Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Frosty's Garage Mahal

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

First and second coats of concrete sealer are now applied. Time to start moving in earnest! Jacob and I made at least four trips this weekend moving stuff. Car parts are on the mezzanine now. Tools are now arriving.

1476006298_FirstCoatofSealer.thumb.jpg.8dfc430d4727616763da518a08d1801e.jpg

What did you have to do to prep the floor before you applied the sealer? and where's the hoist going?  You did put one on your Christmas Wish list right?😁

• Haha 2

Both hoists have their pros and cons mate, the 4 poster is the only way to lift a x frame car like a caddy, and me personally love the 2 poster for complete access when working on suspension,  or even just detailing, sooo much more fun to clean when everything is at eye line standing straight up !!:cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

The hoist will probably be located to the right hand side of the garage. That is a spring time purchase and install item as I need to move some money after the first of the year. I was leaning towards a 4-post, but the kid has me thinking hard about a 2-post.

As far as floor prep, I shop vac'd the floor cracks thoroughly and swept the floor a couple of times. The pros will come in with degreasers and special diamond grinders and heavy duty shop vacs to get down to "virgin" concrete but I ain't got that kinda coin to toss around. I was careful not to spill anything before putting done the sealer.

Like we have to work hard to do that? Some things that I can think of right away are:

1. Try to get any parts for a even fire 231 Buick V6

2. Fixing JUSTAG6's car - again

3. Helping move and/or arrange the missus scrapbook and stamping stuff

4. Wait for any kind of service or repair man to actually show up

5. Wait for Indyman Joe to return your last phone call

That's freakin scary.....  you know me waaay to well.  #3.... will never touch that one on a bet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Both hoists have their pros and cons mate, the 4 poster is the only way to lift a x frame car like a caddy, and me personally love the 2 poster for complete access when working on suspension,  or even just detailing, sooo much more fun to clean when everything is at eye line standing straight up !!:cheers:

I agree ,it depends on What your main use is going to be, i really like the offset two post kind so you can somewhat get the doors open.

• Like 2

What sort of appeals on the four-post is two-fold: easy of loading and unloading a car on/off the lift and being able to store another beneath it. So "stackable" storage in a way.

Two post is simplistic, gives you more ready access to most of the car and ability to walk around more freely. I've not seen people stack cars beneath a 2-post lift before. I'm sure it's doable but I wonder how practical it is (versus a 4-post).

My goal is to be able to work on things under the car without being on my back all the time. I am getting too old and fat for that nonsense.

16 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

That's freakin scary.....  you know me waaay to well.  #3.... will never touch that one on a bet.

Like me - who said you had a choice? If she says move it, you move it! I've moved more of my wife's scrapbook and stamping stuff then I will ever care to admit. She complains about my car hobby but then all you have to do is look in our basement to see how much "stuff" she has accumulated......

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

What sort of appeals on the four-post is two-fold: easy of loading and unloading a car on/off the lift and being able to store another beneath it. So "stackable" storage in a way.

Two post is simplistic, gives you more ready access to most of the car and ability to walk around more freely. I've not seen people stack cars beneath a 2-post lift before. I'm sure it's doable but I wonder how practical it is (versus a 4-post).

My goal is to be able to work on things under the car without being on my back all the time. I am getting too old and fat for that nonsense.

Like me - who said you had a choice? If she says move it, you move it! I've moved more of my wife's scrapbook and stamping stuff then I will ever care to admit. She complains about my car hobby but then all you have to do is look in our basement to see how much "stuff" she has accumulated......

If I was forced to touch that crap.....it would be headed out the door.  That line was drawn in the sand many years ago.  I built the room, desk, floor to ceiling shelve's, ribbon holders on N on. And still don't see my damn dining room table for the mess of crap.  Touchy subject gonna STOP now.

• Haha 1

Well this absolutely breaks my heart boys!

I'm near the end of cleaning out the rented storage units and moving stuff into the new garage. I'd made the hard decision to toss my old Cragars to the scrappers. I've had these since I was 18 - back in 1978 on my first Pontiac, a 1973 Lemans Sport Coupe. I re-discovered them in my dad's garage 3 years ago when I was cleaning out his garage after he passed away. At the time, the rust and pitting was not this bad and they were probably salvageable. However being stored on a cement floor in a storage unit for the last 3 years has greatly accelerated the rust to the point they are not worth saving (the rust is destroying the lip  that is touching the cement - hence much of the rust chunks you see on the floor).

However, I have resolved that I will own another set of brand new Cragars in the future for some other vehicle. I still have the original "spinner" Cragar caps for them that were stored separately and are not rotted out.

Adios my old friends.......

Cragar1.thumb.jpg.3de1cab5094df3a16cdf7b8b99a96ec2.jpgCragar2.thumb.jpg.b8592c9d31a669f949efda3a26201014.jpgCragar3.thumb.jpg.08af3b098be37df7e775f56567cb7a5a.jpgCragar4.thumb.jpg.c0a708d870d51fb4e37061fc3ae9dc38.jpg

• Sad 4

49 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I'm near the end of cleaning out the rented storage units and moving stuff into the new garage. I'd made the hard decision to toss my old Cragars to the scrappers. I've had these since I was 18 - back in 1978 on my first Pontiac, a 1973 Lemans Sport Coupe. I re-discovered them in my dad's garage 3 years ago when I was cleaning out his garage after he passed away. At the time, the rust and pitting was not this bad and they were probably salvageable. However being stored on a cement floor in a storage unit for the last 3 years has greatly accelerated the rust to the point they are not worth saving (the rust is destroying the lip  that is touching the cement - hence much of the rust chunks you see on the floor).

