Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

31pontiac's 1959 Bonneville

2022 November
of the Month

  • Welcome!

    Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

1963 Grand Prix


Wrongway
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I bought my Grand Prix almost a year ago. When I bought her the fella told me that she hadn't been started in around 9yrs. After having her hauled home and changing fluids & plugs she cranked but still wound start. After replacing the regulator, adjusting he carb & some general tinkering she fired up. After running for a few minutes I noticed a sound in the bottom end and shut her down. I was told the engine was a 421HO and knowing nothing about Pontiacs at the time I didn't know if that was a good thing or not. I spent the next couple days researching what I thought I had and listening to all the reasons why I needed to do an LS swap from the local guys. I finally decided to just rebuild what I thought and was told was the original engine. So I pulled the motor, tore it down and took it to the machine shop. I told the owner the story and what I thought I had and asked him if he could possibly double check for me before I started ordering parts. I got a call a few days later telling me that yes I had a 421ci motor and to start ordering parts, and I did 😀. A couple weeks go by and I get a call telling me that "we've ordered the wrong piston's". I was then told that the machinist made a mistake, he didn't measure the blocks bore he just ran the block number which came back as a 421. He continued to tell me that I had a 428 and the reason for the mistake was really not their fault, that Pontiac used left over 421 blocks to make the 428 and that's why they had a 421 part number. (Totally false). After talking to the place where I ordered the pistons they agreed to exchange them with a $50.00 restocking fee. The machine shop offered to ship them for me to save me an hour drive back to their shop. Then I get a call from the piston company telling me the pistons they got back were damaged and not in the original box. After getting pictures and looking at the video they sent me (they record the opening of all returns) it was obvious there was little packing between the pistons and they got beat all to hell. 2 weeks Later I dropped off my new pistons and rings. Almost 3 months later I pick up the engine and heads. Total time, just over 4 months on an engine that I dropped off to have cleaned up, bored 30, crank redone and parts cleaned and prepped for me to build. Anyways I've got the rebuild done and the motor back in the car and she sounds great.  

A.jpg

1aa.jpg

Aaaa.jpg

1aaaaaa.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

hay wrongway.... hows that 63 baby coming along !!!🙄???

i am sitting on my hands waiting for a gap in the traffic to get the 64 into the shed and make her run! Fitzy wetting his pants over Frostys gift to him and your doing???

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Popped my top? Over that crappy tacho? Well, yeah, I suppose I did. I've banned myself from looking at it in case I wear it out.

image.png.bf99cfaf4a1b8b7df20ff5835a78c327.png

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 7:53 AM, Wrongway said:

So I bought my Grand Prix almost a year ago. When I bought her the fella told me that she hadn't been started in around 9yrs. After having her hauled home and changing fluids & plugs she cranked but still wound start. After replacing the regulator, adjusting he carb & some general tinkering she fired up. After running for a few minutes I noticed a sound in the bottom end and shut her down. I was told the engine was a 421HO and knowing nothing about Pontiacs at the time I didn't know if that was a good thing or not. I spent the next couple days researching what I thought I had and listening to all the reasons why I needed to do an LS swap from the local guys. I finally decided to just rebuild what I thought and was told was the original engine. So I pulled the motor, tore it down and took it to the machine shop. I told the owner the story and what I thought I had and asked him if he could possibly double check for me before I started ordering parts. I got a call a few days later telling me that yes I had a 421ci motor and to start ordering parts, and I did 😀. A couple weeks go by and I get a call telling me that "we've ordered the wrong piston's". I was then told that the machinist made a mistake, he didn't measure the blocks bore he just ran the block number which came back as a 421. He continued to tell me that I had a 428 and the reason for the mistake was really not their fault, that Pontiac used left over 421 blocks to make the 428 and that's why they had a 421 part number. (Totally false). After talking to the place where I ordered the pistons they agreed to exchange them with a $50.00 restocking fee. The machine shop offered to ship them for me to save me an hour drive back to their shop. Then I get a call from the piston company telling me the pistons they got back were damaged and not in the original box. After getting pictures and looking at the video they sent me (they record the opening of all returns) it was obvious there was little packing between the pistons and they got beat all to hell. 2 weeks Later I dropped off my new pistons and rings. Almost 3 months later I pick up the engine and heads. Total time, just over 4 months on an engine that I dropped off to have cleaned up, bored 30, crank redone and parts cleaned and prepped for me to build. Anyways I've got the rebuild done and the motor back in the car and she sounds great.  

A.jpg

1aa.jpg

Aaaa.jpg

1aaaaaa.jpg

hay wrongway.. have you sorted that timing yet ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Hey bro, thanks for asking. I finally got to start her up for the first time in a few months. Nope, didn't figure it out yet and it still makes know sense. I took a couple of videos for y'all and unless y'all say not to I'm gonna take her for a drive. I'll post the videos in the other thread or post or whatever its actually called lol. Also, I seen your cool plate and didn't get a chance to send you a pic a mine, so here it is buddy. Had a buddy that worked at a local car dealership and it was hanging on there wall. I had him ask the owner if he'd sell it. Owner said no that it was the only plate that he had bought. The guy found out that I had a collection of primered and rusted out old cars. Small cars like collectable toys. So he asked if he could see them, in the collection was a 1968 VW beetle that he couldn't live without. So the trade was made. On a side note, since its getting warmer I've got those vent window frames to get in, the acrylic steering wheel rebuild and if I'm able to start driving her then I'll start the body work and get her ready for paint. I'll start reposting over here when the engine stuff is done.

IMG_1525.jpg

hay now thats a cool plate !!!!:cheers:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Don't think so Frosty , although they did call some friends and I murdered 8 of them in total over the next 3 hours! :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Don't think so Frosty , although they did call some friends and I murdered 8 of them in total over the next 3 hours! :lol:

So you blacked out their lil grills N rims N bumpers N trim??? 😎

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Don't think so Frosty , although they did call some friends and I murdered 8 of them in total over the next 3 hours! :lol:

BEWARE OF THE.....

image.png.6f40335f0c32700c4d47edcb13df3933.png

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Finally had a free day today. Decided to start on a bit of the body work. Figured id take care of the LITTLE bit of bubbling behind the drivers rear tire. Turns out that one of the previous owners decided to just bondo the crap out of the rust that was there rather the fix it, lol smh. So that's where today ended. I did check the other side also. Same thing, just not nearly as much rust thankfully.

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wrongway!!! i wish i lived closer! i have that whole 64 shell sitting under my trees and the rear quarters are mint!!

looks like your gona have to fabricate some patch panels my friend ! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

So am I correct looking at your pics kiwi, Does your hinge not bolt to the firewall?

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

So here's the conversation that Mr. Kiwi and I were having just to bring y'all up to speed.

So as you can see in the pic the back of my hood sits up. I've tried adjusting the hinges but it doesn't help. I thought maybe the hood was warped but it seems to lay flat when placed on the driveway. When I had the engine and trans out I had two buddies put the hood on with me sitting inside on the crossmember. No hinges, just hood sitting in the "channel". It still sat up in the rear. You can see the gaps and there is plenty of room in the gap by the windshield. The side gaps are off right now but not actually touching the hood. So I'm wondering if I replace the hinges would it "pull" it down and level out the rear of the hood?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

So am I correct looking at your pics kiwi, Does your hinge not bolt to the firewall?

no mine doesn't mate! you got to show me a picture, i am sure your 63 will be the same as mine, the hinge is attached to the fender 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.