Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Ok, so without seeing it bro, first thing, after laying color I never use a machine again until I polish. I know a lot of guys that do though. I wet sand everything by hand. I've seen where a tiny piece of say 800 grit sand can get caught up in the sander and come loose while sanding 2000grit later and leave scratch's and always use blocks never sand by hand. You said that you used 1500, 3000 and 5000 grit pads. What kind of compound where you are you using? 

The reason I ask about the compound Bear is that about 4yrs ago I did a custom tri-coat (base coat, pearl in mid-coat, clear) paint job on a Mustang. I wet sanded to 3000grit. I had buddy that was supposed to be a great cut n polish guy. I had seen his work on factory paint jobs and they looked good. So I let him do the mustang. It looked horrible after! I was so pissed that he trashed the Mustang. Even my wife got pissed when she walked out the next morning. When I finally calmed down the following week and sat down with him he couldn't explain what happened. I finally asked to see what he used. All 3 of the products were name brand reputable company's. But the cutting compound was 1200grit. So although I did my part and the paint looked great the scratches popped up in the clear after the cut and polish. Might be something to check bro, that would be an easy fix.

Edited by Wrongway
  • Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You know, that might be it. I did notice that the scratches I see do seem to have a pattern, not like a pigtail, but sort of similar/repeating if that makes sense?

• Like 1

Does it work ok to use the foam pads I already have wrapped around a small block? Or do I need to get paper sheets? 

Thanks,

Bear

• Like 1

That's really your call bud. I do prefer the sheets and rolls. The sheets I can cut to work with all of my blocks. It'll give me 2 for the long blocks, 4 for the shorts and 8 for my minis. But If you do use the sheets make sure you "pre load" them. Its not a necessity but it does reduce the risk of scratches, holds water better and you get better "glide". All pre loading means is that after cutting them to the size you need you toss them into a bucket of water or soapy water whatever your using until they roll up. That's how you know their ready.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

Well alrighty then.  I had a little time so I just did a test.  I've got one of these that I forgot about..

Meguiars Hand Pad

I marked off about a square foot with some green tape, then worked that area by hand with a 1000 trizact disc, a 3000 trizact foam disc, and a 5000 trizact foam disc.  Then I buffed it out with Meguiars 150 and a red foam pad on my Makita rotary.   Much better!

Thanks for the tips.

Bear

• Like 2