Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I am in need of a few things

DId you blow on it or through it to make sure it is clear? If you  put your lips to the end of fuel filter and you can't blow air through it, then it is clogged and needs to be replaced?

I know, I know - you might get some gasoline on your lips. Hazard of the job I'm afraid. Bleek - no one likes the taste of gasoline! 

However, these filters are designed to allow fuel flow under 15 PSI, so using compressed shop air is not a good idea. It can damage them if you apply too much pressure.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Put your lips to the end you have showing, take a breath and blow. If you feel it restricting your air or you can't push any air through it at all, it's blocked or high restricted. A new, unused or unrestricted one should allow your breath to go through with almost no or very little resistance.

Same idea for a paper cartridge filter. Blow on this end.

image.png.a3b52a7d7cf8aca69f8396aab4a37b46.png

it has almost no particulate in it. Which is leading me to believe it's carb that needs some TLC. I just need to get me some carb clean

Okay - so the filter is clear.

Are you sure fuel is getting from the fuel pump to the carb? Again if the fuel pump isn't pumping fuel, the carb isn't getting fed.

Quick test of the fuel pump is to disconnect the fuel line at the carb and crank the motor. If you get fuel spilling out, the fuel pump is working. Be sure to have something to catch the fuel coming out of the fuel line too. You shouldn't need to crank very long to see if you are getting fuel.

• Like 1

I have a video of the fuel pump pushing a decent amount of fuel at least till the battery died. It's clear, tank smells clean, gas looks clean, It's def carb as it does have a weeping issue externally

IMG_20211208_122931405.jpg

IMG_20211208_111420492.jpg

well, had my grandma crank it over and I found out my problem, vacuum leak on throttle shaft and gas seeping. So it's gonna be finding a new carb for it or a kit. I knew looking at getting a rebuild kit was gonna be a good idea

The Carburetor appears to a Rochester 2GV...With a Divorced Choke (hot air) 

Yes that is Bad should Not be leaking gas out of it anywhere...It will never run right if at all in that condition...

Cold hard reality is to either rebuild/replace the carburetor...Anything else would be a waste of time/effort...

The 7043066  number you need when acquiring a rebuild kit...

Rebuild kits cost around the $50.00 range...Some kits are better than others as some of the cheaper ones may not have every part that you need...

One other thing Rochester 2GV carbs are two different sizes...Either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch venturie sizes...If you get good used carb   from a different car Measure the throats (venturies) first to make sure they the same size as the carburetor on your car...

TLBT...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 2

thanks. Much appreciated, someone on fb had messaged me saying they have carburetors, if they get back to me I'll share the numbers to see if they would work for my car, I have a slight suspiscion that the brass float on one side has failed as well, as that is one cause that can make the carburetor leak from their

I took the carburetor apart, did make sure to take many pics of it, though wrestling the linkages isn't easy. it was gunky on the bottom but nothing looked wrong with it, nothing leaked when I put carb cleaner to it so the seal is really confusing on what exactly is leaking. Just heard from the guy with the carbs, gonna get some pictures. will share with here to see if any will work.

carburetor.jpg

could any of you help me find a video to reassmble my carburetor, I wanna be sure of my linkages and stuff

Gaetan, i really think you should give your carb to a shop and get it fixed properly !, dont go getting another second hand carb, as you have no idea what your getting, look at what your goal is. you want this car to be reliable and get you to work every day right ? 

Without a reliable induction your car WILL let you down.

justA my ten cents mate... cheers :cheers:

• Like 2

https://www.carburetion.com/products/productdetails.aspx?part=KT-5290A would this be the right kit to get for the carb? gonna find someone to reassemble it. But yeah. looking at getting a carb kit. it'd be easier if it had little cotter pins vs stuff that has to be angled a certain way to get it together

It's a good start. I like it because it is ethanol resistant - which is what you need with today's modern gas formulations (E10 is probably the norm in most states these days). Note that if you need a float, that is extra and doesn't come with the rebuild kit. So inspect yours carefully before purchasing any kit.

my float is plastic and doesn't seem to be broken, needle and seat are in good shape 

You can't go by How good the float/Needle and seat may look...Replace Them..

Also pay close attention to the holes in the base plate where the rod that the throttle plates are attached to...Rides/goes thru..Make sure that the guide holes are not worn or oblonged and that the rod is not worn on the ends and fit snugly with no excessive play or run out...As it will cause a vacuum leak...Some kits are more complete than others..If you can get one with the float included that would be good... So shop around...Also most carburetor kits will have extra parts and gaskets so the same kit could be used in different model/Variations of the same basic carb...

• Like 2

Could I have a hand finding a good carb kit? or a recommended 2 barrel carburetor for brand new?

I'm not very good at finding info. especially when I'm also working on my motorcycle in the mean time when it's just checking wires, and cleaning

Car is covered now. time for a hibernation period and a bit of a sitting period. Gonna be waiting to work on it till I get the funds. or the parts. 

question. would this be good? looking around for parts and seeing if I can get a carb and get the tires on my car 

image_2021-12-25_124359.png

I have a budget of $100 for the carburetor as that is all I got. The pic is a used carb off a similar carburetor

I could use a hand finding some carb kits. My friend is helping me work on my car, he got me a master cylinder for christmas and I'm gonna put tires on the car so it's not sitting on blocks all winter, we're gonna borrow my friend's ultrasonic cleaner and clean my carburetor all the way and thoroughly, then my friend is gonna reassemble it and we're gonna try to fire it up

• Like 1

So uhhh I wanna get a VIN verification and well... I don't know where it is and if it's by the edge of the windshield then I am hoping it's under that rust and not a stolen/stripped car. There's nothing on the side of my driver door

image_2021-12-28_221559.png