Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Hey, while we're here, I'm thinking of installing a passenger side exterior mirror.  Now, I've never driven a left hand drive car in Australia but I reckon I'm gonna need some far side rear vision once I actually hit the road. My question is, do those far side mirrors actually provide enough vision for the driver? Those big swooping C pillars are always going to be a problem but any vision is better than none. Plus, I guess it'll even up the look of the car having twin mirrors.

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

12 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Hey, while we're here, I'm thinking of installing a passenger side exterior mirror.  Now, I've never driven a left hand drive car in Australia but I reckon I'm gonna need some far side rear vision once I actually hit the road. My question is, do those far side mirrors actually provide enough vision for the driver? Those big swooping C pillars are always going to be a problem but any vision is better than none. Plus, I guess it'll even up the look of the car having twin mirrors.

Ah Fitzy, you will have no problem driving left hook,its easier in a way as you  tend to stay left in your lane, and passing you just look up the left side of the car in front👍

Jutsa pita going through drive though shops :cheers:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Jutsa pita going through drive though shops :cheers:

Never had a problem yet filling the right seat when I get one of the cars out. :driving: They can take care of my lightwork, but it's not really a problem here.:lol:

• Haha 1

Thanks Guys. I also currently drive for a living and the GP is about the same size as the 53 seat coach I drive! Thanks for the photo-another mirror comin' up. Ka-ching!

• Haha 1

I ordered another mirror from Ames and was told that the 'line of sight' from the passenger mirror is not good, but that's okay. I can explain that to the Corolla driver I wipe off the road as I change lanes one day in the future.

So...yesterday I achieved a milestone. I've had the car about 10 months now and have peered into that rusty trunk almost every day mumbling to myself that I need to get in there and get rid of that ugly surface rust. I planned for the event the day before and then spent the entire day washing & wiping dry, wirebrushing and hand sanding every panel, nook, cranny and piece of hardware from the back seat brace panel to the back of the car, all the time contorted into inhuman positions. Amidst all the rusty dust I found the last remnants of vermin nests that obviously came from the old rear seat padding that had migrated into those side recesses inside the rear quarters. I hooked them out with a piece of wire and then emptied the side lower portions of the trunk, down beneath the spot welded panels that form the sides of the trunk floor. I used an air hose to force out bits of rusty metal, old caulking remnants and 55 year old dust, mixed with ratshit and rusty dust. Yes, I wore a mask and then I brushed rust converter on all areas. I crawled outa there a broken man, whimpering and hobbled into the shower to de-contaminate.

Today's task is to get back in there, wipe off the rust converter and chuck a coat of rust preventative paint on all areas. This is one of those jobs that you do ONCE. Remember, I bought that car so that I had something to do in my spare time - I never envisaged being covered in ratshit was to be part of the ownership package. This is the sort of thing you need to keep in mind when purchasing a restored car.  Sure, the owner is asking a hefty price, but HE got covered in ratshit whilst all YOU have to do is tool around looking cool.

Apologies for the crappy photo - we're experiencing unusually inclement weather right now and the lighting is not good.20200830_083613.thumb.jpg.405983318e863a0434b5129ad1cf55b8.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

I ordered another mirror from Ames and was told that the 'line of sight' from the passenger mirror is not good, but that's okay. I can explain that to the Corolla driver I wipe off the road as I change lanes one day in the future.

So...yesterday I achieved a milestone. I've had the car about 10 months now and have peered into that rusty trunk almost every day mumbling to myself that I need to get in there and get rid of that ugly surface rust. I planned for the event the day before and then spent the entire day washing & wiping dry, wirebrushing and hand sanding every panel, nook, cranny and piece of hardware from the back seat brace panel to the back of the car, all the time contorted into inhuman positions. Amidst all the rusty dust I found the last remnants of vermin nests that obviously came from the old rear seat padding that had migrated into those side recesses inside the rear quarters. I hooked them out with a piece of wire and then emptied the side lower portions of the trunk, down beneath the spot welded panels that form the sides of the trunk floor. I used an air hose to force out bits of rusty metal, old caulking remnants and 55 year old dust, mixed with ratshit and rusty dust. Yes, I wore a mask and then I brushed rust converter on all areas. I crawled outa there a broken man, whimpering and hobbled into the shower to de-contaminate.

Today's task is to get back in there, wipe off the rust converter and chuck a coat of rust preventative paint on all areas. This is one of those jobs that you do ONCE. Remember, I bought that car so that I had something to do in my spare time - I never envisaged being covered in ratshit was to be part of the ownership package. This is the sort of thing you need to keep in mind when purchasing a restored car.  Sure, the owner is asking a hefty price, but HE got covered in ratshit whilst all YOU have to do is tool around looking cool.

