Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

The Little Yellow Car That Could

Once upon a time, there was a twelve-year-old girl who fell in love with a car. It was a yellow 1988 Pontiac Fiero that was parked in the snow outside the local Citgo with a for sale sign in the window. She wanted this car more than she had wanted a thing in her life before and wished and hoped that somehow, some way, her dream of owning it would come true.

Not a month later, keeping warm by the fire on a cold evening in early spring, this girl was assembling a model Fiero with her father. He knew of her dreams of owning that little yellow car, and was doing his best to make her happy by helping her build a miniature version of it. She made this little car into what she dreamed of owning and cherished it as though it were the real thing.

The beautiful and warm part of springtime came in mid-April that year. On one of these sunny mornings as the girl was finishing up her cereal before school, her father walked into the kitchen and asked her one of the most momentous questions of her life; "Would you like to take the Fiero to school today?"

Confusion settled itself in the girl's mind, and she laughed to her father, assuming he meant the little model she had built. Much to her surprise, her father went out to the garage, and as she peered over the half curtains in the kitchen, a life-sized yellow Fiero backed out and onto the gravel of the driveway. Unimaginable joy coupled with disbelief caused all other thought processes to escape her mind as she ran full speed out the door toward her future.

Fiero.jpg

That was 2000. Here we are in the final moments of 2011 and that little car is still a primary focus in my life. I am certain I never have loved or will love another thing as much as this little car.

She started out when my dad bought her as a nearly 100,000 mile completely stock yellow base. The reliable old Iron Duke tucked in her engine compartment was less than top notch, so she was sent to my uncle in Michigan to have his shop boys rebuild. They didn't exactly do the best of jobs and took far longer than intended to complete the task; thus I have vowed to never let anyone besides my father and I work on her again. When they rebuilt the engine, they did succeed in beautifully installing an Ocelot performance dual exhaust system with stainless GT exhaust tips and polyurethane bushings all around, for which I am grateful.

After the exhaust, YC underwent some additional mechanical and appearance changes. Mechanically, her brake lines were upgraded to stainless steel and Koni red shocks and struts with The Fiero Store 1" sport lowering springs were installed. As for appearance, painted black Fiero GT wheels, GT steering wheel and GT seat covers were added. The headliner was replaced and custom Fiero floormats installed.

In the past year, the headlight motors were rebuilt, clutch replaced and non-functioning horn replaced with dual horns from a Delorean. Currently, YC has had oil pump failure and is awaiting investigation into whether or not her trusty Iron Duke is toast or will carry on to see another season.

In July 2008, the Fiero 25th Anniversary show took place in Pontiac, MI (my birthplace!). Myself, roommate Mark, father and grandfather attended. My dad and I drove from home in Caledonia, WI all the way to Pontiac, MI in our beloved little cars. That was truly a once in a lifetime experience.

DSCN1910.jpg

My dad's Fiero is the red GT next to mine.

FieroDay3005.jpg

The clutch was replaced the weekend before attending the Dells Run car show in Wisconsin Dells, WI for the third year in a row. Here, she is shined up and ready for judging on the show field.

DSC_0021.jpg

Just before her oil pump went out, she was happily residing up in Stevens Point with Xena the Sunfire and Betty the Beretta.

IMG_8029.jpg

Here YC is as she sits now, back on her stock wheels so her black GTs can be refinished. She is awaiting a final diagnosis on her engine.

IMG_0961.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Yum! She's such a fun little car that I've had the pleasure of detailing and driving over the past few years. Thanks for letting me vicariously live my Fiero obsession through yours lol!

I second this! I didn't really detail much, I did a little this year.....and driving also.

Nice to see that YC has a page now I can lurk around in. :woot:

Wow. Awesome story. Dad of the year award for sure.

True love for a car is a rare thing. Everyone will tell you that they have it but actions speak louder..

I've more or less had a 95 Bonneville in my life for almost 17 years.. with 9 years actually owning one myself.

I RUV STORY TIME!!!!!! :D

Awesome though! Great Fiero and story!

:P:agreed::agreed:

and its about DARN time you made a progression thread!!! :woot:

Yum! She's such a fun little car that I've had the pleasure of detailing and driving over the past few years. Thanks for letting me vicariously live my Fiero obsession through yours lol!

You're welcome Marky Mark! If it weren't for you my car wouldn't look half as good as she does. You slaved for hours over the WHEEL WELLS. Talk about dedication, sheesh.

i can't wait for the dells car show next year hopefully she'll be there

She'll be at the Dells Run for sure, even if I have to tow her there! (Or I'll at least be there with my dad's GT, which wasn't able to make an appearance this year.) Do you go to Automotion in the Dells? My car club and I go every year, I pretty much live for that weekend and the Dells Run. Check out our club if you're interested in joining us-- there's a link in my signature.

I second this! I didn't really detail much, I did a little this year.....and driving also.

Nice to see that YC has a page now I can lurk around in. :woot:

Every little bit helps!

i love your Fiero :huh:

Wow. Awesome story. Dad of the year award for sure.

True love for a car is a rare thing. Everyone will tell you that they have it but actions speak louder..

I've more or less had a 95 Bonneville in my life for almost 17 years.. with 9 years actually owning one myself.

I've had this car for twelve years! It blows my mind when I think about it. I still remember the first time I saw her like it was yesterday.

I'll admit that I'm one of the luckiest people in the world, just because of my dad. He's my best friend and I wouldn't change that for anything.

I RUV STORY TIME!!!!!! :D

Awesome though! Great Fiero and story!

Thanks!! I had to tell her story as just that, a story. I'm a writer anyway so it seemed like the most logical way of doing it :lol:

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

and its about DARN time you made a progression thread!!! ;)

Hahaha, you're welcome. ;)

Makes me want to go grab my grandpas old SE and do her up... one day for sure

DO IT.

damn!!! i stopped after "once upon a time". :lol:

Jerk. :lol:

oh yeah i'll be at automation for sure and i'll check out the car club

edit i joined the site anything else i gotta do

Nope, you're all good! Thanks for joining, I'm looking forward to meeting you and Cici this spring.

I want to buy a fiero for a project sometime and put an LSJ 2.0 turbo from a cobalt in it. One of my dream projects

Funny you say that...

10nzsli.jpg

Is that in your sunfire?

Nope! The photo is of a 2004 Cavalier LS Sport my dad and I bought this spring. We purchased the car solely for its engine; it has been my dream for at least three years now to install a supercharged L61 into the Fiero. That's why I made the comment I did and posted the picture :lol: This is not the LSJ of course, but this engine has been built and tuned specifically for this supercharger and we couldn't have built this engine for the price we bought the whole car for.

Before the Cavalier came around I had purchased an L61 out of a 2004 Cavalier with about 97k miles on it to put into my Fiero. I was then going to save up for the supercharger after we had the car running with the L61 installed. When my friend contacted me about buying his Cavalier for next to nothing, I couldn't pass up the deal. Once we remove the supercharged engine from the Cavalier we'll be installing the stock L61 I had previously bought and will resell the whole car.

Okay, your dad is awesome. :picard:

' date='Jan 3 2012, 09:38 PM' post='64043']

Sadie, your pops is da man. Srsly.

I do have the coolest dad in the world. No competition.

' date='Jan 3 2012, 09:38 PM' post='64043']

Also, boosted ecotec in a yellow Fiero? Yes plz.

It will happen! You'll have to come see it, or it will have to come see you!