Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

10 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Pulled the belt line reveal off, after i had removed the interior trim and found 2 nuts and another in the boot👍 thanks guys,, i was thinking they where just clips pushed in.

i was lucky as its just surface rust only, so i have treated it and primed.

But the retaining clips are buggered, and i cant find anyone who is selling them, which brings me to this question. 

Being a 2 door hard top identical to a 64 impala, could the trim be the same... if so i found these guys sell the clips

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/product/1964/1964-chevrolet-impala-caprice-bel-air-rear-window-belt-reveal-molding-clip-kit-lower-c9082/81172

rust under trim.JPG

treated.JPG

It could work - for $12 plus shipping and handling it might be worth a try.

Original Parts Group has a "universal kit" that is suppose to work with the Catalina as well - for $26 + S&H.  They have both in 1/2" and 3/8" kits. Your call.

https://www.opgi.com/moldings/hardware/universal-molding-fastener-kits6/clip-molding-universal-38-set-of-10-ch2096.html

https://www.opgi.com/catalina/1964/fasteners-hardware?facet=|CAT2ND%3aECS82

image.thumb.png.a6b797fd5641f30c936f9f1c11205f9d.png

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

7 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Pulled the broken steering wheel off and you can see where its not broken, it has been cut !!, there is cut marks like a jaws of life have chopped it:o

So i have straightened it, mig welded it and Last Indian has given me the idea i can fill it and file it. So i have tonight filled it with a 2 pot epoxy polymer and lets see tomorrow what its like and hopefully i can get too and start filing it.

i am guessing that the wheel is covered in an acrylic  plastic ??? its certainly not Bakelite.

My plan is to sand it flat and paint it Black, but what paint to use on this material... and as always at the moment, do i have anything in the shelf that will do it... i am running out of supplies real quick  and we still have 2 more weeks of complete lock down, prime minister today is talking 23 April moving out of full lock down to a level 3... which means i can get back to work!! 

weee hee !! before my company goes completely bust 😡 

broken steering wheel.JPG

Since you are going to weld and repair the wheel with epoxy, you will also be sanding the snot out of the whole wheel to take down the epoxy - the sanding will add much needed mechanical adhesion. So I might try to find a plastic adhesion promoter if you are out of any sort self-etching primer. Then I would apply 2-4 coats of primer in the hopes to build it up enough to adequately fill and sand it - I know you said you are running low on supplies. Then paint away.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Pulled the belt line reveal off, after i had removed the interior trim and found 2 nuts and another in the boot👍 thanks guys,, i was thinking they where just clips pushed in.

But the retaining clips are buggered, and i cant find anyone who is selling them, which brings me to this question. 

Being a 2 door hard top identical to a 64 impala, could the trim be the same... if so i found these guys sell the clips

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/product/1964/1964-chevrolet-impala-caprice-bel-air-rear-window-belt-reveal-molding-clip-kit-lower-c9082/81172

rust under trim.JPG

treated.JPG

Pretty sure those will fit! Typically GM trim clips across line in sister models.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Since you are going to weld and repair the wheel with epoxy, you will also be sanding the snot out of the whole wheel to take down the epoxy - the sanding will add much needed mechanical adhesion. So I might try to find a plastic adhesion promoter if you are out of any sort self-etching primer. Then I would apply 2-4 coats of primer in the hopes to build it up enough to adequately fill and sand it - I know you said you are running low on supplies. Then paint away.

That’s going to be a tuff piece to repair! I believe that those were a blend of acrylic & vinyl. The clear is acrylic the black is vinyl. Which is why so many would first crack between the clear & the black. Being to dissimilar materials finding something that will bond to both for the long term and use of the wheel may be an issue. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Last Indian said:

That’s going to be a tuff piece to repair! I believe that those were a blend of acrylic & vinyl. The clear is acrylic the black is vinyl. Which is why so many would first crack between the clear & the black. Being to dissimilar materials finding something that will bond to both for the long term and use of the wheel may be an issue. 

I think your bang on Last Indian, i tried a test with acetone and the clear melted easy as, but the black not so.

hope the expoy polymer works if not nothing really losted 

19 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

rust under trim.JPG

treated.JPG

Here ya go...

https://www.opgi.com/bonneville/1964/fasteners-hardware/exterior-clips-screws/

See now I was beatin to the link.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2020 at 10:30 AM, JUSTA6 said:

yip no.... wont work, these clips are angled to the body so a universal clip wont work, i have seen nothing "pontiac" thats any were like the trim clips i have.

the closest is the 64 impala ones. so i think i will just order them and fingers crossed they are right, like Last Indian has said, gm standard belt line hopefully🙄

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

yip no.... wont work, these clips are angled to the body so a universal clip wont work, i have seen nothing "pontiac" thats any were like the trim clips i have.

the closest is the 64 impala ones. so i think i will just order them and fingers crossed they are right, like Last Indian has said, gm standard belt line hopefully🙄

That’s my experience kiwi! Way back into the mid “60” I would go junkyard hunting for parts with buddies when we were racing and the interchangeability between Chevy, Buick, Olds & Pontiac, both mechanically and body was incredible. 

• Like 1

Things have slowed down thanks to the weather turning to sh_t and even priming the steering wheel has been a pita !

i have had to revert to bringing my work into the lounge and getting some warmth :o

wheel in primer.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Things have slowed down thanks to the weather turning to sh_t and even priming the steering wheel has been a pita !

i have had to revert to bringing my work into the lounge and getting some warmth :o

wheel in primer.JPG

That is not what we mean in the states as a Hot Rod!:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Last Indian said:

That is not what we mean in the states as a Hot Rod!:rofl:

Last Indian.... i have a whole new level of appreciation for what you did with your steering wheel !!!:bowdown:

i have spent sooo many hours just sanding !! And i am just in primer stage😡

it would have been so much easier to just buy a after market wheel 🙄

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Last Indian.... i have a whole new level of appreciation for what you did with your steering wheel !!!:bowdown:

Looks great , can't see any sand scratches.:lol:

22 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

It can be an arduous task! The one thing I remember learning from doing the wood for the interiors starting with the Camaro was how I could take a piece of hard wood and sculpt it, sand and keep sanding it finer and finer and then polish it like a piece of metal! Then it would glisten just like fine piece of hand crafted furniture from the old days, but with no clear finish of any kind! Just bare wood! I kind of knew you could do that with a real hard piece of hard wood root, but not with just the regular hard wood. That was pretty cool!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 9:28 PM, 64 kiwi boni said:

5 days, 3 coats of primer, 3 times wet sand just to get to this point!! pita 🙄

Its been a nice sunny day so it was a good chance to get top coats on and start drying.

Not sure if i colour sand it and clear coat it too, guess i will wait till its nice and hard and see what the shine is like🙄:dancingpontiac:

pontiac steering wheel.JPG

You didn't say how many beers it took to get to this point. That's an important measurement too mate! :cheers:

Awesome job!

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Haha, yes Frosty..... many many beers:cheers:, would have been cheaper to buy a brand new one!!😜

Kiwi.....I always start with a brand new beer. I never trust where the old ones have been, especially around my mates. Everybody knows that! :rofl:

The wheel looks awesome - especially considering what you started with.

Edited by Frosty
  • Haha 1