Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Ready for another laugh? I get on the phone and start getting quotes for these gold plated diamond encrusted Cragar wheels. The first dude warns me that they are not legal for use in Australia because of the elongated bolt holes. So NOW I understand what 'direct drill' means, and of course I can't get direct drill wheels in the size that I want. Mind you, there are hundreds of 'illegal' Cragars getting around in Oz, so my newest conundrum is do I run the gauntlet and plead ignorance on the rare occasions that my car is actually on the road, or do I crawl back in my hole and paint my steelies and remain $2k richer??? Honestly, it's a good thing all my hair fell out when I was 25 because it'd be coming out now otherwise!

• Haha 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Ready for another laugh? I get on the phone and start getting quotes for these gold plated diamond encrusted Cragar wheels. The first dude warns me that they are not legal for use in Australia because of the elongated bolt holes. So NOW I understand what 'direct drill' means, and of course I can't get direct drill wheels in the size that I want. Mind you, there are hundreds of 'illegal' Cragars getting around in Oz, so my newest conundrum is do I run the gauntlet and plead ignorance on the rare occasions that my car is actually on the road, or do I crawl back in my hole and paint my steelies and remain $2k richer??? Honestly, it's a good thing all my hair fell out when I was 25 because it'd be coming out now otherwise!

Would have to assume the lugs on your wheels is the last thing a cop would think of.  It wouldn't be a reason to stop you,,,,unless the cop has rotating eyeballs. :rofl: Major speeding or maybe burnouts might aggrivate the cop into throwing the book at ya. :mod: I've been driving the Sunbird for 35 years with the (ticket anytime) Blower hangin waay up out of the hood.  EVERYTIME, the cop Justa says he really wanted to look at it closer.  Drive it like everyones lookin at that beautiful hunk of Pontiac ....they probably are.  :pontiac: My guess...you'll be fine.

Yip sounds like the response I would get too Fitzy from my wife 🙄

just buy the wheels mate 

you only live once 🍻

Bet the cops won’t look twice , and I know how hard Ozy cops are 😡

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

16 hours ago, Fitzy said:

On a sadder note, I gently informed the missus that I just need to do one more 3 weeker to pay for those wheels. The silent glare that she responded with was withering enough for me to 'sob' save up for them. Oh, the pain!

You know you will be jumping for joy once the boxes that say Cragar on them show up and those shiny chrome wheels come out of the box. I promise you the pain will go away! Three weeks of miser vs., a lifetime of glory! Worth it! 

• Thanks 1

So, I was fiddling with the GP the other day doing some electrics. But, gotta put the battery in first so I pop the hood and there on the battery tray is a bed of discarded chewed seed shells. Then some movement catches my eye and a rat is looking at me from on top of the inner fender. I startle it and it deftly climbs across the engine and promptly disappears. I brush out the shells and find another collection on the little steel platform on the other side of the radiator, so I clean that up too. Then I mask and glove up, get the compressor going and blow the entire engine bay, with shit going everywhere. So, after fiddling with the electrics and getting nowhere I decide to fire her up coz it's been a while but I want to do a compression test first. I methodically disconnect one by one the HT leads and label them as I remove all the plugs and it's then that I notice that the ONLY item of any consequence in there which I had custom made is the solid core HT lead from coil to distributor, and that f#%&@ng rat has chewed through it. Enraged, I invent swear words that make no sense and yell them to nobody in particular. It's time for war.

After the comp test (BTW that old engine appears to be quite healthy, all around 170-190 psi) it's time to fire it up. I reconnect everything and wiggle the low tension wire that feeds the coil and it falls apart in my hand. After I fix that, I crank the engine but it won't fire. I get my trusty syringe (no needle) and carefully fill the front float chambers with fuel to avoid endless cranking. She fires up, but stalls after a couple of minutes. No fuel in carby. I release tank filler cap and hear the sound of escaping air as I release the vacuum. Vent pipe is connected and clear - it's a problem for another day. 

