Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1963 Grand Prix

Yeah I've got a few spots that will need attention for sure. So I found that they had post's going thru here and had to remove the sail panels to remove that piece of chrome. Your thinking there was a post on the front windshield chrome also? I also confirmed that the red paint was not the original color of the car. You can see the white paint in spots where the chrome came off. I figured the safest thing to do is justa take it down to bare metal at this point. Even bought a new tool for the job. The Contour SCT from Eastwood. THEY say that I can strip this entire car (or a car this size), up to 6 coats of paint, body filler, surface rest and condition the metal for primer in 6-8 hour. I say B.S but I'll give it try :rofl: But the tool is better then sanding or chemical striping. I've done both and they both suck so we'll see.

IMG_2767_LI.jpg

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The only plate I've seen so far is the vin plate in the door. Where's the build plate located? Yeah Fitzy, I do bud. The firewall was old dirty whitish color when I got her. When I had the engine out I justa rattle canned it black until I could decide what I was doing with her. Now I've found a bit of white under chrome and when I pulled the outer fender the other day I found this panel was painted white and it looks original to me. But she's 59 years old, who knows how many times she's had her hair dyed :rofl:

Pic 3_LI.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So no progress on the windshield chrome. I watched 5 or 6 YouTube videos, but they were all of 63-64 Chevy's. I looked them up in my 63 manual and the clips are different. These clips look like they are built into the chrome. By that I mean there is no step up or down as there should be when 2 pieces come in contact with each other. So I worked on and wiggled the chrome and the clip for a few hours and decided to call it quits when I caught myself reaching for the pry bar to rip it off. It almost looks like that metal piece goes under the windshield seal. So I'm thinking that when I pull the windshield I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope I can pry the chrome off at the same time.

IMG_2777_LI.jpg

IMG_2780 (2)_LI.jpg

• Confused 1

wrong way, dont trust anything you see on you tube!!!!

here is a great example of what NOT to do.... this guy did not bother to look in side the c pillar and see the acorn nuts holding the belt line trim on!!! he justA went to the chrome with trim tools and pulled it off!!! 

on your 63 like my 64 there is 2 acorn nuts inside the c pillar and one accessed from the trunk that hold the belt line trim on....

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

I wonder if a supplier of classic auto glass can help you? I can't even begin to imagine how chrome trim is attached to one of those big perimeter rubber seals that you appear to have.

• Like 1

i think your front screen trim is pressed into the rubber window seal and it comes out with the screen.

try working your screen out from the inside and you will soon see if thats the case.

our 63-64 are all chev above the belt line and the trim clips are the same!!! 

i would expect the lower chrome on the screen to be held by clips and you will see them when you remove the cowl panel.:cheers:

1 minute ago, Fitzy said:

I wonder if a supplier of classic auto glass can help you? I can't even begin to imagine how chrome trim is attached to one of those big perimeter rubber seals that you appear to have.

i think the sides and top chrome are dove tailed and fit into the rubber seal 

• Like 1

matter of fact wrong way, i will go check the parts car in the morning and see if there is any clip mounting points on the front screen ( that car has the screen out, back one is still intacted)

that will prove my theory .... its 10 to 9 pm here so its black as outside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I was able to remove the bottom. It was held on by screws. I found clips like the ones in your bottom pic Kiwi, there on the inside of inside of the car under the seal. Yours look like there is a screw? Mine didn't have a screw. I did play with that clip to, but when I pried on it the chrome on the outside didn't move. Any idea how that unclips?

3D6F7892-075D-4B1C-8458-A15802AB862B.thumb.jpeg.ca22a8339a417af08588a8eb0bade9c5_LI.jpg

1 hour ago, Wrongway said:

Yeah I was able to remove the bottom. It was held on by screws. I found clips like the ones in your bottom pic Kiwi, there on the inside of inside of the car under the seal. Yours look like there is a screw? Mine didn't have a screw. I did play with that clip to, but when I pried on it the chrome on the outside didn't move. Any idea how that unclips?

3D6F7892-075D-4B1C-8458-A15802AB862B.thumb.jpeg.ca22a8339a417af08588a8eb0bade9c5_LI.jpg

its got to pop out of the clips mate, unless some one has glued the trim on in a past life

use a wide plastic trim lever and justA go slow is what i would do...... run a knife under there too justA in case it is glued down too

you will know really quickly if the trim moves or not !...

and hay if you stuff it i have all that trim here i can send you!!! so no stress mate :cheers:

• Thanks 1

yeah well here on the other side of the planet, its pissing down!! 

we had a month with no rain and i the last 3 days we have had a whole months worth of rain! 

really great for all my ground works!!! everything's justA mess !

i will go out and take some pictures and stick it on my " what we do when we are not working on out Pontiac's thread  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well both rear quarters got stripped today and the front fender's got it yesterday. I forgot to get pics of the front fender's but I will get them for you tomorrow. Going have to be some metal work done but damn she looks sexy!

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

• Like 2

Back to bare metal, eh? Lookin' good. I wish I had that sort of commitment but will be happy to simply overcoat mine - after appropriate prep, of course.

• Like 2

Yeah I wish I could've justa resprayed her. But after seeing the rust in the quarter panel I had to see how bad it was. 

• Like 1

Me to bro, but I bought a new tool to help out and I love it! Its from Eastwood and its called a Contour SCT. Here's a short video my son shot for me to send to another friend. I did a time test and it took 10min with the SCT to do what I spent 1 hour doing with the air sander. It strips the paint, body filler, primer AND conditions the metal so its ready for your epoxy or self etching primer. Real time saver. Your welcome to come by and borrow it Kiwi :rofl:

• Like 2