift the car I'd get a better shot but it has to sit where it is for now. Gotta whip the donk out pretty soon.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

3 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Right - photo replaced. Now the only extras in the shot are her Mazda and some of our water tanks! It's an 'underwear free zone' much like my own good self.

If I could shift the car I'd get a better shot but it has to sit where it is for now. Gotta whip the donk out pretty soon.

safe as!!! hehehe.👍

Whilst I'm here, I may as well post some pics and tell the tale of What I Did To My Car Today:

So, I picked up the rear seat cushion today. It's the original vinyl covering that came with the car and I asked that the upholsterer reuse it. Sure, it's not perfect but that's good coz it'll match everything else! Cue 'back seat driver joke!' I might chuck a coat of black vinyl spray on it so that all the colours match. The steering wheel is a work in progress. It's the original wheel but most of the plastic rim had disintegrated, so what you see in the photo is my handiwork consisting of epoxy putty and fibreglass resin. I individually shaped all the finger grips on it's underside with a Dremel - now you know what sent me mad.

The other object is my 55 year old main lighting switch, which 'shit itself' when I pulled it apart to fit the new knob & shaft that I ordered. Of course, only NOW do I realise that there was no need to pull it apart to fit a new shaft - you just press on the little spring loaded doodad under the switch to release the old shaft. So, new switch via eBay is on it's way. Check out the ancient mechanical springs and copper bits that make everything work.

The other photo shows the rear parcel shelf that I made, in position along with the recovered rear armrests just sitting in place waiting for the rear seat back to go back in. I reused the old rear interior panel trims because they're 'acceptable.' I'm getting excited, because the interior is on the cusp of being completed. Note those ultra cool 'starburst' interior lights that were apparently a desirable option back in the day. I'm lucky to have them AND in such good condition. There are new front door trim panels coming.

20210705_163235.jpg

20210705_163210.jpg

20210705_163446.jpg

Oh, and for our international viewers, here's a coupla shots of our resident wallabies harrassing me as I'm attempting to sit quietly with a beer.  There's always a few joeys around at this time of the year (our winter.)

20210705_170058.jpg

20210705_170147.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How much more work do you have on the steering wheel FItzy?

You're making great progress mate! :cheers:

Edited by Frosty

Hi Frosty,  it's almost there-just some final finessing of the shape and then a final coat of resin before I paint it. If it looks horrible, I'll get a high quality leather wrap to fit around the rim. Do you think I could find an original replacement? They seem to be as rare as the 1965 specific trunk lock.

I'd love a Grant wood rimned wheel but they're a bit rich for me.

great work mate 👍, i feel your pain with the steering wheel, way back in my thread, i posted a whole bunch of pictures from early last year when i rebuilt my wheel.. it was worse than yours! it had been cut with the jaws of life to get the driver out, so i had to straighten it, weld it back together, reconstruct the plastic and painfully shape and sand 25 million finger grip bumps!!! and thats why i am a crazy mad man now !! :stars:

And Gees those rats are big!!!! :rofl:

image.png.e71f7f8f0095c05553c85d368fd40f1e.png

image.png.7a2853665414da954133bbc762af1a67.png

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Nice work. I was hoping nobody else had to endure what I did, but there you go. Lookin' good.

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Nice work. I was hoping nobody else had to endure what I did, but there you go. Lookin' good.

wrongway, did his wheel on his 63 last year too mate... he will tell you how much fun it was :rofl:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

and you know why we both endured ?? 

there is none out there... i googled the death out of this and the closest i came up with  was a firm on your little island that does Perl custom wheels.. super cool... super cool price too!🙄

so. i sanded, and sanded and sanded. and after that i sanded some more !! hahaha:cheers:

it was worth it ! just because i know my factory wheel is STILL on my girl..i have had many a after market wheel let me down! inc the grant in my camaro.. shitty horn assembly ... and justA poor quality after market junk.. factory=👍

I remember going down the pearl rim route because they DO look superb - I think it was going to be about $2k. That was the moment I closed the email, had another critical look at my wheel and decided that for about $100, I could resurrect it. Then I had a beer, and all of a sudden, clarity came streaming in and off I went to buy resin & putty. The only thing that continues to irk me is the faded 'Grand Prix' printing on the crazed plastic horn button. I wonder if someone can replicate that?

