Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1963 Grand Prix

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Thank you for the pictures, there a huge help bro. I guess those will be part of tomorrows plans. I got the console put in yesterday and built a new wire harness for 2 hidden push button toggle switches for the LEDs and 2 USB ports for mama to charge her phone. Also got the driver's seat put in and figure on getting the passengers cleaned to and put in tomorrow.

• Like 2

I gotta say, your car looks really nice in that dark colour - seems to suit it. I never considered a dark colour for mine. In combination with it's lines, it looks a bit sinister.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you bro. I actually considered purple. I normally like loud popping colors, flake and candies but wanted something a bit more subtle this time. A "gentleman's hotrod" if you will. It was a trick to figure out how to add flake and keep it subtle. Now, you really have to walk up on her to be able to see that the silver roses are all chrome flakes.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So, I redid my dash a couple years ago and I think I posted pics. Over the winter my neighbors garage flooded and in turn flooded mine. While assembling Rosey I found that the dash did get damaged in the flood. So now I'm redoing it AGAIN. This time I have to replace the black cardboard looking stuff that the vinyl staples to. Can anybody please tell me the proper name of this stuff so I can get some ordered? Here's pics of 2 pieces front, back and broken so you can see the inside also.

IMG_5906.jpg

IMG_5907.jpg

IMG_5909.jpg

• Sad 2

The piece with the curved ends goes around the vent and the other piece goes around the whole outside edge of the dash. They look larger in the pics, but they may be 1/2- 3/4 inch wide.

• Sad 1

Thanks Kiwi. No idea what to make it out of. Needs to be stapled and not let staples pull out when stretching the vinyl. I considered pieces of leather but that would be expensive, thought about a couple layers of that make-a-gasket roll stuff glued together. I'll let you know what I come up with.

• Like 1

Bubba gump Heineken :cheers:

IMG_1972.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Thanks Kiwi. No idea what to make it out of. Needs to be stapled and not let staples pull out when stretching the vinyl. I considered pieces of leather but that would be expensive, thought about a couple layers of that make-a-gasket roll stuff glued together. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Yeah 

you need to go see a upholsterer mate 

they would have that special cardboard 

Or !!!

junk yard and rob a door card of a older car and strip the card of the upholstery ! 

That’s what I would do ! Haha 

• Like 1

• Founders
24 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Fried pickles is something we don’t get at home ! 
These are gerkins to me 

very very moreish !

IMG_1973.jpeg

Fried pickles are muy bien

• Haha 2

Hi Wrongway, I experienced many dramas whilst bringing my dash back to life. I ended up sculpting impossible to find bits out of body filler and then sanded them to the correct shape - hours of fun. I don't know what that cardboard stuff is called but I do know what it is. There must be a modern plastic equivalent you could use. I bonded the vinyl to the dash top using adhesive, after laying thin high density foam over it to give it a soft touch feel - modern adhesives are very good. You shouldn't need staples.

• Like 2

Yeah, no problem kiwi :rofl:

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Hi Wrongway, I experienced many dramas whilst bringing my dash back to life. I ended up sculpting impossible to find bits out of body filler and then sanded them to the correct shape - hours of fun. I don't know what that cardboard stuff is called but I do know what it is. There must be a modern plastic equivalent you could use. I bonded the vinyl to the dash top using adhesive, after laying thin high density foam over it to give it a soft touch feel - modern adhesives are very good. You shouldn't need staples.

Yeah, when I redid it the first time that's what I did also Fitzy. I was hoping to find that cardboard stuff to help hold it while stretching it. I was able to salvage the cardboard from around the defrost vents today from that dash I got from New York. Thats really the only spots I was worried about. I had honestly forgot that I had the second dash. 

• Like 2