Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I <3 Anti-Rice.com

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that too.

There's a Cobalt SS by my job, with a stickerbombed hood, and it looks so bloody terrible. Honestly, it's something I'd expect some 15-16 year old kid to do to the underside of their skateboard, and now these lame, tasteless, goofy ass fads are spreading on cars. Ugh...I hate my generation, and the new generation of kids following are even worse.

its just not only that but even with music. lil wayne sux balls and all of his buddies like drake.. etc.

im sorry but i am almost about to give up on the tuner scene bcuz they look for STUPID retarded crap instead of the nice clean stuff. oh well.

I've had it with the car show scene as well. My car is seriously under appreciated at more import directed, while the domestic shows, my car is overshadowed since I don't have a V8.

thats why im trying to finish my car right, cause theres someany tastless cars out they buy these retards that slap anything they can on there car and think it looks good.

In all honesty, nearly any car on the road will be 'rice' or 'tacky', or just ugly to someone. Everyone's tastes and preferences are different, so not everyone will ever agree on a single car being the best or single modification being tasteful or otherwise.

Yes, our cars too. You should have seen the fuss I raised by installing,...wait for it...a black rear valence on my GP instead of a body colour piece. You'd think I'd painted it neon pink with racing stripes by the amount of people who thought it was horribly wrong and not acceptable.

It was even worse when I picked up a roof rack and bike rack to use (Ironically I never got the chance to), that was like the end of the world for members on another forum I belong to for my car. They couldn't seem to wrap their heads around the idea of needing a rack for cargo. Did not compute.

Stickerbombing, decals in general, and any other change we can make to our cars will please some and upset others, it's a fact. Personally I don't see what the hubbub is about, it's their cars, their money, their time, and their tastes, so if they like it who am I to judge?

And as a final bit about tire stretching, obviously the example in the photo above is clearly a case of 'beyond-the-point-of-being-safe', that's a no-brainer. However, I will say it again; Friends of mine run mild stretches (And mild camber-no, they do not drive on their sidewalls, their tires are fully planted on the road) all while daily driving their cars AND driving them hard at the track, with no issues after years of doing so. Obviously, the more extreme the stretch the less that will be true, but it's entirely possible to have a mild stretch and have it hold up to such use. There is no denying though that as more stretch is added and more camber dialed in, that's when major problems will start to pop up, but milder setups have proven themselves to be fine for driving on. It's all about matching the setup to the car's use. If it's a show car that is never driven on public roads, go as wild as you want. The more the car is driven, the more it should be dialed back, but it doesn't have to be eliminated all together.

Personally, this is what I'm using as reference for what I hope to have-this is about as far as I'd go with my GP and the wheels I plan to get.

DSC_0207.png

' date='Oct 5 2010, 12:27 PM' post='37966']

My car is seriously under appreciated at more import directed, while the domestic shows, my car is overshadowed since I don't have a V8.

Ditto! :lol2:

ehh the tech in me can not get past the unsafeness event hough that amount does look good and if it was a show car no problem but for a DD ehhh i could never say go for it

i have to agree. unfortunately, my opinions, judgments and facts will always stay as i have quoted. they won't change on how i feel about retarded stuff that is beyond the normality. I am all for different as well but sticker bombing... might as well do it to your whole car then. whats the point of a paint job. tire stretching... might as well rip off your fenders and slam the sucker. lol.

i just like clean cars. just my opinion. :dancingpontiac:

' date='Oct 5 2010, 09:27 AM' post='37966']

I've had it with the car show scene as well. My car is seriously under appreciated at more import directed, while the domestic shows, my car is overshadowed since I don't have a V8.

LSx swap!

LSx swap!

a grand am would rip a part from the awsome that is the LSx. it can not contain it

too lazy to register but the guy saying he has worked on stretching tires since 01 blah blah....he said camber has no effect on tire wear....i nearly hurled my laptop across the room at the sheer retardation at that comment....are u serious guy.....are you serious....camber doesn't effect tire wear? Ask Darlene from G6P if this is true. fall off a cliff into hell.

too lazy to register but the guy saying he has worked on stretching tires since 01 blah blah....he said camber has no effect on tire wear....i nearly hurled my laptop across the room at the sheer retardation at that comment....are u serious guy.....are you serious....camber doesn't effect tire wear? Ask Darlene from G6P if this is true. fall off a cliff into hell.

There's no talking sense into them.

Unless it's a race-use car, negitive camber is USELESS on a street car.

The rear end on my van has a camber issue. You can't tell me it doesn't effect the tire wear. The outside of my tires look practically brand new, the insides on the other hand, they're almost worn flat again. There's a problem. The only thing I don't understand is that you can't see the camber issue like you can on the ricers, it looks straight. We've discussed it and figured maybe it's just that I need to SLOW DOWN on corners, but still, pulling around the corners the way I do shouldn't effect my tires like that. POS or NEG camber = excessive tire wear. I'm a dumbass and I knew that, haha..

• 1 month later...

