Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1963 Grand Prix

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 3 months later...

Thanks, I hated sanding the roses off but I justa wasn't happy with them. Spent 3 damn days paint them and 15min removing them. You can't tell in the pic but they actually chrome metal flake with candy apple red, jalapeno green and root beer candy shot over it to make up the roses, leaves and stems. It's also hard to tell but the roof is chrome flake. It's not done yet, but it is flaked and sanded.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Thanks, I hated sanding the roses off but I justa wasn't happy with them. Spent 3 damn days paint them and 15min removing them. You can't tell in the pic but they actually chrome metal flake with candy apple red, jalapeno green and root beer candy shot over it to make up the roses, leaves and stems. It's also hard to tell but the roof is chrome flake. It's not done yet, but it is flaked and sanded.

Mate !!! Your soo cleaver !!

and the 63 is your canvas !!

of course you can sad it off !

that part of the fun ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

That's awesome bro!  You can see your roses on the roof and the pewter in your door.  Much to be proud of there. Will be watching for the next update! :driving:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow - some serious work has gone into that. I also can't wait to see her when she's complete and cleaned up. Nice work. 

If I go to NZ and help Kiwi with his 389, will you come to Oz and paint my car?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Wow - some serious work has gone into that. I also can't wait to see her when she's complete and cleaned up. Nice work. 

If I go to NZ and help Kiwi with his 389, will you come to Oz and paint my car?

Hay !

wrongway should hang with us and paint mine tooooooo:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I've managed to get you a ticket...by ship...in a container...I will provide a hammock & a bucket. If you survive the trip (unlikely) I'll pick you up from the bus station in Cairns. Come on, how could you refuse such a generous offer?

Caution Wrongway, Ya saw what happened to Robin Roberts car in one of those shipping crates.

• Haha 2

Does anybody have any idea what this black stuff might be? My first thought was maybe adhesive from something like a reflective strip. It's not tacky, goof off and goo gone do not affect it. I tried a couple old paint removers with no luck. Thought had crossed my mind that maybe it was part of the metal "treatment" back then before it was chromed. But I have no idea, the metal where the chrome is peeling off doesn't look that way. 

IMG_5692.jpg

IMG_5693.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg

• Confused 1

To add another layer of confusion, I have it outside throwing some more stuff at it. When I looked really closely it looks kind of like the black stuff ate through the chrome. You can see where the jagged lines are and its coarse and when rubbing your finger from the chrome it steps down. How weird!IMG_5699.thumb.jpg.bce4b722dcfce9edce4964c0bd8483d5.jpg

• Like 2

It looks a bit like that black stuff they spray under your car during rust proofing. I can't imagine it being corrosive though. Even thinners won't remove it?

• Like 2

Kind of looks like that bro. Nope and I tried a new thinner today and 0000 steel wool. No luck. The last picture is after the new stripper and steel wool. Guess I'll have to find another, for now it'll have to ride like it is. 

Edited by Wrongway
  • Like 2

If you were to wirebrush it, it would go to bare metal - correct? That's a mystery.

Of course, you could always sell your soul to the Devil and get the thing rechromed, but you'd be in debt until beyond eternity. You COULD do what I did and get it powdercoated but there's no point dancing around it - it'll be nice & shiny but only chrome shines like chrome.

• Haha 2

Yes that’s way too rich for my blood! :lol: I do like the way yours turned out but that’s still out of reach for now. I thought about trying to strip it to metal justa to see what happens. But then I’m stuck painting it black until I can find one or powder coating it. I hate putting it on there looking like that but that may be the only option for now. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Yes that’s way too rich for my blood! :lol: I do like the way yours turned out but that’s still out of reach for now. I thought about trying to strip it to metal justa to see what happens. But then I’m stuck painting it black until I can find one or powder coating it. I hate putting it on there looking like that but that may be the only option for now. 

That’s justA what I have done wrongway … why 

because rechroming is the real only alternative .. so I am happy with my rusty one … 

I did do a little cheat. And clean it up and rub some silver paint into the blemishes 

justA to make it tidy :cheers:

• Like 2