Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I am in need of a few things

it's not terrible looking and if there's a way to show videos here, cranking it's trying a lot more to fire up. the distributor side of that ground tether looks good, can't see the other side, tightened anything I found that was only snug and minor improvement. I don't know what else to do as I don't have any connectors I can crimp on to replace that old wire from the coil to the points

IMG_20211207_141631758_HDR.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

so.. poking around, that ground tether is in place and tight, put a proper connector on the clip, and put some heat shrink over it to keep it from shorting out. it's really trying, it seems to get spark, get spark and sputter, sputter, then nothing. I also found this weird thing towards the firewall side of the distributor, I gently touched it and it came off

weird plastic dingus.jpg

so uhhh. Upon further looking I decided to go back to the video where it last ran nice and then died. and uhh. I found something that doesn't sound good but it is weird. my engine when cranking sounds even and healthy on compression. if I have to I can test my valvetrain but uhh. This doesn't sound great

The plastic piece from the distributor is the Cam lubricator assembly...(part 2A) It is a wick that contains a lubricant that Oils  the cam in the distributor that the Breaker Points ride against....

16389215872137728219623714316184.jpg

16389218288244546682139899417550.jpg

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

then someone was in there before me as it didn't have a wick in it. and now it's dead

Has been awhile since I've replaced points...But If I remember correctly there is a packet of lube that comes with the new points...That you smear on the lobe between and the surface where the points contact the cam lobe...and takes the place of the wick...

Still suspect Carburetor/ Fuel issue...

TLBT..

• Like 1

I mean, it doesn't changed if I pump the hell out of it. As the accelerator pump does work. 

image.png.4be5324c6c655b8d9b3c4bcc79ed4b3d.pngGaetan that plug is dry, it is a fuel issue, wedge open the choke butterfly,     trigger the throttle and watch for a squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump.. is it squirting fuel down the primary throats????? bet you it isnt or you would have a wet plug.

4 hours ago, Maxwell said:

I mean, it doesn't changed if I pump the hell out of it. As the accelerator pump does work. 

if you pumped the shit out of the gas pedal while cranking you would fill the bore with fuel and it would show on the plug you pulled..... its not !!! so its fuel. you need to check that you have fuel at the carb... do you ???

if your carb is a carter it will have a filter  inside the inlet connection on the carb justA like holley does, is it clean???

Any other filters in the fuel line from the gas tank ??? ten bucks says your car having sat for so long will have shit in the tank mate.

clean/ replace any filter you find, clean that fuel tank out so you know from the start that your fuel pump is picking up clean gas.

Geatan, pull all the plugs stick them in a piece of cardboard, number which pot they came out of and post a picture so we can see whats going on ., even a old plug will/can work ok but best you read your plugs, and we can tell you alot about whats going on by seeing all 8 plugs , clearly you are working on a zero budget, and while i am happy to help you. you need to keep to the basics first.

and stick to what we are asking you.... if you go off on a tangent we cant help 😜

this stuff is super basic mate and you will learn shit loads if you follow our direction... AND you will get your baby running sweet as :cheers: 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention there was soot on the plug. my overtired head had touched the end of the plug. I'll go pull another one then get a pic without touching it. Not pulling them all atm as it's cold and the passenger side is a pain with the AC bracket and all the stuff for ac in the way. People on the facebook group have said that the carb weeping could be an issue with fueling. if that's the case then why did it die randomly when running fantastically?

IMG_20211208_111420492.jpg

IMG_20211208_111311092.jpg

IMG_20211208_111309299.jpg

Should I crank it and get a fuel pump test video? see the condition of the fluids coming out?

fuel is clear, any water in that is residual from the bottle as I didn't want to anger my father going in and out as it's cold out. But the gas is clean, no particles, no nastiness. Battery needs a good charge 

IMG_20211208_122931405.jpg

Does the the car Have a Quadrajet Carburetor...??

A quick easy way to insure a clean fuel supply..Would be to get a gallon of fresh gas in a clean regular gas can...Then Unhook the Main gas line from the tank...At the inlet side of the fuel pump...Run a piece of clean rubber gas hose from the inlet side of the pump right into the gas can...That will isolate the fuel system from any crap/blockages that may be in the lines or the gas tank..If the car has Q-jet carb..There is a filter at the gas inlet at the carb...Make sure it is clean Or temporarily remove it..Try to start the car and see what happens...Then we will go from there...

Just dumping gas down the carb like that is counter productive...If the fuel bowl in the carb is empty..Due to lack of gas coming from the fuel pump...you can dump all the gas in the world down the carb and it still won't run right or for any length of time...

• Like 2

it has a rochester 2 jet. And the gas coming into the tank is nice, clean and not that old, it's maybe 5 weeks old and not that yellow. Unless it's not gas that's coming out but it is clean. and the residual water in the bottle settled to the bottom. So It's definitely a carburetor issue, and maybe some electrical but it's just weird for it to run then fail while idling

16 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

it has a rochester 2 jet. And the gas coming into the tank is nice, clean and not that old, it's maybe 5 weeks old and not that yellow. Unless it's not gas that's coming out but it is clean. and the residual water in the bottle settled to the bottom. So It's definitely a carburetor issue, and maybe some electrical but it's just weird for it to run then fail while idling

Are you 100% positively without a doubt sure that there is no water or some other contaminants in the gas tank...??

Would highly suggest that you isolate tank like I explained earlier...Then go from there...

• Like 1

I can garuntee that there is no water in the tank. I've pumped gas out the line with an empty dry bottle, nothing seperates. And I can't really keep cranking on the car without a charged battery

Clogged fuel filter at the carb? Fuel pump diaphragm shot? Those are possible reasons that gas isn't getting into the carb.

Two Lane's suggestion to isolate the fuel lines and gas tank is still valid. That will eliminate blockage and/or water/trash contamination in the gas lines and the tank up to the engine.

Once we know we have a reliable, clean fresh source of fuel connected to the fuel pump only one of three things can prevent it getting into the carb. The carb itself may still have issues but if we see gas squirting then we can work from there.

1. The fuel pump isn't pumping fuel (diaphragm failure most likely) and needs to be replaced.

2. The hard line between the fuel pump and carb is clogged (you could disconnect,  clean out/verify it's clear, and reconnect it)

3. Fuel filter in the carb is clogged and needs to be replaced

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have taken carb cleaner to the little filter last time it was opened. I can get it with a jumper and see if there's any contaminates

Depending on the filter media itself, sometimes it is better to replace than to try to clean it out. Fuel filters for these cars are relatively cheap replacement parts.

Some fuel filters were made of a brass-like material. They are almost impossible to clean out thoroughly, better to replace it with a new one. Paper elements you can have better luck cleaning out.

Regardless of the media type, if you still can't blow through it, replace it.

• Like 2