Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Newbie………53 Pontiac Chieftain 8 cylinder & 3 on the tree

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Welcome AL.  We do like pic's around here, inside and outside of your car.  Pic's of whatever you might be working on (engine, drivetrain parts ect.)  I wouldn't try to fire the car again without some steps in place 1st.  Entire fuel system, tank needs to be drained/cleaned. Fuel hardlines can be cleaned and reused. ANYTHING rubber, (needs to be replaced with modern hoses that will withstand todays corrosive fuels/fluids ect) from top to bottom of the entire car.  All needs to be replaced. New rubber fuel lines and carb cleaning.  Rubber lines for brakes, tires, vacume lines, coolant hoses and make sure radiator isn't plugged.  Clean replace fluid.  Change the oil and make sure there is no water mixed in.  A LIL prevention is worth a ton of $$$, time and headache's.  Take your time, it's waited this long to get back on the road.  Good Luck. will be waiting for update pic's on your project and we are here to help if you get stuck on something!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! Every bit of what JustA said. If you’re not sure ask. If it doesn’t sound right to you ask again! And pictures are, you know, worth a 1000 words.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Welcome Al, do you have any pictures? What's been done to your Chieftain?

100 percent Factory

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Stephen Young said:

Hi, Al,  I've had a 53 Catalina since the summer of 1975, so maybe I can answer some questions if they come up. The real expert on the 53s is Charles Coker, POCI's 53 Pontiac  source of knowledge. He's had his 53 longer than I've had mine. Pontiac's Shop Manual, covering 1949 to 1954 models, provides great information. I got one, and an owner's manual, through Rock Auto. Rock lists some parts. (Not "All the parts your car will ever need", as they claim, but some.) Pontiac's flathead straight 8s were nice, smooth engines, and the 53 models are handsome ol' thangs. Enjoy!

What is the difference between the Chieftain & the Catalina?  Interchangeable parts?  How do I talk with Charles Coker?

The Catalina was the top of the line option for the Chieftain line for Pontiac. Think of the Bel Air in Chevy speak. They are essentially the same car with different trim and/or options and appointments.

Charles' email is: [email protected]

• Like 1

For the first few years of the pillarless hardtop, Catalina was Pontiac-speak for their two door hardtops, of which there were two in '53 - The Catalina DeLuxe Chieftain (mine) and the higher trim Custom Catalina, which Charles has. I don't think they put the word Catalina on the cars. Or Chieftain, for that matter, except on the optional radio. There was a lower trim body, with no stainless trim on the sides, which I think was called Pathfinder. I had one as a parts car, and it had a 239 flathead 6.

Edited by Stephen Young
grammar and clarity
  • Like 2

Mine actually has Chieftain on the car.  It has the rear wheel skirts.  It has the Indian Chief on the front center of the hood.  I promise when I can I will post pics.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

The Catalina was the top of the line option for the Chieftain line for Pontiac. Think of the Bel Air in Chevy speak. They are essentially the same car with different trim and/or options and appointments.

Charles' email is: [email protected]

Is that being racist?  The Chieftain playing second to the Catalina?

3 minutes ago, Alweeja said:

Mine actually has Chieftain on the car.  It has the rear wheel skirts.  It has the Indian Chief on the front center of the hood.  I promise when I can I will post pics.

Is that being racist?  The Chieftain playing second fiddle to the Catalina?

I hope not. I think Catalina, in the fashion of the '50s, was alluding to the island off California, as Bel Air, Biscayne and (later) Malibu referred to special places. The Catalina DeLuxe Chieftain includes both, without either label on the car. Charles will know if the Custom Catalina is labeled as such. Where is the Chieftain nameplate on yours? Is it a four door sedan? (I really like the looks of those.) I think naming a car and model of it after a person and his occupation are meant as honors, but I guess some have taken offense. 

8 hours ago, Stephen Young said:

Hi, Al,  I've had a 53 Catalina since the summer of 1975, so maybe I can answer some questions if they come up. The real expert on the 53s is Charles Coker, POCI's 53 Pontiac  source of knowledge. He's had his 53 longer than I've had mine. Pontiac's Shop Manual, covering 1949 to 1954 models, provides great information. I got one, and an owner's manual, through Rock Auto. Rock lists some parts. (Not "All the parts your car will ever need", as they claim, but some.) Pontiac's flathead straight 8s were nice, smooth engines, and the 53 models are handsome ol' thangs. Enjoy!

What is the difference between the Chieftain & the Catalina?  Interchangeable parts?  How do I talk with Charles Coker?

Mine is a 4 door sedan with the half hidden tires on the rear.  My car is really like new with 30 to 35 k miles.  The original  paint (aqua color) is still there,  no rust at all but the original paint has faded over the years.  When I take photos all this will be obvious.

It sure is a blessing to talk with the Pontiac Pro's.   I am going to turn this Chieftain back in time.

25 minutes ago, Stephen Young said:

I hope not. I think Catalina, in the fashion of the '50s, was alluding to the island off California, as Bel Air, Biscayne and (later) Malibu referred to special places. The Catalina DeLuxe Chieftain includes both, without either label on the car. Charles will know if the Custom Catalina is labeled as such. Where is the Chieftain nameplate on yours? Is it a four door sedan? (I really like the looks of those.) I think naming a car and model of it after a person and his occupation are meant as honors, but I guess some have taken offense. 

Taking offense is SO STUPID.  Using the name is simply showing Respect.