Apologies for the crappy photo - we're experiencing unusually inclement weather right now and the lighting is not good.20200830_083613.thumb.jpg.405983318e863a0434b5129ad1cf55b8.jpg

Even with the lighting it still looks great. Nice job.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, it's been a bit 20200928_094000.thumb.jpg.5b1c2eadf75394c04e818e9ebb764267.jpg20200928_093912.thumb.jpg.b8f2839efd58c89ac816ae593b446bcd.jpg20200928_093937.thumb.jpg.b6ab4917643f5e94a1ebe1e495ad09c4.jpgof a week and I have news to report. You may have or have not seen my posts on my trunk lock problem finally sorted (it's a good story - look it up) and I finally have closure on the dramatic lowered rear spring dynasty of misinformation and bungled deliveries from 2 US major supply houses.

The trunk lock on a 65 GP is a rare beast. My housing was intact but the barrel was shot, so I ordered a similar vintage Cadillac barrel and got a locksmith to make it work. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but after many months of finally working out how to fix the problem, it was joy incarnate to close the trunk and then open it with a key. More to the point, it now allowed me to reattach the rear fascia, rear light top trim pieces, rear light assemblies and then adjust and retighten the rear bumper so the back of the car is once again almost complete.

Now, lowered rear coil springs. CarID and Summit Racing both sent me the wrong product. After many emails and me repeatedly pointing out that the GP is a B body and not an A body both suppliers refunded me fully including international postage. In the end, because I was fussy, I got a set of 2" lowered front coils from ESPO Springs & Things and a set of custom made 1.5" lowered rear coils from LLC Coil Spring Specialties who were the ONLY company I could find who knew what they were doing. Now, I have learnt that A body Ponchos seem to be the most popular and most revered amongst the models. The spares support market seem to favour those models but they mistakenly include the GP amongst those A body models. Personally, I think the fullsize models are more carefully sculpted and are therefore the more stylish of Pontiacs but I can understand why a performance oriented owner would go for a GTO or similar. I'm obviously late to the party, but if you are also restoring a B body, be 100% aware of what you are ordering because it seems that Joe Six Pack who works in a parts house thinks that all Pontiacs are GTOs and yeah, these'll fit. Take it from me, they bloody won't!

Anyway, take a look at the latest photos. I took out the ancient Montgomery Ward rear shocks,  finally got the old springs out and installed my new lowered ones and some fresh Monroe gas shocks. Want a fullsize hardtop to look even cooler - drop it!

Sorry about the photos. I'm too stupid to work out how to correctly orientate them.

• Like 2

yip Ringo is on to it mate, since the up grade all my pics are side ways too ! so its not you, 

i JUSTA thought it was because we are on the bottom of the planet, and sending pics to the top:stars:HAHAHA

fitzy!! your 65 is dam cool mate:cheers:

• Haha 1

Thanks Guys. That's good news about the photos Kiwi - computers & me only just get along at the best of times, so am pleased that it's a site problem and not my ineptitude.

Am now wondering if I stick with the steel wheels for that 'stolen car' look or should I go for a set of secondhand Rallyes? Whaddyareckon?

• Like 1

Uh, well the current pics have the car sitting on it's original steelies, so you're looking at the 'stolen car' look, but I am tempted to fit some Rallyes. The type 2 Rallyes (5 spoke) would suit it I reckon, but the type 1's have always been a favourite of mine because they look understated. I'd appreciate any opinions. The best thing is that both are available here in Oz and are almost reasonably priced. What to do...it's only money, right?

Fitzy - I am fan of both. Do what pleases you mate. After all, it's your car and your wallet. You could DUB the car for all I care and it would still look great. People might look at you funny but it's still a gorgeous car.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Thanks Frosty. Um... what does DUB mean?

I'll let you guys know if I go ahead with the wheels.

i asked Frosty the same question a ways back.... best you show Fitzy, Frosty......:rofl:

Okay - here are a couple of questions:

As you know GP is now lowered 1.5" rear & 2" front. I found some 15 x 7 Rallye 2 wheels, car has 14 x 6 as originals. I'm not home for 3 weeks, so cannot physically measure car but does anyone have experience fitting 1 inch larger & wider to a moderately lowered car? I know that disc brakes need the larger wheel, but mine are all drums.

The other question: my car is auto & no aircon but car is fitted with the 7 blade (I think) fan, that only aircon cars had. Car has never been touched (as far as I can tell) and I'm wondering if the larger displacement fan was an option or dealer fitment at the customer's request if car resided in a hot area. Do any former Pontiac plant workers or dealer employees remember such an instance?

I just had another look at one of my latest photos and those rear spats are REAL close to the tyre. I wonder if an inch will make that much of a difference?

You can keep those naughty thoughts to yourselves, too!

• Haha 1