Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1957 Chieftain restomod Build

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

That controls the hamster in the wheel. In the absence of electronics and turbos, Pontiac fitted an auxiliary 'Power Hamster' next to the engine to provide an additional burst of acceleration when required. The hamster's output was governed by that wheel. Your hamster is long gone, but Ames sells new larger ones that are full of hormones. Ol' Chieffy is gonna fly.

What do you mean I've had too much coffee???

Haha love it fitzy !!! Hamster aye !!! :rofl:

Thanks to Russel we have the answer as to what it is !!!:cheers:

very cool option for 1957 ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Super cool option Kiwi!

It would be if the speakers in the back where still there! :rofl:... but for 1957 bet mr Chevrolet did not have that option!

Russel must have hunted for hours to find that information!!! that is soo cool :cheers: to Russel :dancingpontiac:

• Like 2

Russel, can you show me a better picture of your radio ?

image.png.603299768e274f35e2d4679f1bcabf87.png

i see your car has the chrome glove box/ ash tray area too ! i have seen some that are justA painted ! not sure why ...option wise yours should be top shelf ? mine not so ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, I found this '57 Chieftain for sale on ebay, and note that it also has the stainless trim on the dash, same as yours. The brochure in my post above shows it without, so perhaps it was an option when the model was built. Who knows 65 years later?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403798764187?hash=item5e04482a9b:g:OMEAAOSwTYBi4DXL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiwiStarChief said:

Hi Chris, I found this '57 Chieftain for sale on ebay, and note that it also has the stainless trim on the dash, same as yours. The brochure in my post above shows it without, so perhaps it was an option when the model was built. Who knows 65 years later?

oh good spotting Russel!! i thought it must have been a option along with that speaker dial.... but what about the rear fender trim!!!

my chieftain has chrome bullets behind the 3 stars ????? justA like your star chef ??

image.jpg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KiwiStarChief said:

oh and Russel, thats pretty good money for a car running a stock motor, trans and suspension !even though he has bagged it and up graded the brakes !

66 k when there is a guy on tm, wanting nearly 90k for a 2 door post ! nz dollars that is !

i know which one i would have !!! :rofl:

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

JustA received a email !!!

The  next part of the jigsaw puzzle has just landed in nz from usa  !! :dancingpontiac:

Now i have to wait for nz customs to check, clean clear it !!! same dramma as last time !

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

JustA received a email !!!

The  next part of the jigsaw puzzle has just landed in nz from usa  !! :dancingpontiac:

Now i have to wait for nz customs to check, clean clear it !!! same dramma as last time !

:pop_corn:

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

here is my engine number, does some one have the decoding for it ?68EBA885-3272-4A7C-836C-A19EC7C1AAD2.jpeg

509395 should be the casting code but I can't validate it in the list of valid Pontiac blocks. It may also be the last digits of the VIN for the car it was installed in.

15H indicates that this is a 1963 389 267 HP engine installed a full size Pontiac with an automatic transmission and 2-barrel carb.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

509395 should be the casting code but I can't validate it in the list of valid Pontiac blocks. It may also be the last digits of the VIN for the car it was installed in.

15H indicates that this is a 1963 389 267 HP engine installed a full size Pontiac with an automatic transmission and 2-barrel carb.

There are numbers also by the distributor hold down bolt on the intake.  Forget what they are for.  May not be correct as the intake could have been replaced at some point.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Agreed Butler for your internals.  What kind of blower?   Underhood pro charger?  Supercharger?  Or loud N proud N throught the hood?  How do you plan to use it?  Racing?  Street?  Cruiser?  So many things to take into consideration,  1)  My blower is illegal to drive on the streets.  It IS a huge problem to see around the blower on slight right hand curves in the road.  For you would be left curves, seeing anything pulling out or even the road divider lines, to stay in your lane.  It is a ticket anytime, period.  Obstruction of view.  From what you've said your PO PO are much stricter than here.  What are your laws?  Everytime I've been pulled over (too many to count) I've been on my way to or from a show. Or the Dream Cruise where pretty much anything goes.  All have said that I wasn't acting stupid or they would write me up.   The other form of driveability is engine performance.  I built the V6 to beat the Grand National.  Set on OH SHIT it's a blast but thats for a dragstrip.  Very hard on parts, heat is a huge issue.  Idling in traffic will cost you big time.  Think it through, it's always what YOU want to do/achieve.  

my plan is strickly for street, and no holes in the hood and not one of those bolt on look chargers ! i am thinking more like a 

whipple. https://whipplesuperchargers.com/

tucked down low in the valley :dancingpontiac:

• Like 1