The rear end on my van has a camber issue. You can't tell me it doesn't effect the tire wear. The outside of my tires look practically brand new, the insides on the other hand, they're almost worn flat again. There's a problem. The only thing I don't understand is that you can't see the camber issue like you can on the ricers, it looks straight. We've discussed it and figured maybe it's just that I need to SLOW DOWN on corners, but still, pulling around the corners the way I do shouldn't effect my tires like that. POS or NEG camber = excessive tire wear. I'm a dumbass and I knew that, haha..

You can have camber without seeing it, just a few degrees is unnoticeable but enough to eat away your tires...

• 3 weeks later...

And so what if they say Form>Function? It's a saying they coined and it works. Not everyone is a diehard 'function' fan; to some, it's a fair trade-off to lose a little suspension travel or handling in order to get their car sitting how they like. I could see it being an issue on track cars, but for cars that don't have to be driven hard or daily, I see no harm.

Alright, I'm going to guess this comment is directed toward me (I know I'm a few months behind, but oh well). The issue here is, these people are purposelessly making their cars unsafe to make them look 'cool'... for me, this is not a how it makes the car look issue, it's a safety issue. And what do you know about what tires can handle? Where is your engineering degree? Where is your scientific proof that it is safe to do this? How do you know how these people drive their car? You think that just because they aren't on the track that they won't drive like they're on the track, I doubt that. Are you willing to gamble on people's lives that it's safe to stretch tires beyond what they are suppose to? I'm not, for the safety of me, my passengers and everyone else on the road, this 'trend' needs to stop. :)

And as to the form>function, do you suggest that completely remove headlights and taillights because it make the car look more stealth? How far are you willing to stray away from what is safe to make a car look "cool"?

stretchgonebad.jpg

• Founders

Definitely agree! All my mods, yes even my tinted tails, I take into affect other drivers and if they will be safe. I wouldn't of bought the tails I did if I knew they didn't put out the required output of light yet they still are darker than those who don't. I don't want to put this against stretching tires because frankly you might get lucky and never have an issue or you might have a BIG issue but honestly why not be on the safe side and never even tempt an issue with these tires...

[/end rant and balderdash]

Alright, I'm going to guess this comment is directed toward me

To be honest it wasn't directly aimed at anyone, sorry if it came across as that.

What I'm saying it that putting form over function isn't always bad or rice. Some people prefer aesthetics to performance (Look at my GP, currently its engine is stock, and most of my effort has gone to the exterior). Now I DO AGREE that there are people who take it too far, there'll be cases of that in any scenario, but I'm trying to say that in this instance, stretch can mean anything from extreme-to-the-point-of-being-unsafe to extremely mild, almost non-existent amounts. There are variations.

In the case of tires and suspension, examples include going a little lower, and giving up some travel if you really want the car to sit near the ground. If it's okay for the owner to have a little more trouble with steep ramps or big speedbumps, so be it.

If they want their wheels to be a few millimeters closer to the fenders to achieve what they consider the perfect stance, but it costs them the ability to take very hard bumps, I don't see the issue if they can live with that compromise. Why lower a car at all then unless the new suspension is top-of-the line? Many do it for aesthetics, but that can mean not being able to access parkades or steep driveways (I myself will probably have to pull into my driveway at an angle when my coilovers are in, but I'm fine with that. Losing the 4x4 height is more important to me).

Now I will say this, I agree that individuals who are going extreme with their stretches and camber (To the point of riding on a fraction of the sidewall) are pushing it. However, I love the look of a properly stanced car, with a bit of negative camber if needed.

Example of a mild stretch and (in my eyes) good stance.

35865_10150207698600455_504990454_13346820_536224_n.jpg

This however, is too far.

oni_camber_08.jpg

It can be taken to the extreme where it's a ticking time bomb and a tire is waiting to fail, but not every stretch is going to kill someone, nor is any car with a compromise of some function for a little form a ricer.

I will say this...don't ever bother trying to talk sense to the hardcore "stance" guys. Common sense will get the 'ol "hater" label taken out and such.

Got into a rather heated debate over an owner with a Jaguar X-type. He wanted to be "stanced" all year round, he normally had 19x9.5 wheels with a 225/35 tire, and he was so slow, his sidewalls still rubbed, and his chassis scraped everywhere (he kept getting posts saying how "legit" that made him...yeaaaah. :rofl: ) so when he makes a topic for his snow setup, he was using an 18x9 and an 18x9.5 in the rear with a 225/40 stretched snow tire...a SNOW tire...I'm pretty sure he defeated the absolute purpose of having snow tires in the first place. (He even wondered why he couldn't get traction too, thought it was funny) of course, when I tried stepping in...that was interesting.

"Well no shit you can't get traction, you're supposed to run a narrow tire and wheel for snow, so the tire will slice through, getting traction. With what you got, you're a danger to yourself and other drivers on the road. Is your "stance" that important to throw some basic common sense out the window?"

The usual cries of "hater" and every other assorted type of flaming ensued. I never posted again there, but my point is this, a lot of these "stance" guys are getting more and more extreme, and are oblivious to the dangers of improper wheel fitment to make their car sit as extremely low as possible.