Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

8 hours ago, Fitzy said:

So, now I know why nobody responded to the DUB comment. I looked it up - what a ridiculous concept. Rest assured I will NOT be fitting 20 inchers to my poor Olde Girle. I found a set of new 15 x 7 Rallye 2's in Oz, so once I measure for clearance, they'll be fitted.

Ka-ching! Just money, right?

Hahaha,:rofl: i wanted Frosty to tell you like he did me back when i asked the same question mate.. but i guess he didnt see your post 🙄

8 hours ago, Fitzy said:

So, now I know why nobody responded to the DUB comment. I looked it up - what a ridiculous concept. Rest assured I will NOT be fitting 20 inchers to my poor Olde Girle. I found a set of new 15 x 7 Rallye 2's in Oz, so once I measure for clearance, they'll be fitted.

you bet mate, !!!! :cheers:money is just a pain in the arse! get rid of it as fast as you can!:stars:

its over rated, causes nothing but stress and we can live with out it.... if you really think about it :unsure:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Hey Guys, I've been doing more overtime and will be home again shortly, so nothing has changed since the lowered springs went in. It's funny: I had the back of the car pulled apart and couldn't do anything until I got the trunk lock sorted. Once that was done, I could reassemble everything. I'm still waiting on Ames to assemble and send my substantial order that I placed in May - I'm not going to complain because the US is doing it pretty tough right now (amongst plenty of other places,) so I'll be grateful to receive ANYTHING once it's ready. Amongst the items in that order are seat covers and padding, and a fuel tank sender. I can't replace the fuel tank without the sender, so unless I go to some trouble, starting the engine and performing some maintenance on it will just have to wait. Similarly, I obviously can't even move the car without a driver's seat, so 'test' driving it is also out of bounds. I can't replace my door trims until the outside mirrors and new door locks arrive, and I can't get the car to the upholsterer and exhaust place until all the other crap turns up. I have PLENTY of electrical gremlins to sort for now, but once I have determined that there's room for my Rallye wheels, I'll order them, chuck some tyres on, fit them and will take some pics.

Once all my stuff turns up, it'll be like making a cake from a packet of mix: add all the ingredients and there you are: instant classic! Yummy.

Typically guy. He sounds happy, doesn't he? It could be worse, he could be helping the wife with chores!

Hey, Fitzy, DUBS aren't everyone's cup of tea to be sure. I will concede that to some (although not many on this forum) it is another form of hot rodding. It just ain't my style!

• Haha 1

image.png.ac2d3eea3e19ad4b4de5944c11701efc.png

Fitzy - there is such as thing as "taste" and sometimes I don't think the DUB crowd understands it. I respect it as a form of hot rodding and kustomizing but it ain't my thing at all. When I saw some guy driving a DUB'd Buick Grand National, the bad ass car of the 80s, he had gone way too far!

I can respect "plus sizing" to a point, but it better be for a wheel design that's not available in a 14" or 15" wheel for me to do it. I am not a fan of small sidewall tires period either. I don't need to show off more bling in wheels and the skinniest tires known to mankind either.

In fact what is wrong with the old school Cragar SS, Keystone E/Tss, Torq Thrust, Halibrand, and Center Line S/ST  looks? Those are classic designs in my book.

Right now there are only a handful of plus size wheels I'd even consider. The leader is the Foose Nitrous with the simulated bead lock. It shas a lot of the classic Cragar flair. Still I don't want it in an 18" or 19" either. This aren't cheap either.

image.thumb.png.a9d73d25bc3ee23d121a39120628b1b0.png

• Like 2

Your classic 5 spoke design looks good on almost anything. Don't get me started on deep dish stuff either. I like factory offset: once again, they pay car designers to create a cohesive design that includes the wheels. Think Impala or StingRay with Rallyes - just perfect. Fortunately, all sorts of humans are created differently, and that gives us the kaleidoscope of design ideas, colour choices and engineering deviations that keep life interesting in all respects: clothes, food, structures and vehicles amongst others. But...putting 19" deep dish wire wheels on a Corolla, well, I dunno.

