Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Weekly Pontiac Trivia

• Founders

Figured I'd start a little weekly fun game of sorts with a new Pontiac-related trivia question every Monday. Reply with your answer and feel free to reach out if you have any suggestions!

This week, we'll start off easy... What did Pontiac start out building? (bonus points for the year it started)

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hmm, i am thinking it was 1926, was the first Pontiac by its brand name and they made what was called the Series 6-27 range.

they included the Landau coupe, sport roadster, sport cabriolet, a phaeton sedan, and sport Landau

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

Oh sure! If you want to get real detailed about it! :slap: Good job buddy!

Thanks bud. I decided to go back and add pictures! I know how much this bunch LOVES pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

The first vehicles named Pontiac were horse drawn carriages and sleighs starting in 1893 by the Pontiac Buggy Company. Founder Edward Murphy would later create Oakland Motor Car Company in 1908. GM would purchase Oakland in 1909.

image.thumb.png.b384691a13711052e6d2d1011e44cabe.png

The first automobile named "The Pontiac" HIgh Wheel Runabout was created by the Pontiac Buggy and Wagon Works in 1908, not Oakland Motor Car Company. Around 50 are believed to have been built in 1908. Four are known to still exist, two of them are in Michigan. One in Flint and one in Pontiac.

image.png.6d6ca6aba0ede2711316adc838261ef3.png

The first Pontiac made by General Motors and Oakland Motor Car Company was made in 1926.

image.png.2e16336d50842ae97acc948209280749.png

CHEAT...... This like recalling family memories for those of us from the PONTIAC MI area.:slap:

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

CHEAT...... This like recalling family memories for those of us from the PONTIAC MI area.:slap:

.....and your point is?

Is it cheating if you know it? Besides the pictures of the Pontiac buggy is from Pontiac Illinois! Neah!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Frosty said:

.....and your point is?

Is it cheating if you know it? Besides the pictures of the Pontiac buggy is from Pontiac Illinois! Neah!

Oh well, :lol2: Everybody else Justa googled it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Oh well, :lol2: Everybody else Justa googled it.

Yeah, but how many of them knew about the High Wheel Runabout - especially since it is technically not part of the GM/Oakland/Pontiac history?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Yeah, but how many of them knew about the High Wheel Runabout - especially since it is technically not part of the GM/Oakland/Pontiac history?

Of course it was a high wheel, it's made from a carriage.  Low riders were not even thought of,  hydraulics (steam power) was waay to bulky Justa make it drop into the weeds.  Raise for rock crawling or WTF would they make it bounce for?  :rofl:     Kidding aside, good info/pic's buddy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Thanks bud. I decided to go back and add pictures! I know how much this bunch LOVES pictures.

Where’s the pictures of the sleigh?😉

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

The first vehicles named Pontiac were horse drawn carriages and sleighs starting in 1893 by the Pontiac Buggy Company. Founder Edward Murphy would later create Oakland Motor Car Company in 1908. GM would purchase Oakland in 1909.

image.thumb.png.b384691a13711052e6d2d1011e44cabe.png

The first automobile named "The Pontiac" HIgh Wheel Runabout was created by the Pontiac Spring and Wagon Works in 1908, not Oakland Motor Car Company. Around 50 are believed to have been built in 1908. Four are known to still exist, two of them are in Michigan. One in Flint and one in Pontiac.

image.png.6d6ca6aba0ede2711316adc838261ef3.png

The first Pontiac made by General Motors and Oakland Motor Car Company was made in 1926.

image.png.2e16336d50842ae97acc948209280749.png

Well i for one learnt something new !!! thank you frosty,

and for me it made a world of difference with pictures :rofl:   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Founders

All those stating horse drawn carriages (or some form of that) would be correct-o-mundo!

In 1893, Edward M. Murphy established the Pontiac Buggy Company in Pontiac, Michigan and produced horse drawn carriages thru 1906. 

If you haven't checked out our topic covering the history of Pontiac from inception to it's demise, you can read it all here: https://foreverpontiac.com/forums/topic/230-1893-pontiac-buggy-company-to-2010-pontiac/

-----------------

Onto this week's question! 

So we know their first "vehicle" ever produced but can you list all types of transportation vehicles which Pontiac produced over the years?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

They also made the 20mm oerlikon anti- air craft cannons , aerial torpedo's, artillery shells ,axels for the m-5 stuart and m24 chaffee tanks built buy Cadillac.

They made parts for the Detroit diesel, engine parts for the gmc 270 engines, and aircraft gun mechanisms / gun tubes  including 40mm Bofors. :dancingpontiac:

pontiac at war.jpg

• Like 2

• Founders

Got a pretty good list going, guys! Think you guys went into more detail than what I was looking for :lol: . Fantastic! Here is overall what we were looking at:

• Carriages
  • Passenger Cars
  • Car Cab/Chassis
  • Truck Cab/ChassisTractor
  • Military 6×6
  • Amphibian Truck

----------------------

New question for this week: did Pontiac ever build a turbine engine?

• Haha 1

Yes they did.

They built a steam turbine engine for the Mark XIII torpedo in WWII.

https://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/General Motors/pontiac.htm

Now technically speaking GM built several gas turbine concept cars all called Firebird I, II, III, and IV in the 1950s - but these were not built by Pontiac, but rather by Harley Earl and GM Research. Although Pontiac would later take the name Firebird and apply to its F-body starting in 1967,

Finally, Pontiac and Chevrolet did build a prototype 4-cylinder steam turbine engine and put it into a 1969 Grand Prix. and a 1969 Chevelle. The vehicles were called the SE-101/SE-124 respectively. Pontiac, nor Chevrolet, ever produced a turbine engine for production in automobiles. 

image.png.f13e4104b5edc46a6452a2a4d3e55f25.png

Video: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1458512590840317

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2010/05/17/who-killed-the-steamturbine-powered-car

https://books.google.com/books?id=FyoDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=se-124+chevelle&source=bl&ots=6ZcDT4R9Iw&sig=wLDAFVzU86kJxMJG7UHhvos_ELc&hl=en&ei=F53tS6vSOYG-Npeq2OoL&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result#v=onepage&q=se-124 chevelle&f=false

https://bangshift.com/general-news/car-features/its-not-a-chevelle-with-a-blown-radiator-its-the-se-124-a-steam-powered-chevrolet/

I will have to check with Don Keefe, but I believe the '69 Grand Prix still exists today as well.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2