Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

A case for Pontiacs return

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

GM wouldn't stick a gun under their chin (and their electric car program) to sell the Pontiac brand name.  I like the idea though.

Interesting idea. GM execs tried to pitch Pontiac as niche, RWD, performance brand prior to GM pulling the plug on Pontiac.

I don't think GM has the stones to bring Pontiac back, especially with them selling off Opel and stopping manufacturing of Holdens  in Australia. They seem to be selling off / out right now. 

I'd love to see Pontiac return but I don't see Mary Barra with the guts to do it.

What if Pontiac was offered as a limited edition or exclusive release, say take the Camaro and do the Trans Am conversion? Or the CTS-V and offer an old name badge?

One of the reasons the feds spared GMC during GM's bankruptcy was the fact that the cost to produce a GMC from a Chevy truck versus the profit a GMC made was nearly nothing. So producing a Trans Am/Firebird out of a Camaro, one would think would also hold true. However, GM has remained steadfast in not bringing back the Firebird/Trans Am. I wish they could see the folly in that decision but they seem to be too happy making money with fewer divisions to feed these days.

Also, I am not 100% certain on this, but I don't know if GM can produce the "Trans Am" legally in name right now either. I think Trans Am Depot now owns the naming rights from the SCCA to produce Trans Am named cars. Similarly I read that GM had let the "Judge" trademark/service mark lapse and it was also picked up by Trans Am Depot.

• Like 2

I would hate to see a modern Trans Am.Just a rebadged crapmaro. All good things come to an end. Respect what we had. I hated the holden gto's. Fast yes but just another aero egg to me. 

• Like 1

Copy that! 
For me the Camaro died after the 2nd generation, when they went to McPherson struts & went to a complete unibody. I understand their car designs are to make a profit, which is why I seldom leave a car stock. The OEMs often choose a design of a component based on cost not engineering function. 

Really doubt Pontiac will ever return. But if it did would need to have an engine specific to Pontiac. Like maybe updated version of OHC 6....or else would be another rebadge. Of course it's possible GM might do a limited edition Camaro based  Firebird or GTO or something. Would be more of a sales gimmick than anything....

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

9 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Really doubt Pontiac will ever return. But if it did would need to have an engine specific to Pontiac. Like maybe updated version of OHC 6....or else would be another rebadge. Of course it's possible GM might do a limited edition Camaro based  Firebird or GTO or something. Would be more of a sales gimmick than anything....

True but it would sell like hot cakes after nearly a decade without anything new. I agree with you though, I doubt Pontiac will return.

• 1 month later...

I fear you are both right doubting that GM will bring Pontiac back, but I also think that GM has no clue how many buyers have defected to other non-GM brands since new Pontiacs are not available. I myself will never buy a new Chevy, Buick, or Cadillac no matter how much they try to make them a Pontiac substitute.

• Like 2

I agree with you on a lot  levels. I will never buy another new GM product save perhaps a new Corvette or a GMC pickup. I haven't won the lottery yet to purchase either. So I doubt either will happen anytime soon. I have become a Dodge / Chrysler fan since the demise of Pontiac. I can purchase a well equipped Challenger or Charger R/T or 300S with a Hemi for less money than a Camaro with a. V8.  Right now I would consider a BMW over a GM product.

GM stupidly assumes that most Pontiac customers will turn to one of its other brands once their Pontiac gets long in the tooth. They expect us to be brand/manufacturer loyal. That seems presumptuous and arrogant to me. I've worked in business long enough to know that you have to work hard every day to gain, maintain and keep your customers' trust. That trust is a delicate thing and it can be easily broken and you may never get it back. That is something GM's marketing people and executive staff over look or take for granted.

Bottom line is this: it's your money.....buy what makes you happy.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

I have been a GM guy for all of my life. (pontiac and Oldsmobile)..Have owned As many Olds as I have Pontiacs..Even though they never offered a pony car..(I do still have a 1971 442..Holiday coupe 455 4 speed) As far as I'm concerned GM has 5 srikes against it...The first one..Bought new Olds Silhouette in 2003 With on star..A few years  later when everything went digital (GM) knew it was coming years ahead of time..Like the rest of us did. They didn't offer a retro fit. Rendering the On Star that I paid extra for at the time completely useless.. 2nd strike.. They killed Oldsmobile.. Which along with Buick and Cadillac were the 3 original GM divisions..3rd strike..No more Firebirds. 4th strike..Was going to buy a new GTO..when they were rereleased.. The local dealerships around here decided to Jack the prices up way over the sticker price..(NOT going to pay over sticker for anything don't care what it is).. Still can't believe people were dumb enough to buy them at the hyper elevated prices..I guess that's why the dealerships were able to get away With it..5th strike.. GM Killed Pontiac..The only way I would buy a new GM product would be if they offered a stripper package (no power accessories Windows seats etc.) on the Camaro. Have checked into it..Will probably never happen. Can't believe. I'm saying this..Will probably be new 5.0 mustang in my future instead of any new GM product..

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP