Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I <3 Anti-Rice.com

• Founders

To the statement "Form over Function", I think that should be the biggest garbage statement ever. I see Function as not just souping up your engine and turbo turbo turbo. I see it as whatever you're doing it doesn't distract you from the overall goal of a car, that is to get somewhere efficiently and overall use of your car. I'll reference something out of the car world for this:

Being a web designer if I made the most beautiful website ever BUT you guys couldn't use it, would you want to visit it? Nope never. Another thing, this is why I hate Apple so much is they throw a LOT of computing power out the window so their computers and programs can "Look good". If it isn't functional, my theory is why do it? I could lecture for years about this since one of my new topics at work is UX (User Experience) which is a big thing now-a-days and seeing what works best but I think you guys get the picture.

Function always precedes Form, if a house looks good but is in Florida and doesn't take rain or winds well, well there's no use of building it :lol2:

Overall I think my stance on this is pretty much exhausted but I think Function is the number 1 thing you should always strive for even if you're doing appearance mods. IE does my huge spoiler actually cause more physics problems for my car than it would without it. Trying not to just poke at stretched tires...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then don't hate me when my coilovers are in, because I'll have to pull into my (rather steep) driveway at an angle. To me though, that's an acceptable compromise. And seeing as how no one else drives my car, I'm the only one who has to accept that slight limitation.

I think the main issue here is that everyone's trying to go a step further than the last guy. I remember when 'stancing' a car meant something along the lines of fitment and stretch like that white 3-series I posted above. But now, so many people are trying to go more extreme than the others, that it's quickly elevated to the ridiculous in many cases. I don't see the desire for a good stance going away, but I do predict an eventual shift away from the crazy set-ups we're seeing.

• Founders

Well then don't hate me when my coilovers are in, because I'll have to pull into my (rather steep) driveway at an angle. To me though, that's an acceptable compromise. And seeing as how no one else drives my car, I'm the only one who has to accept that slight limitation.

I think the main issue here is that everyone's trying to go a step further than the last guy. I remember when 'stancing' a car meant something along the lines of fitment and stretch like that white 3-series I posted above. But now, so many people are trying to go more extreme than the others, that it's quickly elevated to the ridiculous in many cases. I don't see the desire for a good stance going away, but I do predict an eventual shift away from the crazy set-ups we're seeing.

Lowering a car isn't necessarily going against it, if you're driveway is the only issue you'll run into then yes you're functionality is still good and you added a bit of performance with less air lift, etc... Why I'll never do it is because at my work, school and everywhere in Florida we have these ditches that would just eat up my car if it was lowered. Hell at work I have to go slow and at an angle at stock height so I don't bottom out. Somethings are just not avoidable but you should always strive for functionality or close to functionality.

It also has a way with how you go about modding your car, if you do stupid stuff like stretching your tires or cutting your springs, etc... or have half ass mods then you're putting not only yourself at risk but everyone on the roads at risk which is stupid. Modding should be about safety, you're driving a 3,000 lb (+ or - ) killing machine and you should be responsible with it, end of story.

It also has a way with how you go about modding your car, if you do stupid stuff like stretching your tires or cutting your springs, etc... or have half ass mods then you're putting not only yourself at risk but everyone on the roads at risk which is stupid. Modding should be about safety, you're driving a 3,000 lb (+ or - ) killing machine and you should be responsible with it, end of story.

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more.

On a similar note, I do the modifications to my car because yes, I think it looks better, but it also increases functionality when I (eventually) do things like autocrossing. In turn it also makes it safer. My car used to be a lot lower, lower than the struts were rated for, which produced bottoming out and other generally unsafe things. I'm much happier with both how my car rides and how it looks due to raising her back up a little. That is how I feel a car should be modified. I can't imagine people with stretched tires feel very safe.

Amen.

Most of what I am doing is for looks more than anything. Some people will call me a ricer, but I will still be happy with my car. If I wanted a fast car I would have bought one.

I wish I hadn't come into this thread.

Not because of the tC, but because of your attitudes toward it and similar cars.

Okay, he has decals. Big deal. I have some too, to represent individuals or groups who have helped me, or that I am a part of. The sticker bombed lip is just another way he's expressing himself through his car, and that's the entire point of modifying and personalizing cars anyway. Even if you don't like it, it's subjective. There is no way to prove that it's wrong or ugly because it all depends on individual tastes.

And hellaflush continues to be a huge debate between those who love it and those who hate it. There are varying degrees of it, from mild to extremely aggressive figments, and everyone has their own preference for where in the spectrum they think is the sweet spot. Extreme offsets and camber are not for everyone, but there is no denying that the proper stance can make or break a car.

Couldn't agree more.