Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Keane165's 1970 LeMans

2022 June
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

I am in need of a few things

2 hours ago, Maxwell said:

I know. It's just remembering to always check simple things then jump to conclusions. 

Well then to just to conclusions 

Welcome to the club.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I'm now just playing a waiting game. Gonna see about using all the change I have to get a little more fuel. Keep her from running dry and sitting again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. Anyone know where I could get an rpm insert for where my clock is. I have a custom radio for the clock and am more interested in seeing the RPM. 

I don't think Pontiac made an in-dash tach option for the Bonneville/Catalina/Grandville platform for 73 and up.

I would probably buy a reproduction Sun tach and mount it to the steering column in a position over the clock.

I have a few ideas. Looking at it the clock can come out as a separate part. I am wondering if I can just insert a 2.5in tach into it and wire it up. Cause I really hate how tacky a column mounted rpm gauge looks. 

This would require removing the entire cluster from the dash (it's a lot of work). The clock can be removed but then you will have to cut/fab the mounting of your 2.5" tach to fit in the same location the air core clock use to fit in, run the electrical to, etc. It also means you will probably never be able to re-install the old clock when you go to sell the car (assuming you care about these things).

I agree that the steering column mounted tach are "tacky" looking (no pun intended) but they are quick and easy. You could also mount the tach on top of the dash as well. Again, not "factory" looking but functional.

Or you could install a hood tach.....

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

The clock doesn't work and I don't think it's that bad of a process. It's something I may look into 

• Like 1

Ok. So I'm having to do ghetto methods because I can't patch it properly. I'm using the little bit of steel stick jb weld for some holes cause I have had some success. What y'all think I should use cause I really can't get the window out myself and have no money or way to afford a shop. And I don't know anyone willing to come help me yank a window and do proper bodywork. 

IMG_20220623_171351331.jpg

IMG_20220623_155316817_HDR.jpg

I hate doing this to a classic car but I have no money or materials to fix it properly right now. And I doubt anyone on the forums would go "let me come help so it's done properly." And I'm not asking anyone to. Everything has been slow. Can't get the exhaust done, got to deal with holes and repairs. I've not had anyone donate to the GoFundMe for the car other than my one friend that did. 

I'm being given some funds to fix the entire exhaust issue. Anyone know where I could get some headers, decent ish mufflers that have a good sound but aren't droning. And something to clear the axle

I'm  looking for noise like that. Not quiet but not racecar level loud. 

I like both but can't have both without making it complicated. 

Question. From factory would I have round port or d port heads? Am looking at headers.

IMG_20220624_113120485.jpg

IMG_20220624_113101723.jpg

IMG_20220624_112912964.jpg

IMG_20220624_112812895.jpg

IMG_20220624_112758250.jpg

Can someone decipher these?

IMG_20220624_122423740.jpg

IMG_20220624_122332986_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20220624_122325215.jpg

Max, you have 4X heads....you can Google image the intake and exhaust ports yourself with that information.

image.png.0c546b80fac4d719a9aa5fbd36482cc3.png

Another thought I had was reaching out to your local high school or community college auto tech programs to see if they would be willing to do the repair work for you (and other work)? I am not sure how each institution does things like this, if you have to pay for materials or not. Still perhaps letting "students" do the work could be a cheaper alternative. Of course this means they have to have the car for a period of time as well.

As for headers, I think you may be a tad out of luck. A lot of the header manufacturers have discontinued header production for the full size cars. A-body and F-body demand is about all they produce these days for Pontiacs, sad to say. That said, the Ram Air Restoration reproduction exhaust manifolds are the closest thing to a factory header and flow very well. I have a set on Lucy. They are better than any log style manifold you may have. These are expensive as a good set of headers, so budget accordingly.

As for mufflers you really have your choice. I have a Pypes system on Lucy. Walker Exhaust has stock and a performance line of muffler systems. Some guys like Dynaflow, Borla, Magnaflow, etc. It is what sound you like and what you can afford. Personally, I like near stock quiet since I like to be able to hear the radio over the exhaust.

• Like 1

Could you send a link for the exhaust manifolds? I'll look into those. Also would these fit at all? https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30065/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAjwwdWVBhA4EiwAjcYJEAyYn7iUC2M0xraNVACd05oyr31UbykfGU0zmCv9CPlT_rbhyQjAcxoCtIIQAvD_BwE

Or are they out of the question? Also mind sharing a clip of what Lucy sounds like 

After climbing in the dark as I just peeked here. I've got 4x 4h d port heads. Not sure what exhaust options I've got. May just throw the factory one on just for now just to have it back on the ground. 

IMG_20220624_231532478.jpg

Factory exhaust that is. 

You might be able to use/ get "Shorty" style headers for a Pontiac engine...As long as where they Dump out..Is close to the same area as the stock/factory exhaust manifolds dump location...They wouldn't have near the inherent fitment/clearance issues as long tube headers would...And with little modification...You could run the head pipes probably really close to the factory location...No real power gain... But would sound good with what ever mufflers you decide too use... 

One other thing...Would also highly suggest that you don't go overboard with the exhaust pipe diameter....Too large an exhaust pipe/Header tube diameter can/will Kill the low end torque Output...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1

I'm after a 2.5 in preferred exhaust diameter. Max 3 but the mufflers I have liked are 2.5in. also what would you recommend for a set of shorty headers. If there's no long tubes that'd fit