Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Bringin' It Back From The Dead - 70 Catalina Convertible

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I'm finding that the rocker panel trim on the passenger side and the narrow, waist high trim along the passenger rear quarter panel are going to be hard to find.  I have tried the CTC Auto Ranch, Desert Valley, Happy Valley and Nobody Else parts cars in their yards.  

Anybody got any suggestions for other places to find these long pieces of trim.   I have found my two needed headlight bezels but not these long pieces.

Rick

• Like 1

You know about Ames, of course. There's Frank's Pontiac Parts, OPGI, The Parts Place and a number of obselete NOS parts purveyors online. Don't forget ebay and Craigslist.

I used to simply try several generic search terms, like '1965 Pontiac' and then put on a helmet and dive down the first rabbit hole. Hours of your life are ready to be consumed.

• Like 1

Rick 

i think it’s exciting !!!

take heaps of pictures and post them on your thread 

I found that after all the years of posting in my 64 thread  . I go back and reference them myself !!!! :cheers:

Kinda like a cloud based treasure trove ! :rofl:

But free ! 

JustA don’t tell ringo :cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I used to simply try several generic search terms, like '1965 Pontiac' and then put on a helmet

One should always use protection !! Hahaha Happy The Simpsons GIF

• Haha 2

Hello,

I got the trunk cleaned out and found a good Sears Craftsman 9/16th socket and the convertible top well yielded a good set of pliers - bonus for both.

The fellow with the good rocker trim has offered a price that is fair and I will also buy the spare steel wheel for an equally good price.  All that remains is to decide when to make the hour and a half drive to northeast Texas and pick these things up.  My two new hood hinges and springs also arrived today.

And I've poked around a little with the horrible paint on this car and have discovered something - this is a poorly done repaint. There's a far better layer of original paint under this top coating of yuck and I simply need to figure out how to remove the ugly topcoat. My ten month old grand daughter paints better than this. It had to have been repainted outside in a desert sandstorm.

I'm also going to be on the hunt for the original factory build sheet as I take this car apart and it'll be above the fuel tank, behind a door panel, under the carpet or within one of the seats.  Maybe stuck into a spring supporting the seat foam.

Rick

Edited by B52bombardier1
  • Like 1

You should ask if you can take the trim off yourself.  Take correct tools and mark where all clips and fasteners go.  Grab everyone of the clips you can get.  All your CAR finds and no money?  nickels, dimes, quarters? :my2cents:

• Haha 1

Four, maybe five pennies on the passenger side floor board carpet plus a small handful of lug nuts in the glove box that . . . . wait for it . . . don't fit this car.  I'm much more interested / semi public health afraid about what is under the seats.  But meh, its getting new carpet.

I completely agree about me doing the removal of the trim from that parts car and I'm also going to talk him out of the badly mangled rocker trim on the other side.  There should two good trim retainers each on both sides.

Rick

• Like 2

13 hours ago, B52bombardier1 said:

I'm also going to be on the hunt for the original factory build sheet as I take this car apart and it'll be above the fuel tank, behind a door panel, under the carpet or within one of the seats.  Maybe stuck into a spring supporting the seat foam.

Good luck finding it. Sometimes it is still in good shape, but often times -- time, weather, or invasive critters end up destroying the build sheets. Fortunately this a Pontiac. A company exists that will allow you to get a reproduction build sheet and a lot of other good information on your car. It is called Pontiac Historical Services Online (or PHS Online). For $75 on your credit card and your car's VIN#, they will send a packet of information on your car including the build sheet and the MSRP sticker. Pontiac is the only GM car division to still have all it's records intact.

https://www.phs-online.com/

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Isn't it amazing that with cars, the simplest of jobs takes twice or three times longer than anyone ever expects it to.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1