Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Trust me, I'd rather spend time with more mechanical things like the LeMans or even my automotive airbrushing than with fussy electronic dohickeys. It is just what I do for a living.

I am just old enough to have lived through this technology. A buddy of mine was building Sinclairs and bread board circuits since the early 70s. I can still read Hollerith and IBM punch cards. I am just not old enough to remember Univacs.

I also got to meet the legendary Rear Admiral Grace Hopper while I was still in college. She developed the COBOL programming language back in the 50s and 60s. It is still in use on mainframes today. She told the story of how the term "debugging" came about.

Back in the day, computers like Univac were the size of gymnasuims and relied heavily on electro-mechanical relays. One day, the system completely stopped. It took several hours to find the problem but it turned out that a moth had been trapped in one of the relays. They removed the charred moth and cleaned the contacts, and the system started up again. When her boss asked how she fixed the system, she simply said "I debugged it!"

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

I also got to meet the legendary Rear Admiral Grace Hopper while I was still in college. She developed the COBOL programming language back in the 50s and 60s. It is still in use on mainframes today. She told the story of how the term "debugging" came about.

Back in the day, computers like Univac were the size of gymnasuims and relied heavily on electro-mechanical relays. One day, the system completely stopped. It took several hours to find the problem but it turned out that a moth had been trapped in one of the relays. They removed the charred moth and cleaned the contacts, and the system started up again. When her boss asked how she fixed the system, she simply said "I debugged it!"

Oh boy COBOL, that brings me back. Yup, why they started closing windows in server rooms :cheers:

The company I work for, ASG, just had their 25th anniversary last week and I was able to find the very first program written. Thing was on a tape reel and cost over $20,000 :o I forget what it was written in, probably Fortran :lol:

' date='Nov 16 2011, 12:23 AM' post='61943']

You know...for as much time I'm on the internet, you'd think I know computer coding at least...but NOPE. :lol:

I assume you know some basic BBCode for images on forums? Now that doesn't really count as a language, it's more like a psuedo-language but still there something :lol:

basic HTML and CSS are easy though I'm surprised you haven't picked that up.

Coding sucks. I spent two hours coding a program in 3 different languages and my teacher failed me because I did it at home and she didn't believe my work was genuine. I hate that bitch.

Don't get turned off by the time, good code is never done in a flash (or in Flash... I made a joke :D ). I spend hours upon hours doing programming projects for work.

Your teacher has a point though, I hate these Indian kids (not being racists it's who I find does it the most) that under-charge me for freelance (even full-time) jobs then don't do custom code, they paste snippetts created by other people together and it never functions well and then I get hired on to to clean it up :D Half the time their code is so much garbage I have to throw it out

Basic coding I do know, but it does help that one of my g/f's friends is a programmer, and shares the same Internet humor as me. ;) also, let's say...I discovered the "Deep Internet" last week...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...