However, I have resolved that I will own another set of brand new Cragars in the future for some other vehicle. I still have the original "spinner" Cragar caps for them that were stored separately and are not rotted out.

Cragar1.thumb.jpg.3de1cab5094df3a16cdf7b8b99a96ec2.jpgCragar2.thumb.jpg.b8592c9d31a669f949efda3a26201014.jpgCragar3.thumb.jpg.08af3b098be37df7e775f56567cb7a5a.jpgCragar4.thumb.jpg.c0a708d870d51fb4e37061fc3ae9dc38.jpg

ah !!! Frosty !! wall art for the new Shed !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founders
2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Thanks guys.

Honestly Ringo, there is a lot to do just to finish building out the garage. I need to mount the smoke detectors/carbon monoxide detectors in the ceiling, purchase fire extinguishers, shelves and cabinets, set up the work bench, organize the mezzanine a bit more once the shelves go in, organize and put up the man cave wall art, .....

As for the cars, they all have needs.

I need to get Lucy back together - now I need to add a steering column to the list of parts.

The Roadmonster needs body and paint work. There is rust in the rear quarters coming thru.

Black Beauty needs tires, fluid changes, a new rear spoiler, and then I have to figure out whatever else she needs.

Got your work cut out for you. Going to put a heater in for winter? Maybe I missed if you mentioned it...

• Like 2

Looks to me as you have timed it perfect Frosty!!, by the end of the coming winter, your mahal will be all sorted, set of tires and fluid change on the ta, and theirs your first car ready for spring cruising !!:cheers:.....

you missed one thing!!! 

sound system!!! no Mahal would be complete without a good sound system for when your working!!!

First thing i did when i built my tin shed was buy a good amp, radio, tape player, with a tv decoder and a data cable back to my computer so i can play anything from sky tv, to radio to utube to rova.

mostly i have the sound belting out rock., nothing like firing up a motor to a bit of Metallica or doing a bit of detailing with a cold beer to free bird....:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 1:47 PM, Frosty said:

That’s a shame Frosty! Wish I had known! Never ever put aluminum & steel together on concrete. Basically that a low voltage battery! Similar reason you should not put an aluminum rim in direct contact with a steel/cast iron rotor. Over time you’ll see the aluminum start to pit and see white powder. 

The Mahal is looking great Buddy! 

Hey by the way, that last picture, how did you get those rims stay on the ceiling 😂!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Last Indian said:

The Mahal is looking great Buddy! 

Hey by the way, that last picture, how did you get those rims stay on the ceiling 😂!

Thanks bud!

What else? i used the handyman’s secret weapon, duct tape! 

Edited by Frosty
  • Haha 2

On 11/14/2021 at 3:57 PM, Frosty said:

Yesterday was a huge milestone. It was the day that the Trans Am came out of my buddy's pole barn and drive to it's new home! I have not driven this car in nearly 10 years!

We had to put a new battery in it, and it fired right up (we actually started it last year for the first time in 9 years). Chuck poured some Seafoam into the gas tank. I had to air up all the tires, they were 15-20 pounds low after sitting all this time. I could feel the flat spots on the tires going down the road. The brakes made noise when I applied them until I wore the rust off the rotors.

We drove about 15 miles from Chuck's place to the garage mahal. I stayed off the expressway since I know the tires are sooo old they definitely need to be replaced. Two of the tires are original to the car - from '86. I definitely want new meats for it before I start cruising the highway with it.....along with windshield wipers and hood support struts (both of which are shot). Chuck followed me to the garage. No reports of smoke or anything from her either.

Here is a little emotional moment for me I thought I'd share you guys. I just started Black Beauty up....

IMG_6665[1].MOV 26.95 MB · 2 downloads

Here is Black Beauty in Chuck's driveway - the car is running in this photo

611053672_IMG_66681.thumb.JPG.266bc2bfe0cdc25852a12f8f5e5f9513.JPG

Here she is in her new home next Lucy for the first time in a decade, and for the first time next to the Roadmonster.

371039704_IMG_66861.thumb.JPG.8c0c9b02d4b33a422e84f8138da54777.JPG381038508_IMG_66841.thumb.JPG.12199512598c745e94657a749498b598.JPG

Chuck is sooo happy to see it go.  Was only suppose to be there for a winter???:rofl:   Nice shot of the 3 in the new diggs.  All these years and I've never seen it in person.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:10 PM, Frosty said:

Jacob and I have talked about some sort internet connection and a Smart TV hook up of some sort down the road. I am already a SiriusXM subscriber so I can digitally get that through my phone or laptop if I want it, besides my Chevy Colorado.

Short term solution is wireless bluetooth speakers and using my cell phone, iPod, iPad, or laptop. I have some freebie speakers that I got from both Gold Eagle and from one of Olivet College's athletics fund raiser/give aways. I had enough forethought to make sure that I had a couple of electrical outlets are also USB power outlets.

I also want to put some sort of short circuit/private video system in the garage to monitor who comes and goes. I need to research an inexpensive yet reliable system. I only need to monitor the walk-in and garage doors at this point.

RING>>>

• Like 1