Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hi Guys, I only just got back from work last night after more overtime AND whilst I was away we had no phone service nor Internet, so it seems I have a bit to catch up with.

Anyway, as a reward to myself for doing so many extra hours, I spent frivolously (relax - it's now a word) and added some bling to the GP. I kept looking at those chrome louvred air cleaners and could never justify the ask, but then I remembered that this is my one and only life and I'd hate to fall to the ground one day, clutching my chest and breathing my last and thinking "why didn't I buy that bloody air cleaner?" So, behold it's beauty. It makes the old can look positively dowdy. I'm not sure that sucking in all that warm air from around the engine is gonna shave a coupla tenths off my quarter mile times, but I'll look cool as I limp to the finish line dead last.

I also procured a new Ames supplied auto floor shift chrome button. The original plastichromed item had shed it's skin and the new one is machined metal - much better than the original. It's not often you read a sentence like that. If you have a floor shift auto and your little chrome button is looking scrappy, I wholeheartedly recommend this part. It'll be a bitchin' accessory for your console mounted tacho, too!

Whilst I was having fun, I had a look at my sun damaged horn button, pulled it apart, derusted the innards, and sanded the plastic face with wet 1200, then some Autosol chrome polish and finally some cream polish. I repainted the metal piece that forms the background gloss black and glued it all back together. Sure, it's never gonna look like new but looks much better and cost me nothing to do.

It's a public holiday today so of course everything is shut, including my upholsterer, so I will pick up my remaining interior pieces on Monday and I MIGHT have a complete interior by lunchtime.

20210716_162436.jpg

20210716_131802.jpg

20210716_162459.jpg

20210716_132001.jpg

20210716_154937.jpg

20210716_155458.jpg

Edited by Fitzy
Double up on photo
  • Like 2

The old girl is looking better and better in her new prom dress there Fitzy! 

I find it amazing that there is more chrome on the inside of the car than in the engine bay. Perhaps you may have to tweak that a bit more to stave off impending death even further. Perhaps chrome valve covers and breathers.

• Haha 2

Thanks Boys, the engine bay will get a thorough makeover once the donk comes out. You know, I never liked chrome valve covers. I like factory colours OR those beautiful cast ones that were a factory accessory - I've seen some old Corvette ones that were finned alloy with a beautiful flowing  'Corvette' script across them. I'd have a pair of those in a Pontiac format in a jiffy.

• Like 1

So, I keep gabbing on about pulling the engine out. Today as I was staring at it (this happens with worrying regularity) I thought "if I do a bit each day, eventually it'll be ready to come out and I can stop laying in bed at 3am wondering what size stroker kit to put in." So, today after brushcutting and mowing the 'yard' I finished polishing the chrome steering wheel piece that houses the centre emblem on the steering wheel and then in an uncommon burst of energy, rolled up my sleeves and removed the radiator, shroud, fan & alternator. The rusty sludge that tried to come out of the radiator when I gave it a flush was horrifying. I had to break the original radiator hose clamps in order to remove those ancient hoses,  so I reckon I'm in for a treat as I delve deeper into the project. I removed my spanking new blingy air cleaner and placed it safely in the Pontiac Room. If that thing gets scratched, I'll kill whatever helpless creature is nearby. Well, not really. I'll probably sob gently and then grab a beer. I'll post relevant pics as soon as I find something interesting to photograph.

So, here's my thinking: I reckon I'll stroke it but am more than happy with 389 to 421. Why? There's no use making it into a 461 when I'm using the original 389 heads with their original size valves. I'll end up with an underfed engine. The 389 is no slouch as it is, but a few extra cubes (6.4 to 6.9 litres) will be sufficient. If the block is bored 30 thou, it'll be getting pretty close to 7 litres - surely that's enough engine! I may have to rejet the Carter but that should be enough.

• Like 2

Another day on the car: I did a test spray of black vinyl on the old rear seat cushion and it came up really nice. I'll spray the entire thing tomorrow as well as the reupholstred back cushion that I'm going to pick up tomorrow - that way they'll match the brand new front seat covers.

