Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

hay fitzy, shops like supercheap sell good safe spring compressors, and done right it as safe as!

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/toolpro-toolpro-coil-spring-compressor-pair/12548.html

i have never had a need for a ball joint separator, just use two big hammers on each side and wack them.

and doing it your self not only saves money for more beers but you learn stuff at the same time :cheers:

when it comes to doing your a arm bushes you will need to find a mate with a press.

i bought my self one many a arm jobs ago and never regretted buying it.

they are not expensive but are bulky and you will need to find a home for it when not in use

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/sca-sca-shop-press-h-frame-6000kg/214467.html

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

They make spring compressor tools of course. Just one more expensive tool you’ll probably never use again after this job. Any chances you can rent the tool form a local parts store?

You can put a floor jack under the lower control arm, release the castle nut and cotter pin from the spindle and SLOWLY lower the floor jack to gradually release the spring tension. You may need to whack the ball joint with a hammer a few times to release it from the spindle before you try to lower the jack.

2 hours ago, Wrongway said:

All great advice, as always!  So all I'll add is the spring compressors really aren't that hard Fitzy, I heard how dangerous they were and all the stuff about the tool braking and spring flying off and killing you also bro. JUSTA  take your time and go slow bro. You can see how I did mine on my 63. I rented the tool from the local parts house and in that pic my son is ratcheting to compress. Now I wound NOT let him remove the springs but I did let him compress. Good luck bro

IMG_5554.JPG

Great to see your son getting into it Wrongway👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wrongway said:

All great advice, as always!  So all I'll add is the spring compressors really aren't that hard Fitzy, I heard how dangerous they were and all the stuff about the tool braking and spring flying off and killing you also bro. JUSTA  take your time and go slow bro. You can see how I did mine on my 63. I rented the tool from the local parts house and in that pic my son is ratcheting to compress. Now I wound NOT let him remove the springs but I did let him compress. Good luck bro

IMG_5554.JPG

Sweet pic.  Waaay to get the boy involved in our obsession.  Priceless.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 3:39 PM, Fitzy said:

I'll look forward to posting gruesome photos of what went wrong!

Should I start mixing up the soda and popcorn? Or you going to be awhile in the ICU and we have to wait for the bandages to come off? We love a good horror flick!!! :rofl:

Edited by Frosty
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

When the compressed spring lets go because my El Cheapo Chinese compressor fell apart and takes my brain out, we'll shovel the remains back into my skull and I'll buy a Corolla and lower that next.

Get the beers ready-Car Injuries 101 comin' up!

Hey I thought we were done the China bashing! I’ll give you a month to stop 😁!

14 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Hey I thought we were done the China bashing! I’ll give you a month to stop 😁!

Justa takin a break.  Don't get me started.:badGT:

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Fitzy said:

If I reckon I can get a compressor up there without exposing my own flesh & bone, I shall toddle off to the Ying Tong Super Happy Auto Parts Emporium and buy the sturdiest looking compressor I can. 

I guess Fitzy isn't worrying about political correctness, is he? Gawd I love it!

Somehow this is going to end up like a bad episode of Roadkill or Mighty Car Mods.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know, I've spent a LOT of time researching parts for that GP. I'm gonna end up old & crusty and a source of all things Pontiac. It wasn't supposed to end like this: all I wanted was something to tinker with in my 'spare time,' you know, the time I USED TO HAVE that was spare!

I'm gonna be as painful as a reformed smoker-Pontiac this and Pontiac that, blah blah blah...

Mind you, it has been immensely interesting and being a long time car tragic, it's not going away.

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

You know, I've spent a LOT of time researching parts for that GP. I'm gonna end up old & crusty and a source of all things Pontiac. It wasn't supposed to end like this: all I wanted was something to tinker with in my 'spare time,' you know, the time I USED TO HAVE that was spare!

I'm gonna be as painful as a reformed smoker-Pontiac this and Pontiac that, blah blah blah...

Mind you, it has been immensely interesting and being a long time car tragic, it's not going away.

Good on you Fitzy, nothing like a challenge aye👍

thanks for the link too:cheers:

• Like 1