Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

Lucy got some love this weekend. She got a new set of spark plugs. Some NOS AC Spark Plugs (Flint made of course) R44TS, gapped to .035.

567814850_IMG_42631.thumb.JPG.40ecea2293901687302ca0f0493c3b7a.JPG

Sorry this is upside down - I feel like I'm Indyman Joe now! LOL! Sorry Joe!

400637610_IMG_42641.thumb.JPG.20e654ef84cfe2d576e8452116df9ff8.JPG

I think it's time for new plugs after almost a decade! Sorry about the bad focus!

881502621_IMG_42661.thumb.JPG.c0c5afb26dda025f3ff7a8fc448d7271.JPG

I discovered the #7 spark plug wire was coming in contact with something and it was partial melted thru. So now I need to replace the set. Any suggestions? These are OER correct reproductions for a '72 Pontiac engine. They've worked fine. I am just wondering if there is something a little more dressy. I am kinda getting away from the stock look these days. I temporarily fixed it with electrical tape for now but I need to order a new set of plug wires this week.

2088487260_IMG_42681.thumb.JPG.68583f686d5196cf1dc8faa49b708e9c.JPG

One of the alternator brackets had lost nearly all of it's paint. I repainted the bracket and touched up two others with self-etching primer and Eastwood Underhood black paint.

697755296_IMG_42691.thumb.JPG.685124b557e4fd4bb3a40b47eee4ecf6.JPG

Finally I purchased a new carb fuel filter, PCV valve. and replacement belts (AC, alternator, and power steering) belts on Lucy - although I am hold off on installing the air conditioning belt for now. Since the AC has not worked in the 25+ years I've owned the car, I decided not to re-install it until I get the AC repaired - which is on my (eventual) to do list.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

On 8/26/2019 at 10:17 AM, Frosty said:

Lucy got some love this weekend. She got a new set of spark plugs. Some NOS AC Spark Plugs (Flint made of course) R44TS, gapped to .035.

567814850_IMG_42631.thumb.JPG.40ecea2293901687302ca0f0493c3b7a.JPG

Sorry this is upside down - I feel like I'm Indyman Joe now! LOL! Sorry Joe!

400637610_IMG_42641.thumb.JPG.20e654ef84cfe2d576e8452116df9ff8.JPG

I think it's time for new plugs after almost a decade! Sorry about the bad focus!

881502621_IMG_42661.thumb.JPG.c0c5afb26dda025f3ff7a8fc448d7271.JPG

I discovered the #7 spark plug wire was coming in contact with something and it was partial melted thru. So now I need to replace the set. Any suggestions? These are OER correct reproductions for a '72 Pontiac engine. They've worked fine. I am just wondering if there is something a little more dressy. I am kinda getting away from the stock look these days. I temporarily fixed it with electrical tape for now but I need to order a new set of plug wires this week.

2088487260_IMG_42681.thumb.JPG.68583f686d5196cf1dc8faa49b708e9c.JPG

One of the alternator brackets had lost nearly all of it's paint. I repainted the bracket and touched up two others with self-etching primer and Eastwood Underhood black paint.

697755296_IMG_42691.thumb.JPG.685124b557e4fd4bb3a40b47eee4ecf6.JPG

Finally I purchased a new carb fuel filter, PCV valve. and replacement belts (AC, alternator, and power steering) belts on Lucy - although I am hold off on installing the air conditioning belt for now. Since the AC has not worked in the 25+ years I've owned the car, I decided not to re-install it until I get the AC repaired - which is on my (eventual) to do list.

I don’t know, a snowman, aka frozen water & electricity doesn’t sound like a good idea!

That said, I would look for a set of right angle AC delco wire that would work. It’s hard to beat AC’s. The one thing you might consider, if you don’t already have them, are good wire  looms! Ones that attach to the valve covers as well as ones that fasten to the wires down closer to the boots, but not metal!

38 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

I don’t know, a snowman, aka frozen water & electricity doesn’t sound like a good idea!

That said, I would look for a set of right angle AC delco wire that would work. It’s hard to beat AC’s. The one thing you might consider, if you don’t already have them, are good wire  looms! Ones that attach to the valve covers as well as ones that fasten to the wires down closer to the boots, but not metal!

Wire looms are one thing I do NOT have Last Indian. I will check to see what Summit or Rock Auto might have - in both AC plug wires and wire looms. Thanks for the recommendation.

51 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Wire looms are one thing I do NOT have Last Indian. I will check to see what Summit or Rock Auto might have - in both AC plug wires and wire looms. Thanks for the recommendation.

You don’t need to go expensive with the wire looms. Just something that allows you to keep the wires where you what them, but I would suggest plastic ones. Using metal ones can cause a shorting between wires when interconnected. Especially when rpms increase! When rpms increases resistance for the spark can increase. This resistance can sometimes jump through the insulation of the wire taking the path of least resistance, the metal wire loom, causing a basic short to the other wires! 

