Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1963 Grand Prix

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I only just saw all this - amazing work. Those bloody steering wheels...as you know after weeks of mucking about with mine I gave up and got a Grant. Bolted straight on - done.

Can you jump on a plane and paint my GP? I read all the words you use but have no idea what any of it means. I briefly entertained the idea of painting my car myself, but then came to my senses and slapped myself about the face until I was dizzy. Painting should be done by professionals.

So...you comin' over?

• Haha 2

Got the bearings and seals today. Had the old bearings pressed off and new ones pressed on. I did get the grease seals installed in the axel housing also. Plan on getting the axels installed tomorrow along with the new calipers and disks. I'm guessing there is no way of flushing out the rearend or is there a need to? 

4 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Got the bearings and seals today. Had the old bearings pressed off and new ones pressed on. I did get the grease seals installed in the axel housing also. Plan on getting the axels installed tomorrow along with the new calipers and disks. I'm guessing there is no way of flushing out the rearend or is there a need to? 

if your doing axle bearings mate, i would certainy change the diff oil :cheers:

drop the drive shaft and pop the head out, give everything a good clean, and inspect it, stick it back together with fresh oil... one happy happy joy joy diff

image.png.90fc0f486e3a022bf0395e97d970dd6e.png

opps sorry that a picture of me and Fitzy !

you can tell which ones fitzy,, he has no pants on :rofl:...or is it fitzy and wrongway ???? i really cant tell !:rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

Anybody have a suggestion on rearend gear oil? The manual say's 5 3/4 pints of multi-purpose hypoid gear lube but doesn't mention a weight. I was thinking 75W90 but not sure. 

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

image.png.90fc0f486e3a022bf0395e97d970dd6e.png

opps sorry that a picture of me and Fitzy !

you can tell which ones fitzy,, he has no pants on :rofl:...or is it fitzy and wrongway ???? i really cant tell !:rofl:

You can tell which one is Kiwi - the red eyed one who looks stoned. The dummy with his tongue hanging out, yep, looks just like me except Kiwi is about a foot taller than me.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

You can tell which one is Kiwi - the red eyed one who looks stoned. The dummy with his tongue hanging out, yep, looks just like me except Kiwi is about a foot taller than me.

True and your nose is blue :rofl:

2 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Anybody have a suggestion on rearend gear oil? The manual say's 5 3/4 pints of multi-purpose hypoid gear lube but doesn't mention a weight. I was thinking 75W90 but not sure. 

Yip 90 weight mate … here it’s called hypo90 

but that only for a non limited slip unit .. bet yours is standard like mine .. I justA used 90 🍻

2 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

True and your nose is blue :rofl:

Yip 90 weight mate … here it’s called hypo90 

but that only for a non limited slip unit .. bet yours is standard like mine .. I justA used 90 🍻

This is where last Indians experance  comes in :dancingpontiac:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Yup, I only leave 1 black mark :lol:

6 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

This is where last Indians experance  comes in :dancingpontiac:

Yes it would

• Like 1

Well, I got the rear disk's installed yesterday, raining again today so no fronts yet. I do love the way they look!

IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

• Like 2

wow!!! that looks sooo clean mate:cheers: what brand are you using ? and are you changing the master cylinder too ?

hay!, do i see a 2 inch spacer under your spring ? are you using factory springs ?? 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Thank you, and yes sir, new master and booster. I've already got new lines ran from when I redid the drum brake system. Most of the parts are Car Quest brand from the local parts store. I found a list a while back of compatible parts to use for a conversion and started ordering them and setting them a side over the winter.

Yes, that is a spacer bro, 3" if I remember correctly and yes factory springs for now. I put that in back before I found you guys and was trying to figure things out on my own. I want a nice "hotrod" stance. I couldn't find info on the size spring I would need for the stance I wanted so I bought 2",3" and 4" blocks to try and see what I liked. I loved the way the car rode, so I didn't want to change the feel. Only drove it less then 20mi and the trans went out so that got pulled and rebuilt. After the brakes and paint is done hoping to actually be able to start putting miles on her. It's funny, I've had her about 5yrs and only put about 20mi on her. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wrongway … I see you have used the auto city brackets … and even the discs look like theirs… what calipers have you used .. that eBay deal is really good 

but I am wondering if I can do it cheaper …

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The calipers are from a 1985 Cadillac El Dorado my parts guy ordered me. I believe they were CarQuest premium. The brake lines and most of the hardware are also whatever brand Advanced Auto stocks. The brackets and axel adaptor came from Toms Classics in white boxes with no writing so I'm not sure of the brand on those. The rotors were sourced from eBay since Advanced Auto didn't stock drilled and slotted for anything on my list. Normally they would 3rd party the parts from someplace like Summit, but eBay was cheaper. According to the list I have it says we can source parts from:

1978-1983 Chevelle, Monte Carlo, El Camino, Malibu, Tempest, Cutlass, F-85, Pontiac Grand Prix, Le Mans, GTO, Grand Am or Bonneville.

1979-1985 El Dorado, Riviera and Toronado

1980-1985 Seville with emergency brake on the caliper.

My parts guy is a personal friend of mine so it's not abnormal for us to hang out and have a drink. I give him a list of parts, he orders what he can, and we find the rest of the parts thru other vendors like Summit, Jeg's, Speedway Motors and even eBay.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

I don't know anything about a website bro. We chatted a couple times thru Ebay and exchanged phone numbers to simplify things. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes sir, I finished it up yesterday. Had a bit of a problem with the brake line going from the front bowl of the master cylinder to the distribution block. For some reason that flare justa kept leaking. I must have recut it 12 times, remade the line 3 different times then decided to change the fitting. It still leaked, recut it once more and it finally took. No problems or leaks from any of the other flares that had to be cut. Even got the brakes bled. I couldn't take it for a test drive yet since she's torn apart getting ready for paint. So today I sanded down the primer I put on right before winter. I have a little more body work to finish up before I can paint her. I'm hoping to have her in color by the end of next month. The wife's family will be here Sunday and they'll be here for a month so we'll see if I can get it done by then.

• Like 2

I find when I use a tube cutter on the steel tube it leaves a burr

so once I use the cutter 

I stick the end of the tube in the flaring clamp and lightly file the end square 

it helps when I do the first part of the flare 

• Like 2

Agree on removing the burr with the file. I like to go one step further and run the corner of the file on the INSIDE of the tube, Justa remove anything that might be left.  Congrat's on all you have accomplished so far!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1