Anyway, today I bought 2 different rat traps and as you can see from the photo, I always wanted a Rat Rod! Chicken wire everywhere, mothballs in the car, 2 traps set. I hope that thing is dead before I get to it, for it's sake.20201218_163826.thumb.jpg.2edbcd28baa902f01b2de8c9a8a3e326.jpg

• Sad 4

oh fitzy i know your pain!!! bloody rats cause soo much destruction !!

last year i put bait out and a rat was in the shed with the bosses mini..... brand f-cking new one, it ate through the washer bottle, then part of the wire loom and for desert, it took out the insulation from the underside of the hood. it was such a major that the car had to go back to Auckland to the dealership to be fixed thanks to insurance.... but the f-cker wasnt dead.

it got into the ceiling and chewed the water pipes one night causeing a flood that i found at 6 am the next morning, it stuffed the carpet, a door and ceiling... more insurance claims.

then...... we found it dead.........it had hemorrhaged, blood every where and my wife found it under our daughter pillow on her bed !!!!! 

wife..... super not happy

daughter...... will never know what happen

me.... never allowed to use bait again 🙄

what i have learned is KIS.... keep it simple..

a $2 wooden wire trap , with peanut butter on it, in a shoe box with a small hole cut in one end .

stick the box in a dark corner. or along the side of a wall, and they will go for it!!!.

i will post a pic tomorrow of my super rat catcher. we have had sh-t loads of them the past 2 years and bait is the worst thing to use. the f-ckers go everywhere.and cause soo much distruction, i feel for you mate:blink:

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Nice work. I set one of those spring traps with peanut butter and it ignored it. I also set a Nooski trap that remains untouched. I chicken wired my entire engine bay, but left the battery tray accessible and put a throw pack of Ratsak nearby (ALSO ignored) AND placed some dryer freshener sheets (purported to be a rodent deterrent) around the place including on the battery tray. The f@#&ing thing left it's nut remains ON the dryer sheet on the battery tray.

I shall try the shoebox method - it's certainly worked for you.

Ah fitzy, just remeber the rats dont like open spaces,,,, stick your trap in a dark corner or along a wall, the f-ckers are cleaver as !!

laying sheets out around is his way of giving you the finger :rofl:

give him something hard to get into and he will see it as a challenge.... you will get him👍

10 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Never seen that gas powered trap before, had to look it up. Interesting. Sad it can be beaten by peanut butter and a trap from the 1900s :lol: 

yes Ringo,,, they are what the department of conservation use all over New Zealand and are supposed  to be great !!!!!🙄

dont work on my bush rats :rofl: 

• Haha 2

Ah, glorious beer. After consuming a requisite amount I did more research on Cragars. It looks like standards have dropped since the company passed thru several owners. I keep reading about peeling chrome, but what finally decided me was that they can't be balanced on a regular hub mount balancer. I have given up on them and will go back to the Torq Thrusts, albeit with a PCD modification.

• Like 2

Fitzy - what about the old Keystone ET mags? Cragar now owns them, but they also have a 5 x 5 bolt pattern. So the JEGS catalog says anyway. If you are not a fan, I totally get it. The catch is they are 15 inch wheels.

https://www.cragarwheel.com/wheels/product-detail/series-32-keystone-klassic/

image.thumb.png.3952e3b079b9781315c41fe9438bd7f2.png

• Like 2

Hi Frosty, yep - another great looking wheel. I can't remember if I posted this info, but I borrowed a friend's 15" Buick steel rim (5 x 5) and attached it to my car and checked for clearance when it came off the jack. There was about 5mm between the outside of the tyre and the rear spat (everywhere else was fine) but the front was an issue because the wheels would foul the fenders at anything approaching full lock. Yes, I lowered the car so the fault is mine but it's non negoitable - I WILL drive a long, low car! So, I would LOVE 15" wheels because the choices are numerous but I have to have 14s. I could fit a lower profile tyre to help, but you know what? I actually like 14s with 70 series whitewall tyres on old cars - it retains that period correct look. If I went with 15s, I can buy direct drill Cragars and voila, problem sorted. Or Rallye 2s, or Dragways or just about anything. The other issue with 15s is that 15 x 7 seems to be the norm, so once again, even if I fitted 50 series tyres, there'll be clearance problems, and that will include the rear, soaking up that precious 5mm clearance. I need to get those new front springs in to lift the car slightly and I will then reassess. Anyway, I have a fence to erect, a carport to assemble and a shed to build in the interim, so all of a sudden, wheels are gonna have to take a back seat for a little while. The OTHER issue with wheel selection is that buying direct from the US is a problem because anything imported into Oz over $1000 value attracts duty, as I found out when my last Ames order turned up. Once you factor in shipping as well, it's just not worth it. The Torqs can be purchased here in Oz, about AUD$180 each.

See, I've got an answer for everything! Laying in bed at 3am thinking through wheel selection is an activity I don't recommend, but it does make me sound like a smartarse.

• Like 1