While this is a completely different setup than your here’s what mine looks like.

1D6C9E51-C62A-4061-9829-57E9E703B4AA.jpeg

6CECF8BC-052F-40E6-A3BB-0755CA0564CB.jpeg

• Like 1

Excellent advice. I was looking at the metal looms just because they look cleaner. However, your point about path of least resistance is a reason to pause.

2 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Not the best pic's, but mine are chrome with plastic/rubber looms on the ends that hold the wires.  Never had a prob.

GTO 012.jpg

Yup! Those are good, the plastic heads insulate the wires from ground!

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Frosty said:

So what is the plan for this piece?

Well it’s one of those things you can’t put your finger on, at least not yet! Not till I get into it. I have a basic plan, but it will develop into a concept as I get into it a little further. 

The gist is, while, again I can’t put my finger on all of it there’s just something lacking in the current front cover/Kaminari add on piece & the splitter. The splitter I know! It just looks incomplete, lacking, just kind of hanging in space. That I’ve already started to address, see pics! One of the things I did recently, while not necessarily obvious, without comparing photos. Is I cut down the center stanchion as well as the end stanchions, you can’t see those very easily. This helps to tuck the splitter up tighter to the cover bottom. You can kind of tell when you look at the pictures with the add on piece vs the picture the says current. The front cover/Kaminari piece I have yet to completely conceptualize yet, but it will be different than the other, especially the side Naca ducts.

A6C031EB-2C28-4003-9BE1-A310F6EFE95F.jpeg

F9D2AEDE-48ED-4AA9-BA2D-8985AC232632.jpeg

97C80B4E-AF86-49DB-8962-CA42FC621820.jpeg

Current splitter look is below.

14D9E28B-D9F2-4298-890B-79DBA9D073AF.jpeg

Edited by Last Indian

5 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Was thinkin it was perfect before, but it really does need the end cap for the splitter.   Dangit...droolin all over the keypad JUSTA staring at your pic's.

Yup! It does! Also at this point, the NACA duct that comes from the Kaminari add on, which overlays the OEM cover I plan to enhance the ducts and make them functional. That whole area on the lower side of the cover/Kaminari add on & the splitter become a low pressure area. Which in turn should become ideal for even a better Ram Air! 

6BBA94F0-62F7-4B5A-AC73-D64BF1695AAC.jpeg

How was Golling?

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1

So pretty much this is how my car life is going,

Mask off everything

Sand with 220

Blow off car

Dust wipe

tack cloth

final prep wipe/ degreaser

Primer sealer

Blow off car

Dust wipe

tack cloth

Primer surfacer

Blow off car

Dust wipe

tack cloth

Sand with 400

Primer sealer

Gonna be sanding with 1000 grit and remasking the car ready for paint.

23 minutes ago, notallthere said:

Mask off everything

Sand with 220

Blow of car

Dust wipe

tack cloth

Primer sealer

Blow of car

Dust wipe

tack cloth

Primer surfacer

Blow of car

Dust wipe

tack cloth

Sand with 400

Primer sealer

Blow of car?  Must be habit forming you seem to do it alot.

Great job buddy. It's nice to see the FrankenChevelle all one color....Canadian grey, eh?

526204499_IMG_44321.thumb.JPG.b0060bf6d6d476f6c43474774ac91c88.JPG

Just now, notallthere said:

Spelling was optional in my Catholic Highschool

Sister Mary Cruel - with the steel ruler for cracking across the knuckles?

1 hour ago, notallthere said:

Mask off everything

Sand with 220

Blow off car

Dust wipe

tack cloth

Primer sealer

Blow off car

Dust wipe

tack cloth

Primer surfacer

Blow off car

Dust wipe

tack cloth

Sand with 400

Primer sealer

Looks really good, I love painting a car! Lots of work, but lots of fun! This is a great time of year to paint. Low humidity, moderate temps.

Good luck!

• Founders
2 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Low humidity, moderate temps.

Not in FL :lol: . High humidity and high temps. Except today, we have a "cold front" that brought it down to bearable.

Good luck with the paint job @notallthere!

53 minutes ago, Ringo64 said:

Not in FL :lol: . High humidity and high temps. Except today, we have a "cold front" that brought it down to bearable.

Good luck with the paint job @notallthere!

Dah! Yah, in FL you just throw the paint in the air and drive through it! 😁

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

Dah! Yah, in FL you just throw the paint in the air and drive through it! 😁

True. Nobody every brags how great Floridian summers are. The heat, the high humidity, fire ants, gators, bugs, hurricanes, tropical rain nearly every or every other day. Still you get to wear flip flops to work.

59 minutes ago, Ringo64 said:

Some have to wear suits but I work from home so no shoe policy here :lol: 

I think I am beginning to understand the meaning of "Cheap Friends".

525450869_IMG_44341.thumb.JPG.ef8939744ffd67aa92226cd9f5ac5f47.JPG