Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

[ChaosweaveR]'s Grand Am GT Progression

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

i got left in the dust. lol

Pfft, you should see my post count on another forum I'm on, been on there since 2006...I started going back frequently the beginning of this year, I'm up to 19,000 posts, I think? ;)

• 1 month later...

Okay, thought I'd update you on the car...

Turns out that Timken unit was no good, the grease inside the packed bearings dried out. No hum, but it emulates a metal to metal brake noise as low speeds under load. To make matters worse, the slider pin on the right front caliper stuck again, chewing the pad prematurely again.

SO, using my work's resources, today I accuired not one, but two rebuilt front calipers, with brackets, brand new grommets for the sliders pins, fresh grease, new shims, etc. They'll be getting a coat of red Sunday. Next Thursday I'll be buying and installing a new hub assembly. My calipers will be installed, and new pads and rotors under warranty.

Replaced my blower motor resistor a few days ago, but the blower motor itself is on it's way out. Oy...

My ROHs will recieve a new coat of paint by the end of February, possibly gunmetal or silver.

My LED tails are in the process of being sold, I'm getting stock GT tails in return, same with my headlights later on, replaced with great condition stockers.

Stealth is getting the maintainence attention it needs finally, and going back to a mostly OEM look.

I know, but it'll still have style before it really goes.

My credit has actually improved, so that opens up my options for what I can get next. I really don't like the model year limit most auto loans have, and the white Galant local to me is still for sale.

Ugh, I can't wait to change out the calipers, pads, rotors and hub assembly. The grinding seems to get worse every day.

My heads and tails are going to a fellow member on GAGT.com, a black GAGT coupe nonetheless. I'd rather see them make a GAGT owner happy that's still motivated to mod their car. I think he's a member here, once he gets my parts, I'll make sure he posts here.

If I don't nab the local Galant, I'll set myself a $4000 limit and just get something with a 4 cylinder and five speed.

I see myself in three years taking a dive in something in the +$15K range.

• Founders
' timestamp='1325918797' post='64368']

If I don't nab the local Galant, I'll set myself a $4000 limit and just get something with a 4 cylinder and five speed.

I see myself in three years taking a dive in something in the +$15K range.

Is the GA holdable for another 3 years or no? Might want to just hold on to it then you might be able to afford something in the $20k range, just a thought...

Is the GA holdable for another 3 years or no? Might want to just hold on to it then you might be able to afford something in the $20k range, just a thought...

I could...but seeing as the ominous snowball of repairs seems to be leering it's ugly head...I dunno. If I replace the front calipers, rotors, pads and defective wheel bearing, and it still decides to chew pads prematurely, I'm gonna sell the fucker. I love the car, but the past four months have been annoying owning it.

I just read your whole thread. I love what you've done with the GA. I have to say that I love those mudflaps. The tail lights were also killer. Great choices.

Sad that it's getting to that age where you either completely invest in keeping it or moving on. I understand your decision. Sounds like the demodification process will make some other people happy, so that is a plus.

I'm at a crossroads with my car. It's really beyond the point of repair as far as rust is concerned (at least for my budget). I may continue the bolt on modifications since they can all be swapped over to another Beretta, but I doubt I'll be doing much to save any of the non-removable body work at this point.

I hope the GA treats you well for the remainder of your ownership. And I'm looking forward to seeing your next project evolve!

Thanks man.

Yeah, the GA has been great, I dunno why things started to go wrong now like they have. By this fall, the car may be gone if it truely stays troublesome.

Currently painting the new calipers. Much easier doing this OFF the car. :lol:

' timestamp='1325918797' post='64368']

DC4 Integra, just like I bought was going to buy. :D

DC4 Integra, just like I bought was going to buy. :D

I do like those Teggys, especially with the JDM front clip on them. If I could find one rust free, bone stock with decent mileage, I'd consider it.

How about a Beretta GTZ? =P

The last time I saw a Beretta GTZ...was back in 06. No lie. The few Berettas I see are beat to hell, and rusted like a motherfucker. :(

Yeah unfortunately all of the rust free Berettas are down south or not for sale. Gonna have to travel for my next one unless I buy my friend's rust free shell.

The 'tegs are amazing with the JDM front, so that would be a good choice =P.

LED tails are now sold. Going to a happy GAGT owner. I got my stock GT tails in the mail yesterday, currently finding a big box and packing peanuts to safely store the tails for their trip to Illinois.

New front calipers, pads and rotors along with replacement of defective wheel hub assembly was done last week.

Pulled codes to see if the P0420 is still the lone code, sadly no.

Misfire on CYL#4, not constant. I noticed the past few days under hard acceleration, the car will hiccup slightly past 4000rpms. I thought it was the clutch plates slipping in 2nd gear before pulling codes, thankfully, it's just a misfire.

It's not a priority, as it misfires only under WOT. Not to mention, my iridium plugs are $7 a pop. I'm looking at replacing the downstream O2 sensor with a Denso unit to replace the crappy Bosch one currently there. After that, look into prices on blower motors, then re-attaching the rear defroster tab.

Such small things hindered by my small budget. -___-

I'm getting the ROHs repainted professionally and new rubber for them with my tax return.

Depending on my headlight deal, I may get used (good condition) stockers, or black housing amber corners. I don't want clear corners anymore. Enough with the ricer headlights.

• 4 weeks later...

Welp...the future of the Grand Am in my possession still hangs unclear. I keep randomly pricing out cars, unsure of what I want. I'm very picky about how these cars come pre-packaged...

*The '12 Focus is still a possibility, as well as the '12 Fiesta. It's the only model I can configure with a lot of great options, 5 speed, and still under $20K.

*Trade in for the Grand Am is $2100 at most, I can privately sell the car for double that, and slap down half as a down payment, and the rest to finish off whatever I have left on the GAGT's loan.

*Still looking at lightly used models as well