Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

My find of a lifetime

This is my find of a lifetime. 1969 gto 400 with 4 speed number matching. Been in a garage on blocks since 1986. Question was asked do you think it's worth 7 grand. Yes it is

PART_1477153956948_IMG_20161022_091819.jpg

PART_1477153936069_IMG_20161022_091844.jpg

IMG_20161023_2348077_rewind.jpg

IMG_20161023_2347421_rewind.jpg

IMG_20161023_2346126_rewind.jpg

IMG_20161023_2348154_rewind.jpg

IMG_20161023_2348458_rewind.jpg

IMG_20161022_0917462_rewind.jpg

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Thanks everybody I spent last weekend cleaning it up this weekend I am hoping to get some fresh oil in it  and see if it fires up. The guy said he drove it in the garage where she sat since 86. The owners before him kept a hand written journal in the glove box documenting mileage and repairs since 79 every time they got gas.

• Like 1

If it hasn't started in 30 years, don't. Pull the gas line and siphon the tank as dry as you can. Then drop a line into a fresh can of gas mixed with some strong fuel treatment.and try sucking gas up to the carb using a brake bleeder vac pump. Change the fuel filter, and prime the carb by pouring fresh gas down the vent. You'll probably want/need to rebuild the carb but this will give you a decent shot at putting that off. After the oil change, you'll want to pull the distributor and use a priming shaft with a strong electric drill to get oil up into the engine. I'm not the fanatic some are about doing this, but if it hasn't turned over since 86, you're beyond metal on metal. Rotate the engine by bumping the starter during the prime to make sure all those little ports get some exposure. Some people suggest running the prime for as much as 5 minutes. Dunno that I'd go that far, but then, I use a pretty hefty drill. A less powerful one might well need that long. You want oil all the way to the top. Might be worth a set of gaskets to pull the rocker covers to watch it arrive. Gives you a chance to see what 30 years of neglect does to oil in the heads too.  I'm sure you know that all fluids in a car degrade over time. I'd want to flush the brakes with all new fluid, and the rad with fresh prestone .. but those can wait until she's running (unless you see rust in the rad). Don't trust old brakes. Check the hard brake lines their full length. Pull the clamps and look underneath. It's common for them to look clean, but under the clamps they're rusted through. New lines are cheap, and prebent ones for that car aren't hard to find. The flex lines are made of the same stuff your tires are (more or less). The rubber dries and checks .. inside as well as out. One little bit breaks loose and plugs the banjo bolt and you loose 30% of your brakes. Don't do it. Just change them out.

And you'll want to get those pics to the Boss to get them in next year's calendar.

Edited by Professur
  • Like 1

Professor, excellent advice and I concur, Its not worth it to rush to start her. You got the car at a great value so dont lose that value by rushing and running the risk of expensive damage. Congrats on such an excellent find.

• Like 1

I already ordered a new tank just for that reason. I have another carb if this is plugged up. I brought cheap oil for prelube and after I get oil pressure for 4 or 5 minutes I'll go to the good stuff with the additive for flat tappats. The brakes are another issue I can not believe this thing has manual 4 wheel drums. I figure that is going to be at least a front disk conversion. 

Thanks everybody I spent last weekend cleaning it up this weekend I am hoping to get some fresh oil in it  and see if it fires up. The guy said he drove it in the garage where she sat since 86. The owners before him kept a hand written journal in the glove box documenting mileage and repairs since 79 every time they got gas.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...