After that, I pulled a few more bits off the engine. Frosty observed that the engine seemed to be lacking some shiny bits, so I polished up the fan, it's pulley and the alternator. Now, I may be late to the party but I experimented today and after sanding all those engine parts (360 wet then1200 wet) I did the final polish with Autosol, but applied it with 0000 grade steel wool. As you can see, it buffed up nicely. I will mention that I sanded several times with those grades of sandpaper to get the parts as shiny and as smooth as possible before polishing with the cream, and finally hand buffing with a piece of old towel. The centre of the fan is how the whole thing looked initially. I'm going to polish that as soon as the rust converter on it dries.

And, after removing the carby, just like Kiwi I had not one but two phenolic spacers that looked like they had been there since Day One. I'll replace them with a nice big fat new one. I unbolted the headers (if your life is lacking that special experience, try unbolting headers) and disconnected all the little doodads and wires, so it should only be mounts and bellhousing bolts left, pop the hood off and out she comes. Yep, just like that - it'll probably jump out itself.

20210718_135303.jpg

20210718_163948.jpg

Edited by Fitzy
Forgot something
  • Like 1

yip that gaskets justA like mine mate.... hay watch out for the 2 earth straps bolted to the back of each head to the firewall 👍

i missed one and when i pulled the motor it pulled apart 😡

• Like 2

Thanks Kiwi. There are no less than 4 little earth straps that ground the motor to the car. You'd think they would have earthed the battery onto one of those railway tracks that form the chassis, but it goes to the motor and then the motor is grounded to the car.

I didn't realise you'd already pulled your engine. Any dramas? It's been a while since I did one. I remember having to ensure that the torque converter stayed in place after engine removal, but that's about all.

• Like 1

Have you test run the car yet with that caby restrictor removed?

Edited by Fitzy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Thanks Kiwi. There are no less than 4 little earth straps that ground the motor to the car. You'd think they would have earthed the battery onto one of those railway tracks that form the chassis, but it goes to the motor and then the motor is grounded to the car.

I didn't realise you'd already pulled your engine. Any dramas? It's been a while since I did one. I remember having to ensure that the torque converter stayed in place after engine removal, but that's about all.

When I pulled my motor I kept the trans hooked to the motor 👍👍

but it was easy as ! Had the whole front clip off so I could see and get to everything .... except that one earth strap !!! :rofl:

9 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Have you test run the car yet with that caby restrictor removed?

I didn’t remove the thermal plate mate 

I think it’s a must to keep from what I have read .... and I see your carb is exactly like mine ...

i will let ya know when it stops snowing, raining and blowing and I can get out there to bolt it on and tune it !! 👍

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

So...anybody got a single groove water pump & crank pulley set they'd like to sell? They are proving to be difficult to source. I can find a water pump one but not both. To suit my 65 GP 389.

11 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Hey JustA, there's no problem - but I got rid of the power steering and am after a clean looking engine that looks factory correct. It certainly isn't  critical - it's another frivolous purchase.

I will search my boxes.  Bought quite a few to find the right ones to finish the 421 before it went in the GTO.  Don't think I've seen a single groove crank pulley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Desert Valley Auto Parts has a crank pulley for $125. Is it just me, or do I sense price gouging? I know they're kinda rare, but I'm happy to go without and spend the money on essentials, like beer & pizza.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Desert Valley Auto Parts has a crank pulley for $125. Is it just me, or do I sense price gouging? I know they're kinda rare, but I'm happy to go without and spend the money on essentials, like beer & pizza.

Sorry,  didn't think I had a single crank pulley, in fact I don't have a spare crank pulley.  My prob was finding the large water pump pulley.  

• Like 1

You know, I did consider that but thought it was crazy. And I've already forgotten what groove does what - it's the inside groove that does the alternator, isn't it? So I COULD shave off the outside groove on the crank pulley, but would still need a new water pump pulley, as it's orientated in the opposite direction.

3 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Sorry,  didn't think I had a single crank pulley, in fact I don't have a spare crank pulley.  My prob was finding the large water pump pulley.  

Thanks JustA - it's no biggie. Something will turn up. There's an assortment of stuff on eBay I can look at when I get bored.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

JustA take your one to a machine shop and have them mill off one pull wheel mate 

Not a problem for me,  Would remove it myself if it was.  Sure wouldn't spend $125.   My mistake was removing the power steering gear box and replacing with a quick ratio.  Add steamroller tires N the things a B'ia in parking lots.  Biggest reason wife hates it.

• Haha 2