Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

So the hold down was tight guys. I didn't check the resistance between the hold down and the distributor shaft. Its a really tight fit but it was between 00.4 and 00.6 depending on how and where the probes touch. I rechecked the ground strap that I just scraped the paint off of and it was 00.1- 00.3. I tried the one on the back of the motor the I couldn't get off to clean and couldn't get the probe on the block. There's just not enough room.

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

On 4/7/2021 at 5:55 PM, Wrongway said:

I may sound ignorant Two Lane but I did not know that the distributor hold down grounded the distributor. I'll check it tomorrow bro, thanks. 

all sound good to me mate 👍

• Like 1

Wrongway, have you been over to gtoforum.com?  I think folks over there tend to be pretty helpful also.

Bear

• Like 1

No Bear, I haven't bro. Most of the trash I found was while helping a friend try to get his Chevy running. I had pretty much given up on forums until I came across this one. I may go peak in the windows over there and see what's going on since you suggested them.

I did move the GP yesterday! I didn't take her down the road due the the pouring down rain but I did back her down the drive and pull her back up a couple of hours later. Fired up the first shot both times!

• Like 2

Fitzy, very interesting read. I read it, thought about it and just reread it. I'll switch ports and see what happens but if I have to make any changes then I'll have to wait until I figure out why a timing light wont work. Thanks for the article and I'll let you know what happens. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Fitzy, very interesting read. I read it, thought about it and just reread it. I'll switch ports and see what happens but if I have to make any changes then I'll have to wait until I figure out why a timing light wont work. Thanks for the article and I'll let you know what happens. 

They are talking about early smog attempts at lowering emissions.  Mid 70's N up, and guessing stock carbs.  If your ports are in the baseplate I take it your OK.  Doesn't sound like anything aftermarket would do.  Holley ect. 

• Like 2

Hey Wrongway, this is off topic but I wanted to ask you about your Torq Thrust fitment. Did you use hub rings to get a snug fit? It looks like my new wheels will have a hub bore diameter of about 83mm but the GP has about a 70mm diameter. Is yours the same?

• Like 2

Yeah, thanks. I had a think about it last night and it seems natural that the hub should fit within the wheel's centre bore neatly, but of course that has never applied to the rears, where there is no protruding hub. Does anyone know about this? Perhaps a neatly secured front wheel steers better or has some positive effect on the geometry, or I've had too much coffee and am overthinking it. And, come to think of it, my old VW Beetle had those factory pressed rims with widely spaced lug holes and no question of any centre bore fitment.

On 4/13/2021 at 2:36 AM, Wrongway said:

We need to thank Kiwi for the article - I just pushed the barrow a bit harder!

And I've hijacked your thread. Apologies.

• Haha 1

Well bro, as soon as I get this guys paint finished and bike gone I'm going to change out the vent window frames so I can hang the new door panels. Then I think I'm ready to start the body work and hopefully get her in paint by the end of the summer, as long as there's no issues when I do start driving her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrongway said:

Well bro, as soon as I get this guys paint finished and bike gone I'm going to change out the vent window frames so I can hang the new door panels. Then I think I'm ready to start the body work and hopefully get her in paint by the end of the summer, as long as there's no issues when I do start driving her.

way cool mate, sound like you have a plan, what colour ?

• Like 1

Originally it was a paint called Magnetic, Its basically dark charcoal that I added more black to darken it up. Its got ground up course and medium aluminum chunks with finely ground silver dollars. Its an amazing color bro. I cant wait to send y'all pictures when its done! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Originally it was a paint called Magnetic, Its basically dark charcoal that I added more black to darken it up. Its got ground up course and medium aluminum chunks with finely ground silver dollars. Its an amazing color bro. I cant wait to send y'all pictures when its done! 

now thats a way cool trick paint job :cheers:

Are you painting it your self ?

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Yeah bro I am. I've also got an idea about putting a rose in metal flake behind the doors on bottom justa head of the rear tire. Since they don't make a stencil and it would have to be air brushed and I'm not much of a hand at air brushing I don't know if that'll make it on her. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Yeah bro I am. I've also got an idea about putting a rose in metal flake behind the doors on bottom justa head of the rear tire. Since they don't make a stencil and it would have to be air brushed and I'm not much of a hand at air brushing I don't know if that'll make it on her. 

Wrong way, I'm olde and senile, but occasionally a couple synapses will sputter...

Are you a paint and body guy, have some skill there?

Bear

• Like 1

Cool! I may need some guidance! I'm in the process of refinishing my hood. I've got it painted and cleared, color sanding right now.  I did sort of a test 'cut and buff' on part of it a few days ago and was surprised to see some small scratches show up that didn't show at all until the gloss started coming up. It's  PPG DBC9700 black with Southern Polyurethanes Universal Clear.  

I can keep sanding/buffing/sanding/buffing until I get it right, but I'm hoping there's a way to tell when it's really ready to cut without having to do all that trial and error. 

Bear

• Like 1

Anything I can do to help I'm happy to bro. DBC is good stuff bro. Its put out by PPG. That's normally all I use. I'm a big fan of their 2000 paint system. As far you scratches go, what was the final grit you did on your color sanding? You did wet sand not dry sand?

• Like 1

Yes, I did everything wet. After the clear I used 1000 Trizact to get rid of any peel, then 1500, 3000, and 5000 foam pads wet. All done with a Dynabrade 6" 3/32 stroke random orbital palm sander.  It all looked flat after sanding and I couldn't see any scratches, but when the gloss came up buffing, there they were. 

I'm hoping that there's some way to see them without having to buff?

Edited by BearGFR
  • Like 2