• Haha 1

So, I googled '1965 Pontiac Grand Prix horn button' and to my amazement, several were for sale: one for ten bucks! I will reassess when I get home. I should have asked Frosty to look out for one when he went to his big car show. Perhaps, he'll be kind enough to do just that. One day, we'll have beers together and will chuckle about all these things. Of course, once every strain of Covid has wiped out most of the population, I'll be zimmer framing around, laughing at Frosty with his hip replacements.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I remember going down the pearl rim route because they DO look superb - I think it was going to be about $2k. That was the moment I closed the email, had another critical look at my wheel and decided that for about $100, I could resurrect it. Then I had a beer, and all of a sudden, clarity came streaming in and off I went to buy resin & putty. The only thing that continues to irk me is the faded 'Grand Prix' printing on the crazed plastic horn button. I wonder if someone can replicate that?

you can only but hope that there is another one out there mate!!! 

22 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Hi Frosty,  it's almost there-just some final finessing of the shape and then a final coat of resin before I paint it. If it looks horrible, I'll get a high quality leather wrap to fit around the rim. Do you think I could find an original replacement? They seem to be as rare as the 1965 specific trunk lock.

I'd love a Grant wood rimned wheel but they're a bit rich for me.

Fitzy - best you can do is find an original and restore it. No one re-pops those steerng wheels. 

I use to have a Grant wood wheel for Lucy. I'm not sure I still have it though but I might. It's probably buried in my storage unit with all of her spare parts. If I find it, I suppose you'd want it?

Edited by Frosty

Frosty, if you can be bothered to dig it out I'll certainly have a look at it but don't make it a priority. Kiwi wasn't impressed with the quality of his but it may have been an isolated case. I have no experience with aftermarket steering wheels: I know you use a boss to adapt them, but that's all I know.

I've put so much work into my old wheel and like the way it matches everything else: in other words it's supposed to be there. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Pontiac offer a wood rimmed sports wheel as an option? If the Grant looks very close, I may consider it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fitzy said:

So, I googled '1965 Pontiac Grand Prix horn button' and to my amazement, several were for sale: one for ten bucks! I will reassess when I get home. I should have asked Frosty to look out for one when he went to his big car show. Perhaps, he'll be kind enough to do just that. One day, we'll have beers together and will chuckle about all these things. Of course, once every strain of Covid has wiped out most of the population, I'll be zimmer framing around, laughing at Frosty with his hip replacements.

As a matter of fact, we have another Pontiac car show this weekend. Not sure what to expect from the swap meet perspective (and there is a chance for rain in the forecast too).

So do you boys have a shopping list? Or do I have to beat you with my cane and run you over in my Amigo? :driving:

Edited by Frosty

Grand Prix horn button! And whatever other crap i previously requested: tail light assemblies & tacho...and a tripower for the sheep shagger.

Screenshot_20210708-062641_Samsung Internet.jpg

9 hours ago, Fitzy said:

and a tripower for the sheep shagger.

aye !!! :rofl:,

i eat sheep!!! never shag the dumb arse critter!

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

As a matter of fact, we have another Pontiac car show this weekend. Not sure what to expect from the swap meet perspective (and there is a chance for rain in the forecast too).

So do you boys have a shopping list? Or do I have to beat you with my cane and run you over in my Amigo? :driving:

frosty, if you trip over a pair of 64 bonni head lights surrounds... i will certainly be appreciative :bowdown: 

I will look boys. No promises - only because weather forecast is 50/50 for rain Saturday morning currently. So swap meet vendors might be put off.

Thanks Frosty - nothing is critical but it's SO good to have some eyes Stateside who can be there whilst we can't.

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

I will look boys. No promises - only because weather forecast is 50/50 for rain Saturday morning currently. So swap meet vendors might be put off.

yeah frosty no stress from my point of view too! isn't going to stop my girl moving forward... but having said that we do love pictures!!! so if you do get to the swap meet, show us some pics and prices !! would be interesting to see what parts and cars are being offered for:cheers:, enjoy your weekend :)... i have a bad news story to tell about one of my cars, but i will post that else where once i go and pick it up! 

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Must be new, I don't ever remember swap meet here.  They are too busy with Joe's charity.

Swap meet for Baker's is across the parking lot from the restaurant Justa. That said, last time I don't recall a formal swap meet just for the show. Swap meet vendors in general show up for Baker's.

Never seen ANY vendor there except for the guy selling shirts/models/signs by the door.  I'm usually broke so it doesn't matter.   I forgot completely about the 421 sign I found at the Dustoff, need to post that and the link to the vendor.

Well I totally blew off the car show on Saturday. I ended going to the estate sale of my late racquetball partner of 25+ years instead. I am good friends with his daughter and son-in-law as well - who were hosting the event. I ended up picking up an air hammer, a cordless 1/4 ratchet drive set, a 4-way lug wrench for the garage, and a pair of NOS AC oil filters for Lucy (PF25s). I didn't have to pay anything for it either, I have to buy Darrell and Laurie dinner.....

So boys I whimped out and didn't go shopping for you. My apologies on that.

• Like 1