Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Bringin' It Back From The Dead - 70 Catalina Convertible

Allegedly :rofl:

14 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

I used to be a flawlessly good looking man

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I get it.  Its hard to be humble when you have the body of a Greek god such that I have . . . . . . . . . . . not.

Rick

• Haha 2

Hello,

With a good bit of cheating, I have been able to apply 13.8 volts DC to an internal connection within the guts of the fuse panel.  All of the rear vehicle lighting works - brake lights, tail lights, turn signals, flashers and the passenger compartment courtesy lights / glove box light also function.  All of the wiring at the front of the vehicle AC / heat and wipers is disconnected by me.  Oddly, the ignition key won't go to the Accessory notch.  And the radio wiring was cut by a previous owner with the connector nowhere to be found. 

But I'm cheating.  I still can't get power past a certain point along a main fat red wire and corrosion does not appear to be the problem.  Still head scratchin' and staring at the wiring diagram a lot.  But it appears that at least some of the 54 year old wiring is in good condition.

Rick

• Like 2

I am wondering if your harness isn't grounded properly or you are missing grounds in the car, especially in the engine bay. Justa a thought based on what you've described.

• Like 2

Hello Frosty,

I established a very good, temporary ground at the firewall sheet metal with great continuity but yes, all of the original engine compartment grounds are gone - there's no engine or transmission or battery or alternator.   I've come to the conclusion that the portion of the fuse panel that is exposed to the engine compartment is my problem and as of late this morning, I have ordered an all new engine harness - that includes a new plastic fuse panel square block at the firewall.  Plus all new wires, of course.   The old harness was beat up with brittle insulation and the car needed this harness all new anyway.

I have ordered it from Ames but they don't make them or stock these harness assemblies.   They are contracted for production with M&H Electric and this company has a very good reputation but I won't see it until at least three months from now.

I have plenty of other things to do on the Cat.  I picked up the cutoff wheel earlier this afternoon and cut out the rusty metal behind the driver's rear wheel.  The wheel arch stainless trim had to come off to make the cuts and I had to remove the rear wheel to do that.  So then I picked up a big hammer and tapped the brake drum off - I think the wheel cylinder leaks -- will be replaced anyway.

I will try to post a few pictures later tonight.

Rick  

• Like 2

my mig does the same thing and like you i found out keeping the line straight not curved made a huge improvement. Nice job btw

• Like 2