Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

The Metal Discussion Thread!

[ChaosweaveR]

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the reason behind your screenname?

Ding.

I've had it since late 06, the album came out in 05, so when I was rocking this SN, nobody knew where it was from.

Every now and then I do get pm's from random people, "did you get ur sn from scar symmetry song? i love them!"

:dancingpontiac:

"From the shadows I hide..."

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for interest.

Bringing up Stratovarius wanted me to bring up this absolutely stellar instrumental piece by them. Good fucking gawd.

The guitarist and keyboarder are playing off one another during the fast parts, it's mind blowing!

let me know what you think!

Here's another by Strato, off their new album, "Polaris".

Deep Unkown:

Back on track here...

Here's another one of my favorite power metal bands:

• 1 month later...

Metal Revival!

Any Dream Theater fans? One of my fav Prog Metal bands, next to Symphony X and Vanden Plas.

Continuing the conversation myself and Tunic...

Yeah, Soilwork's sound has really changed, sadly, to a bit of a generic metalcore style, as did In Flames. Speaking of In Flames, the album "A Sense Of Purpose" was a step foreward from that wreck of an album prior, "Come Clarity". The song, "Alias" was catchy as all hell, but nothing compaired to thier albums from over a decade ago. "Whoracle", "Jester Race", "Colony", and "Lunar Strain" are my favs. "Reroute to Remain" was when their sound started to change. I like that album though, some good songs on there.

I'll agree. Soilwork's sound has changed, I still wouldn't call it metalcore though. Not that metalcore is a bad thing, I listen to a lot of hardcore and metalcore bands, among other subgenres, I just wouldn't lump Soilwork with that group. Like I said, I agree their sound has changed, but it has changed progressively (and not suddenly) over 15 years, through 7 albums and an EP, and through something like 8 or 9 line up changes. Their current sound is not anywhere near as brutal or fast as, say, Steelbath Suicide or Chainheart Machine. However, I don't honestly think they'd be a band worth talking about if all 7 of their albums were just 70+ more songs of the same thing they had on Steelbath Suicide.

I see your point. I'm on a few music forums, and bands like Soilwork and In Flames have very different fan bases, within themselves. You have the guys like me, who got into the bands when they first arrived onto the scene, and the younger ones, who've only gotten their paws on new material, and don't like the older albums.

Scar Symmetry is going through some fanbase shifting, the original lead singer, Christan left the band not even a year after releasing the album "Holographic Universe", which was just stellar. But Christan's vocals were truely unique and took some real vocal talent, as he had a great clean vocal range, and still could do some awesome deep chest growls. Vocalists with his range are few and far between. But the band had to find two vocalists to replace him, one for clean, one for harsh vocals. But a lot of the loyal fans didn't give the band's latest release, "Dark Matter Dimensions" because of Christan's absense. I personally liked the album, and the band's sound hasn't drastically changed at all.

And then you have silly people like me, who have been listening to them for a decade, and who like both :agreed: ... Didn't know about Christian leaving Scar Symmetry. I haven't listened to them in a while. I didn't like their sound a whole lot though. I might have to give them a listen again sometime soon. Right now I'm just steadily waiting for the new As I Lay Dying and new Soilwork albums to come out. And I'll be happy.

If you like Melo death, check out Skyfire, Enisferium, Wintersun and Hypocrisy (newer stuff)

A lot of my friends find my taste to be crazy at times though, and what I don't like surprises most. What bands I don't like?

Pantera

Metallica

Megadeth

Slipknot

Killswitch Engauge

Avenged Sevenfold

Atreyu

People have gotten pretty nasty to me when I mention my dislike of something popular, and I'll defend my opinion to the death. :agreed:

Also, blame the music forums I'm on for my nasty opinions. :rofl: