Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I am in need of a few things

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I did, that filter looks good, the weird thing is it has fuel in the carb, like I can use the accelerator pump, and it's strong, but for some reason it's sputtering, and when it was trying to light off it was a rich colored exhaust smoke. at first it looked like oil but the smell, was all gas, like it wasn't oil at all, I'm gonna try leaning the mixture screws a little bit, but I feel like it may need a rebuild.

also question, any of you guys have a discord or anything that is more direct, I have a discord, that way I can get more direct messages as things happen. I don't have my login saved on my phone and trying to use the forums on my phone can be annoying

ok guys. serious problem. battery is flat, tried to use the trickle charger but the needle pegged passed 6amps which seems odd. I think theres a battery drain or something. Something happened to the car overnight that changed it, it was fine yesterday had a full battery and cranked nicely, to being a flat battery. I wish I had some people close by that could help cause I am very frustrated, confused and in need of help and knowledge. Google isn't as good as a second head to talk to that can help diagnose problems

Sounds to me that it’s lacking fuel 

I would pull a spark plug and see if it’s wet or dry 

if it’s wet it’s a iginition issue 

if it’s dry it’s a lack of fuel 

and you have to look at pulling the carb and cleaning/ rebuild it 

another trick is to give it a squirt of ether (I call it start you barstard 😀)

And if it fires you know it’s not spark issues 

• Like 2

I mean I have a feeling it's spark as I had the bottle of gas from testing the fuel pump and squirt it and it still only sputtered

albeit a little more sputtering but I think I have an idea. I think the wire from the coil to the points may be dead or dying, it's the one that was connected to the melted points

• 2 weeks later...

Have been watching...Agree with Kiwi Although personally I'm highly opposed to using starting fluid in gas or diesel engines...But in this case it (starting fluid) would help quickly isolate the problem and help point you in the right direction...Just use it very very sparingly so you don't inadvertently hydrolock the engine... That being said

99% sure the starting/ idle and stumble issues are directly related to the Carburetor...justa being worn out and desperately needs a rebuild/replacement....Realistically... That is pretty much the only option you have at this point....

• Like 2

it's inconsistent spark, having had someone come over something in the distributor or a ground in it isn't right as I had someone come over and we messed around and probed around. It has spark that varies in strenght. when it gets stronger it sputters then dies. I am thinking of swapping it to HEI to completely do away fiddly stuff and make it reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

they are new points. I was told to try to sand the clamp and the condenser in case it wasn't making proper ground, and if that doesn't work it could be wiring towards the base of the distributor, I also wish the weather would cooperate as not having a shop to work on this thing is lovely. Also mini Update.Radio installed out of boredom, looks a little jank but sounds pretty nice. now if I can get it to run, tires and then boom. It tried to run yesterday. for like 3-4 seconds, did not sound happy and a bunch of smoke came out. It had also been about a month now. But I have a few things to try, non of my wires were broke. It's trying to, but it only fires when the spark is strong. Meaning something in there isn't giving it strong spark, and it doesn't matter if I have a power pack on the battery or not. 

You need to test the wire from the coil to the points 

I would suggest you do a resistance test with a ohm setting on your multi tester and tell us what result you get 

first test from the minus terminal to the where the wire connects on the points 

then turn the motor over to get the points completely closed and test from the minus terminal on the coil to the motor 

you are looking for a near zero ohm result 👍👍

That last video you posted sound like a fuel issue to me ... but hay I am just a plumber !!! Hahaha 

• Like 2

I still completely agree with Kiwi...That you're having Fueling issues...

One other thing..Make sure that the distributor hold down clamp is tight and the contact surfaces are good and clean.... As the hold down clamp provides the main ground (earth) between the engine block and the body of the distributor itself...

• Like 2

The coil is healthy and within spec. and for comparison, tested the mopar coil which should read the same, and the old coil which is still surprisingly good. I need to get that wire, but first I need to find a multimeter. I have a feeling that the points weren't the only thing that had gotten toasty in there. Eventually I will HEI swap it to save myself the pain of having to go in and adjust points later on. Cause my back has not been a great friend. Though first I need to locate a multimeter so I can work on probing around more. I thought about straight up replacing the wire to be safe and I still might. Though on the points I can get a nice blue color spark. Unless that clamp has been moved, It was running nicely when I got it and it was good on timing as far as I can tell.

3 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

One other thing..Make sure that the distributor hold down clamp is tight and the contact surfaces are good and clean.... As the hold down clamp provides the main ground (earth) between the engine block and the body of the distributor itself..

very good point Two lane !!! :cheers:

do these dissy have a earth strap between the turn table where the points are and the dissy housing ???

3 hours ago, Maxwell said:

The coil is healthy and within spec. and for comparison, tested the mopar coil which should read the same, and the old coil which is still surprisingly good. I need to get that wire, but first I need to find a multimeter. I have a feeling that the points weren't the only thing that had gotten toasty in there. Eventually I will HEI swap it to save myself the pain of having to go in and adjust points later on. Cause my back has not been a great friend. Though first I need to locate a multimeter so I can work on probing around more. I thought about straight up replacing the wire to be safe and I still might. Though on the points I can get a nice blue color spark. Unless that clamp has been moved, It was running nicely when I got it and it was good on timing as far as I can tell.

one thing at a time mate:cheers: dont be to concerned with future upgrades, justa loan a multi tester, learn how to set it and read it then do the basic tests, you will get there. and if you have spare coin... buy a cheap multi tester ! you will never regret owning it mate ! 

You have the talent to want to play with cars, every tool you buy will make life soooo much easier for you!! Trust me:dancingpontiac: 

and you will learn as you go along and it will save you shit loads of money!!!👍

• Like 2

I have $11. The reason I wanna go to HEI is because it'll make life easier on myself, points and condenser is outdated and that would make my life easier. Once I can afford it, it'll be swapped. Gonna try making a new wire tomorrow and that should rule it out.

13 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

I have $11. The reason I wanna go to HEI is because it'll make life easier on myself, points and condenser is outdated and that would make my life easier. Once I can afford it, it'll be swapped. Gonna try making a new wire tomorrow and that should rule it out.

here ya go less than $11

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=multimeter+tester&rh=n%3A228013%2Cp_36%3A1253528011&dc&crid=7XZKAOVBX01Q&qid=1638850603&rnid=1243644011&sprefix=mult%2Caps%2C382&ref=sr_nr_p_36_1

a man can never have enough tools :cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

Yes..There is a ground strap between them...

16389017526791594601630825031859.jpg

16389018065226354606828665660215.jpg

16389018548465400509052452491292.jpg

14 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

very good point Two lane !!! :cheers:

do these dissy have a earth strap between the turn table where the points are and the dissy housing ???

16389025819356697060222269769752.jpg

16389026513463261846078285512969.jpg

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ah good picture for Gaetan to check the lay out in his dissy👍

2 hours ago, Maxwell said:

i have 11 physical cash

after thinking about what you have said Gaetan, you need to go back in our posts and read the spark plugs again !

crank that motor over, pull a spark plug. what do you see ?????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Fun time is over...Have to go back to work now...☹

Ya'll have a good day....

yeah me too mate! its 10 to 8 in the morning here, another day of fixin plumbing humoring customers, chasing materials that i am waiting on for customers!!

• Haha 2

I'd have to get a bunch of tools out, but the plugs shouldn't be black or anything, maybe a little fouled as I know my carburetor is in need of a refresh as it's seeping a little bit. But yeah, I'm starting to wonder if that ground strap fried itself and I didn't notice it. Might go look right now, and if I can get a plug out, Will take a pic and upload it here

• Like 2