Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

markpetersonii's GTO - SOLD.

Thanks guys. I have weird feelings about this accident. It's the only one I've felt this way about it. Like I'm actually worried about the outcome. A lot of GTOs on ls1gto.com have been getting totaled out on little accidents due to the price of parts coming from AUS. I don't want to lose this one! :D

I called esurance and they assigned me to a claims adjuster and I'll be getting a call tomorrow afternoon.

I still had a ton of fun at the meet, even after "bowling for bikes."

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, the GTO bowling for motorcycles scared all of us. Did the guys post any of the pics of that corner on their photo site?

• Founders

Saw the video Mark..... I won't post it to keep your dignity lol.

Sorry bud, shit like that happens and of course there were bikes right where you ended up.

• Founders

I liked your post on ls1gto Mark, accidents happen and the best thing you can do is learn from them. All damage done can be repaired, that's why we have insurance.

On the same note, next time be a little more careful :D

When you going to put her in the shop?

' date='Oct 17 2010, 08:52 PM' post='38704']

They ripped you to shreds.

On the video, yes, because they are all bikers. On ls1gto, not really, moat of them have my back or respect me for manning up to it instead of hiding from it.

That's a fear that should be overcome, the both of you.

While it's a bit harder since both of yours are automatic, but I'd find a track day at an autocross track or road course, and conquer your fear head on. Have an instructer with you, learn how to correct a spin out like that.

To Mark:

I saw the video again, I noticed you immediently counter-steered, that's why you went straight into the bikes. In a panic situation like that, you steer INTO the skid. And since the car makes enough power, steer into the skid, and feather the throttle to get the rear end of the car going the other way (a 360* if you will). Hitting the brakes would just lock them up, and send you straight forward. You can use the car's own power as a brake, and accelerate in the opposite direction to slow down or stop. And of course, the key is, keeping cool under panic situations. Hence why I said, conquer you fear of losing control, by losing control on purpose, that way there, you get a feel for what the car will do, so you'll know what to expect, and what to do to correct it, so your mindset will go from this:

"Oh, crap crap crap CRAP!"

To,

"Alright, no biggie turn into the skid..."

Not panicing will make all the difference.

i agree ten fold. I am one of the most calm drivers in the world. i could be facing backwards and think to myself...i got this...i got this... (just as long as someone isn't in the car yelling, that shit ruins me. IE OMG LOOK OUT!)

Not a whole lot of situations bug me anymore. Last winter, while on the highway, it wasn't plowed, and there was one path. A slow car ahead of me, I try to go around him when the rear of the car gets too twitchy in the soft snow. While I did counter-steer, that's because I didn't want to hit the car next to me. He slows down enough where I turned into the spin, but the car just does a 180*, now I'm going 45mph, backwards, looking at the car I just passed, I flick the wheel towards the left, and the car comes right back around. I throw my hazards on because the fuel cut off fail safe was triggered, and pull over. Even right at that moment, I was surprised how well I took it.

• Founders

:)

Its all about knowing your car and/or knowing what to do in a situation. Like anything the only way you will get better at it is practice. I don't recommend going out on your local street and doing this but like Chris suggested there are courses you can take on this stuff

Thanks guys, I realized that I need to take a course or something. I am thinking that if they total out the car I'm going to part it out and keep it as a stocker and find a different car. Something practical...

I need AWD for my MN winters and mountain/off-road driving, also fuel efficiency. I'm thinking an R32, Subie or Evo... Unless there is an AWD Pontiac car...

Evos aren't exactly that great. Subies, I am fond of. The majority of the ownership of those cars are complete douchebags however.

Honestly dude, this should be a learning curve, not scare you away from ownership of the car. You have quite a desirable car on your hands. Don't sell it just yet.

I didn't say I was going to sell it. I said I was going to part it out and keep it as a stocker... Have it as a weekend car. I would, however, like a different car as a DD, something better on gas, but I can still mod and have fun. I really like the R32s, plus thay have the rarity factor as well.

While R32's are nice, being a VW still, they are irritating to work on. Parts are expensive, mod and maintenance-wise. MK-IV R32's are a better choice IMO, since their Golf and Jetta brethren are on the cheap, cost-wise at least.