Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

trunk latch

I hate keys so installed a keyless entry push button start in my '63 Catalina. Now I am trying to make the trunk electric.  Dur to age and COVID I have avoided going over to pick a part and scouring wrecks to find an electric lock that I can adapt. Does anyone know of an electric lock that can be adapted? I have looked at the existing from every angle and do not see any way to convert it so I need a replacement.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

5 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

I hate keys so installed a keyless entry push button start in my '63 Catalina. Now I am trying to make the trunk electric.  Dur to age and COVID I have avoided going over to pick a part and scouring wrecks to find an electric lock that I can adapt. Does anyone know of an electric lock that can be adapted? I have looked at the existing from every angle and do not see any way to convert it so I need a replacement.

It would take some modifications and what that would require I can’t say. But the actuator on my 2000 Grand Prix would most likely work, if modified correctly. It attaches to the lock cylinder shaft that turns the lock latch. So in this way you can use either the key or electric lock switch! The number for that part is, 16640848. 

• Like 1

I used a GM, mid 80's non pull down latch with much fabrication to release my hood.  Added hydraulics to open N close from inside the car.  Pic's of your current setup would be helpful. Mid 80's GM also had a latch that grabbed on from the trunklid, then the lower part on the car pulled the trunklid down tight.  Should be plenty of setups in the junkyards.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Would love to see pics of the car & keyless entry set up

Not much to see on the keyless entry. It is all under the dash, only visible modification is that the original ign switch is gone and the start button has taken its place. 

I will try to post pictures if I can figure out how. I am old and not too computer literate. 

If you are interested in a description it is a 63 Catalina convertible with an L83 and 6L80 out of a 15 Silverado in it. I am presently working with a guy in Iowa who is doing a remote tune on it. He wants a full throttle blast to check out the full throttle specs again and he has added so much HP to the thing so far that a full throttle blast is scary to an old man like myself. I find that I have become much more cautious as I age, or maybe I have aged because I have become more cautious.

To the rest thanks for the info. I had not thought about one of the motor driven latches like the one that was on my 66 Eldorado. Will need to look into that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check on line and see what I can find. Probably the best place to look would be at pick a part but the virus is running so rampant in the L.A. area that I will need to wait for a while. My wife is diabetic and I don't dare run the risk of bringing the virus home.

• Like 1

I would agree with the pick-a-part. You might find someone parting one out on craigslist too. I see that a lot around here.

I maybe wrong on this, but the same years of Cadillac Fleetwoods might have had the same electronic trunk latch, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I am certain about the Roadmasters. I own my late father's '94 Limited Roadmaster.

Yes, but as stated pick a part is going to have to wait. I can't take a chance on the virus, LA is a real hot spot right now.

I like your tag lines. especially about stupidity, cats (aren't they both the same) and little men. Have experience with the latter.

• Haha 2

I'd love for you to write up the whole story of how you did the entire engine and tranny swap and all the challenges you faced and over came. Sounds like a fascinated story to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

I'd love for you to write up the whole story of how you did the entire engine and tranny swap and all the challenges you faced and over came. Sounds like a fascinated story to me.

yes please :cheers: i would be very interested in what is involved 

• Like 1

Is there someplace on this website that would be more appropriate for the story than as a post script on a thread about a trunk latch? I will be more than happy to go through everything unfortunately at the time of the install I did not take pictures, I was more interested in getting it in than recording it for posterity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

Is there someplace on this website that would be more appropriate for the story than as a post script on a thread about a trunk latch? I will be more than happy to go through everything unfortunately at the time of the install I did not take pictures, I was more interested in getting it in than recording it for posterity.

We have a HOW TO section in the forum.  Custom made for your story.:cheers:

• Like 2