Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The first picture is the ground strap to engine. The second is the ground strap to body. Can a ground strap actually go bad? Could they be to small? They measure 10" long but only 1/4" wide?

ground strap to engine.jpg

ground strap to body.jpg

6 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Mmmm that looks good. Screw those hot temps though :lol: 

i recon!! its like living in :rofl: 

5 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

you can certainly bring the keg two lane! it was my first day back at work and i am over it already ! HAHA

tell me about whats in the jars ????

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

31 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

The first picture is the ground strap to engine. The second is the ground strap to body. Can a ground strap actually go bad? Could they be to small? They measure 10" long but only 1/4" wide?

ground strap to engine.jpg

ground strap to body.jpg

they sure can, looking at those measurements its quiet bad, they both should be well below zero , after all its just a bit of wire the power should be able to get from one end to the other with next to no resistance.

one trick you could try Wrongway is to clean up the crimps and solder the crimp only, or justA buy some new ones 

my 64 has the same earths, what i am going to fit is a earth strap the same size as the positive lead is that runs to the starter from battery straight to the block. and then a 6mm strap from motor to body but using new stuff. 👍

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

This is what i will use its about 3/8 and i will solder flat eyelets on both ends, i dont trust crimps:) and this is pretty much justA for the current draw that the starter pulls👍

B55F639A-9175-407F-A9AC-B5849ACB8308.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

So my ground from the battery to the engine is 2AWG. The same size as from the battery to starter. Would that be good for the grounds also or is that to big? I don't care about ordering new straps and soldering on the ends. I just want whichever will be better. Is it possible for the ground strap to be to big?

Battery ground cable.jpg

Edited by Wrongway

4 hours ago, Wrongway said:

So my ground from the battery to the engine is 2AWG. The same size as from the battery to starter. Would that be good for the grounds also or is that to big? I don't care about ordering new straps and soldering on the ends. I just want whichever will be better. Is it possible for the ground strap to be to big?

Battery ground cable.jpg

I don’t see any harm in it being that size mate .... have you ohms tested that cable from the battery to the engine ?

• Like 1

Ok great guy's thanks. So I'll order some ends for this cable and use it for new grounds. No Kiwi I didn't pull the negative from the battery to block yet. I will bro. I kind of got distracted teaching my son how to use the bench grinder and watching how safe he was.

• Haha 1

Ok great guy's thanks. So I'll order some ends for this cable and use it for new grounds. No Kiwi I didn't pull the negative from the battery to block yet. I will bro. I kind of got distracted teaching my son how to use the bench grinder and watching how safe he was.

good on ya mate :cheers:

good on ya mate :cheers:

two lane, you have me fascinated about whats in the jars... you JustA have to tell me about them  🙄:cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Ohhhhhhhh I know! lol. I just finished off the last of a jar of watermelon. Still got a bit of plain ol fashion corn flavor chillin in the freezer! I'll let Two Lane explain Kiwi, but if you ever come to Ky, I got ya ol buddy! :cheers: 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

At least 100 Proof...

I generally don't drink alot..But when I do... Straight is the only way to drink it...It is definitely not for the faint of heart..!!

Gees I bet it is 🍻👍👍👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

If you ever make to North Carolina..We will crack open a jar...🍻

oh watch out Two lane i may very well take you up on that offer :cheers:

The boss already likes my idea to road trip it from Chicago to Pontiac  :cheers:  

............When everything gets back to normal that is🙄...2024 !!! ish maybe and we are aloud to fly again🙄

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hell yeah, warm weather again!!! :rofl: So today was the first time I've started the GP since January. She started right up, back fired a couple of times and died. Out of gas. Put 5 gallons in her tank and fired right up, no back fires. Hooked up the timing light and still wont read the timing. The confusing thing is that before we change the advance spring it did read the timing. I wouldn't think that could affect it but I don't know. Maybe one of yall know. Anyways, she runs better the ever with these springs. So here's the videos of her from today. Should I drive her or do I need to figure out this timing light thing? I did replace the ground straps with new ones I made from 2ga and scraped the Por-15 off the control arm to make sure it had good connection, I cant get to the body strap where it bolts to the block but I'll clean it off when I pull the motor for paint. Is the vacuum ok at 12? Does look and sound ok? What do y'all think?

• Like 1

I may sound ignorant Two Lane but I did not know that the distributor hold down grounded the distributor. I'll check it tomorrow bro, thanks. 

16 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

I may sound ignorant Two Lane but I did not know that the distributor hold down grounded the distributor. I'll check it tomorrow bro, thanks. 

do our little test mate... ohms test between the housing of the dissy and the block.that will ensure you have a good ground 

like we talked about with the earth straps, you want something like 0.1-0.3 ohms of resistance with your multi-tester

• Like 1