Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

SCSRPM85's 1969 Firebird

2021 November
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

I am in need of a few things

Have you checked the fuel line for a filter?   Where the fuel line attaches to the carb is usually a small filter in the housing.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I did, that filter looks good, the weird thing is it has fuel in the carb, like I can use the accelerator pump, and it's strong, but for some reason it's sputtering, and when it was trying to light off it was a rich colored exhaust smoke. at first it looked like oil but the smell, was all gas, like it wasn't oil at all, I'm gonna try leaning the mixture screws a little bit, but I feel like it may need a rebuild.

also question, any of you guys have a discord or anything that is more direct, I have a discord, that way I can get more direct messages as things happen. I don't have my login saved on my phone and trying to use the forums on my phone can be annoying

ok guys. serious problem. battery is flat, tried to use the trickle charger but the needle pegged passed 6amps which seems odd. I think theres a battery drain or something. Something happened to the car overnight that changed it, it was fine yesterday had a full battery and cranked nicely, to being a flat battery. I wish I had some people close by that could help cause I am very frustrated, confused and in need of help and knowledge. Google isn't as good as a second head to talk to that can help diagnose problems

I did try adjusting the points a little bit it did nothing

I mean I have a feeling it's spark as I had the bottle of gas from testing the fuel pump and squirt it and it still only sputtered

albeit a little more sputtering but I think I have an idea. I think the wire from the coil to the points may be dead or dying, it's the one that was connected to the melted points

• 2 weeks later...

it's inconsistent spark, having had someone come over something in the distributor or a ground in it isn't right as I had someone come over and we messed around and probed around. It has spark that varies in strenght. when it gets stronger it sputters then dies. I am thinking of swapping it to HEI to completely do away fiddly stuff and make it reliable.