And to the myriad of folks who did that-I'm sorry again.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I'm just being proactive and apologising in advance, no particular reason - I'm always upsetting someone!

Anyway, moving along, I had set myself up to purchase a set of 15 x 7 Rallye 2s,  but wanted to measure for clearance prior to committing. I had a look under the car and they'll fit at the back but there's bugger all clearance between the steering knuckle and inside edge of the tyre at the front. So, it looks like I'll hold off for a set of 14 x 6s. They seem to be a bit rare (especially Down Under) so I may have to procure a set of brand new ones from Ames. Here's the thing: fullsize B bodies use a 5" PCD. Someone told me this and I didn't believe them until I got home and actually measured it for myself with a pair of calipers. Yet another friggin' drama involving parts suitability for that 65 GP. It's already been a journey getting this far, so I guess it's just another instalment in the never ending saga of an owner INSISTENT on certain mods to make his hardtop look even cooler than Pontiac managed in the first place. So, like I said before: if anyone Stateside has a set of 14 x 6s they want to sell, drop me a line. I faffed around with one of those online 'wheel simulators' and screenshotted a Tempest (no GP image was available, surprise, surprise) with Rallye 1s & 2s. The Type 1s are really nice, but the Type 2s just look the biz. The simulator even allowed me to choose what lowered stance I wanted and what size wheels.

The search continues.

20201014_164145.thumb.jpg.60e4b20b03dca7d1b9ba883fea0d5bca.jpg20201014_164123.thumb.jpg.6835ba7664a9ff41d83d95f938fd5479.jpg

Hay fitzy, there is 5 rallye 2 for sale on trade me mate 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/listing/2827232798?bof=XC8igfHo

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

Hi Kiwi, I had a look and they would have been perfect but I need 5" (that's 127mm) PCD. That's the size for B bodies and I don't even know if they were available to suit fullsize Ponchos in the first place. So, thanx for the heads up but I'll keep looking. 

• Like 1

Well have to keep our eyes out. The 5x5 bolt bolt pattern Rally IIs don’t come up for sale much here either.

Pontiac used the 5x5 bolt pattern on the big RWD cars until 90. The 5x5 Rally IIs were available until at least 81, by then Pontiac started painting them the matching body color. So these should be a little more plentiful than I originally thought. What I haven’t researched is the 15x7 vs 14x6 wheel size availability in those later years.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Yeah Wrongway - they just look like something that was 60s muscle inspired. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

I'm still not totally convinced the 15 x 7s won't fit. I need to get a regular 15" steel rim, chuck any old tyre on it and fit it and check for clearance. The wheels available to me here are a bit of a bargain-if I have to get them from the US, I might as well attach a car to them in order to make the shipping viable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I love the depth of discussion we get into here! They are great photos and all those wheels look really good. It's clearly a passionate topic because wheels have a tendency to draw the eye. I have a problem with wildly inconsistent rims on a car that just doesn't suit. Yes, of course we can all do what we want but we can also have opinions. My opinion is that factory 'styled' wheels (think Rallyes) are designed by car designers to compliment that car. Again, I like Chev Rallyes on a 69 Stingray because I reckon they just look right. I also reckon Pontac Rallye 2s look superb on any mid 60s Poncho because they just seem to be cohesive with that bold stacked headlight front and those sharp lbody lines. Spinner full wheel covers and 3" whitewalls on a 50s Caddy also look great, but a set of stylish big inch chrome 5 spokes are also gonna suit. I'll be taking your advice to go my own way. 

Now...who wants to start a new topic on dual exhaust tips? I'll start off:  I'm  deciding between angle cut 2.5" chrome, or straight round, with a rolled tip. Kinda leaning toward straight round, with like a 1" protrusion beyond the bumper.

Or, like this photo:

20201030_144130.jpg

• Like 2

Those would be great Fitzy! You could pack them with candy and launch it out during the parade for the kids or launch bowling balls at the car riding your bumper! :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wrongway said:

Those would be great Fitzy! You could pack them with candy and launch it out during the parade for the kids or launch bowling balls at the car riding your bumper! :rofl:

:rofl:

• Haha 1