Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Black Beauty

hmmm, i can see why it rusted, my though would be to make a gasket to go between the 2 surfaces to act as a seal ( out of a material like butynol sheet)

kind of like you would under a mirror on a fender, that way you can always remove it again, sealer will ceratinly work but it makes it really hard to ever remove again

And maybe consider using stainless steel fixings :cheers:

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

6 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

hmmm, i can see why it rusted, my though would be to make a gasket to go between the 2 surfaces to act as a seal ( out of a material like butynol sheet)

kind of like you would under a mirror on a fender, that way you can always remove it again, sealer will certainly work but it makes it really hard to ever remove again

And maybe consider using stainless steel fixings :cheers:

Silicone caulk or adheasive will literally rub right back off with your finger.  Would NOT have put that on my urethane topcoat if it would have etched it's way into the paint.  I've bumped/pulled on the spoiler end a couple times over the years with polishing cloth/towel and separated the end from the decklid. I simply run a piece of tape down both sides of the spoiler end. (on decklid) Bend it over as far as possible, rub off old (it's like rubber cement), run a new bead N let the end fall back in place naturally.  Pull tape N let dry.  I would Justa run 1/2in of silicone around the edge of the contact patch of the spoiler.  BUT>>>Nothing you can do if it splits N leaks again, where yours did Frosty.  KIWI you are correct,  it's a lil more work when taking the part off N cleaning to re assemble.  But it's not like 3M two sided tape.  That stuff is brutal. :stars: 

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Last Indian said:

I would say this! You do need something that seals very well! I have installed a lot of spoilers over the years, both Camaros more than once, the Grand Prixs & the Lacrosses just to name a few. On the Camaros I used butyl rubber on top at the bolt hole & bolt, plus underneath at the bolt hole & around the nut. The Grand Prixs use a 3m double sided butyl sheet the shape of the pedestals & JustA is right! This stuff is a real headache to remove, but it’s really really almost impossible to get the damn spoiler off! I had to very carefully cut in between the spoiler & the deck lid to get it lose! All without harming the surface of either the spoiler or deck lid! But it really seals out the water, once the spoiler was of & everything was cleaned up it looked just like the day it was built! No rust, no dirt no nothing! Top or bottom! Silicone I never used so I can’t say. My two cents!

Your sounding like a plumber Last Indian :cheers:

we love silicon !!! hahaha

having said that,, frosty you can use neopreme too ! 

i justa like the fact your not bolting down something that can move around and dig into your paint, where as the gasket stops that :dancingpontiac:

• Like 2

Neoprene is an interesting idea gents. I definitely want some sort of water resistant gasket between the new fiberglass spoiler and the painted trunked lid.

The problem with the stock spoiler is that it had some pre-punched holes in the gaskets, two for the bolt holes and two others on each side. Water got to the metal frame work of the spoiler through the vinyl rubber splitting and it rusted the frame work. It also allowed the water to seek the lowest point. So rusty water sat on top of the passenger side of the deck lid and eventually ate through the paint and metal. Any future gasket will will only have holes for the two bolt holes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Neoprene is an interesting idea gents. I definitely want some sort of water resistant gasket between the new fiberglass spoiler and the painted trunked lid.

The problem with the stock spoiler is that it had some pre-punched holes in the gaskets, two for the bolt holes and two others on each side. Water got to the metal frame work of the spoiler through the vinyl rubber splitting and it rusted the frame work. It also allowed the water to seek the lowest point. So rusty water sat on top of the passenger side of the deck lid and eventually ate through the paint and metal. Any future gasket will will only have holes for the two bolt holes.

easy fix frosty......... dont drive in the rain :rofl:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

Why do think this car has lasted this long in the first place? In Michigan? Where we salt the roads in the winter and help promote rust in your car! 

We love rust so much we also chloride our dirt roads which is 5 times as corrosive as salt, BUT..... it helps keep the dust down.  Spray down the underside of your car while driving on this stuff filling all the nicks N crannys, to then sit on and corrode your frame and underside.  Many people roll their eyes when I say I don't take my hotrods out when it's raining or the roads are mudd.  It'sa lotta work to clean em back up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Frosty said:

I went swap meet shopping again yesterday up to Saginaw. This was held at a local GM dealership. It's been snowing all bloody weekend with over a half of foot of snow, so both vendors and show attendance was way down. All I bought was some more oil filters for Lucy and Black Beauty. However, we did stop at Tony's again for brunch on the way home.

Oh and for Fity and Kiwi I did find this at the swap meet but I didn't purchase it since I figure you boys preferred the genuine thing when you come over.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/01af4a6a6e5f56bc950c4b24cb7bc8e58c748ef54b4a5e1c2afbd74fb63403ff/1280/https://foreverpontiac.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/IMG_7808.thumb.JPG.10db3680e91dc3c949e4ec9a0d17db96.JPG

...and here's another massive brunch at Tony's - A western omelet (ham, cheese, onions, and green pepper) with a side of hash browns.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/01af4a6a6e5f56bc950c4b24cb7bc8e58c748ef54b4a5e1c2afbd74fb63403ff/1280/https://foreverpontiac.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/IMG_7809.thumb.JPG.d6bb4c72b8f88736481975beaa00f058.JPG

....and this is still NOT their infamous 9-egg omelet!

Yum !!! :cheers:

And your brunch looks good too :rofl:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1