Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1955 Pontiac Chieftain wagon

Some videos of my progress.  Started teardown April 2018.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

will put them up as I progress.  Waiting on the transmission guy to rebuild mine so that I can mount the body, hood, fenders and doors to finish painting it.

OUTSTANDING!   Now that's how to deal with the winter blues ;)

Thanks guys.  I finished my 47 Dodge 3 window last March.  I'm pretty sure that the wife decided that she likes it when I'm in the garage and not the house so she went out and bought this. lol

• Haha 1

• Founders
11 hours ago, casper50 said:

Thanks guys.  I finished my 47 Dodge 3 window last March.  I'm pretty sure that the wife decided that she likes it when I'm in the garage and not the house so she went out and bought this. lol

Whatever works, right? :lol:

I am totally blown away! That is a lot of work (very skilled work!:bowdown:) to get done by one person in such a short period of time. You are incredible and I look forward to every new video installment. :pop_corn: :dancingpontiac:

Thanks Stratman.  It helps that I retired in July.  Lots more time.  If someone wants to invest a bit of time here's the blog of the coupe rebuild.   http://p15-d24.com/topic/35504-started-the-teardown-and-now-the-build-up/?tab=comments#comment-361566    Not many videos but I did photo record of most things.

Great work Mike! This is clearly not your first time to the dance! 😁Thanks for sharing and I love the video approach. 

A lot of fun there, but don’t you just hate the cleanup!

I really need to empty the shop and get it all cleaned.  But, it's a bit hard to do with Alaskan winters.  lol

True's that....Alesyka / Girdwood can be a pain in the butt just to get to from Anchorage when it's snowing, just so you can go ski. However, Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet has some interesting views on a reasonable clear day.

Edited by Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

I've been searching for the rubber body mounts for the 55.  Cheapest that I can find is $175 for 28 pieces of rubber.  I decided to make my own.

1.  I bought a sheet of 1/2" and a  sheet of 5/8" thick rubber.

2.  cut out the 14 2 1/8" x 1/2" square pieces.

3.  used a spade bit 1 1/4" to make the inset for the steel washer in the bottom.

4.  next I drilled the 3/4" hole through the middle using the hole that the point of the spade bit made when it exited on the other side to center the 3/4" arbor bit.

That finished the square parts.

5.  the round parts I cut out using a 1 3/8" hole saw

6.  I then used the same 3/4" arbor bit for the center hole.

Total cost $35.

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2253.thumb.jpg.760bddef9a15d254011980eeb4413a84.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

So now that you know how to make them, you can turn around and sell your next batch for $175?? That's an awesome profit margin. I think a lot of guys would beat a path to your door steps if you decided to do that.

There would have to be someone wanting them.  I'm sure they wouldn't pay $175 for mine when they could buy factory made stuff for the same price.   2 of the bolts are not something that I could find I'm sure.  They have very large washer at the head all one unit.  I just blasted mine clean, chased the threads and reused all the bolts, washers and short tubes.  None were badly deteriorated. 

26 minutes ago, casper50 said:

There would have to be someone wanting them.  I'm sure they wouldn't pay $175 for mine when they could buy factory made stuff for the same price.   2 of the bolts are not something that I could find I'm sure.  They have very large washer at the head all one unit.  I just blasted mine clean, chased the threads and reused all the bolts, washers and short tubes.  None were badly deteriorated. 

Mike, a really nice job on the rubber pieces! 

A little something you might care about or not! The rubber you used looks to be fairly hard in durometer? So the tooling you used worked well clearly, but if you ever need to cut a bit softer durometer you need to make or use a coring type cutter for both the O.D & I.D. and use glycerin as a cutting lube. Also I don’t know whether you have a lathe or a mill, but if you do you could make the bolt you speak of. Taking or making the proper bolt size & length, than machining round stock to the diameter & thickness you want for a washer. Put a hole in the washer that makes it a press fit to the shank of the bolt. 

Just so food for thought!

No lathe or mill.  I always wanted them as I can use them to make parts for my antique firearms.  Just haven't found one and no one to teach me.

8 minutes ago, casper50 said:

No lathe or mill.  I always wanted them as I can use them to make parts for my antique firearms.  Just haven't found one and no one to teach me.

Well if you ever get one, I think with some practice you’ll find your way well enough! Just, get some steel stock and practice a bit. You can also private message me and I’ll be glad to walk you through stuff!