Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

My Project GTO

Here is a link to my facebook album with some of the photos I took during my project, the wife and I spent many a long night and weekend in the garage and it was a lot of fun.

http://www.facebook....48044090&type=3

70 GTO resto.

Finally got the album on Photobucket...

http://photobucket.com/leesgoat

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jedi, the car was originally burgandy and I wanted to be close to it, but I wanted to liven it up a bit. The color was called firemist maroon.

I am also uploading all of the pics from my resto project to photobucket, it's slow but working. I'll post a link here when it's done, 176 pics... lol

Just looked through your album, and nice work! Must have been a ton of fun restoring it. Hopefully I can get my 64 restored soon.

Thanks Rykxus,

It was a fun project, I do have to thank my lovely wife who helped me through the whole thing. She was my extra pair of hands, she also did a lot of sanding and painting of POR 15 on the underside of the body, frame and suspension.

We started in December by stripping my 2 parts cars, a rusted badly 68 gto and a smashed 72 Lemans sport, I used some of the parts and the rest went on Ebay. I made enough selling parts to finance the parts I bought for it. We started in december spending almost every waking moment in the garage and I took her for a ride on the 4th of July.

The car isn't perfect, and never will be because I drive it whenever I can, but it is one hell of a driver and a good time was had by all.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on a job well done. Personally I love the '68 to '72 GTOs / A-bodys over the 66-67, 64, or 65s. That's just my preference really. I an especially fond of the 70 and 71 GTO grills. I think they make the car look very aggressive.

Havoc - Esselstrom did this in a matter of months, which I personally applaud him and his wife for. This is very atypical timeframe to restoore/resto-mod a car like this. The average Joe takes 3-5 years to do work like this, assuming he does most of the work himself. As notallthere knows, we have a mutual buddy who has been working on building a street rod out of an original '35 Ford. I have worked on that car for 3 years on and off. All that is left is to finish the body work and paint on the running boards, hood, and fenders. Right now, it is a fenderless driver and it is cool. So do to put this GTO togeter in 6-8 months is quite an accomplishment.

The other thing I applaud is he was able to sell his two parts cars to offset his costs in used or OER parts. Typically a restoration like this could cost $20-60k, not including your labor, depending on the quality of the car at the beginning, availability of parts, and the amount of work you can do yourself. Clearly, if you have to farm out a lot of stuff, the more it will cost you.

Thanks Frosty, you are obviously someone that has done some work on cars before and can appreciate the amount of time and sweat it takes.

The only thing that I did not do myself was the engine machining, boiling the block, checking it, honing the cylinders, installing the cam bearings, resizing the rod ends and pressing on/fitting the hyperutectic pistons. I also had the machine shop freshen up the heads and put in new springs and such. $1200 for the work and the parts to assemble the motor (bearings, rings, gaskets, ect) I assembled the motor myself and as you can tell from the pics I did all of the rest of it.

One thing I did that really payed off was cutting out the top of the frame rails and welding in the 2x3 inch tube. Stiffened the car up nicely and really made a difference in launching and cornering. I also rewelded all of the factory seams. I have no idea how many hours are actually in it and I don't think I really want to know. When you do a car like this it is for yourself and you time really isn't counted toward the cost of the resto.

:)

Hey not nitpicking just asking but why in some of the pics does the exhaust look so out of place and funny looking? Is it just a temporary one that you made? I could of swarn on those GTO the exhaust was tucked up and couldn't really see it except for the tips that hooked down from the bumper.

july074.jpg

• 1 month later...