Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Cool Pontiac stuff!

It’s a 1935 Pontiac Frosty, a model they did not offer for sale. According to the hood ornament it is a 6 cylinder. Don’t know how many were built, but it (or they) were probably built for factory use.  I don’t know if they borrowed the rear delivery section of the body from another division, but I think they it was custom built due to the fact that they apparently used the front suicide doors from the 4-door sedan that year.

I also have a picture of a row of 1935 Pontiac woodie delivery trucks that seem to be specially built for a local butcher I will post sometime soon.

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what Pontiac made taxi cabs but they were VIN 'd, badged, and sold as a GMC (GM Trucks) in 1930 and 1931 for the Yellow Taxi Cab Company. I suspect this to be something similar. I don't recall a '35 delivery wagon (doesn't mean they didn't make them either).

I'd love to see whatever photos you have of them.

• Like 1

Here’s the other picture I mentioned previously. Turns out my memory of it was wrong on 2 counts. First, they are 1936 Pontiacs , and second, they are steel bodies, not woodies.  I don’t know anymore about them.

Since the local Pontiac dealer was only a half a mile away, they may have been ordered as a running chassis with front sheet metal and sent to a specialty truck body builder of which there were several in our general area. I base my theory on the fact that the streamlined design of the ‘36 Pontiac front end clashes with the boxy look from the windshield back. 
    The previous picture of the 1935 delivery has a much more cohesive design, possibly styled by the same person or team front to rear.

I don’t have any other views or information about either pic.  Maybe someone out there does.

I know Pontiac dabbled in the delivery truck market off and on in the U S A and Canada from 1927 up to the late ‘50’s, but I don’t think either the  ‘35 or ‘36 examples I posted were ever produced by the factory for public consumption.

BDF5785C-AEA1-4C48-B9FC-91D9155B921F.jpeg

• Like 1

Pontiac did make 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton "trucks" from 1926 1/2 to 1928 in the US. A friend of mine even has an original Pontiac blueprint of one. A 1929 Australian Pontiac with a Holden Body is known to exist as well.  After that, Pontiac stopped building "trucks" as we know it. 

Now, GMC and Pontiac were on opposite sides of the city of Pontiac, so it was easy enough for GMC to have Pontiac build taxi cabs for GMC. So I could envision a reciprocal deal with truck / sedan delivery bodies made by GMC being sent to Pontiac. However, I have never seen a documented case of this....yet.

I think your idea of sending a Pontiac front-end and chassis off to a coach builder is a more likely scenario. Coach builders were still around in 1930s. Heck virtually every Duesenberg was coach built.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Very cool 31pontiac. I would have like to have gone to the most recent Gettysburg convention. Until COVID hit and I worked all year in 2020, I didn't have the vacation time to spare to go to the convention. This year I've been asked to go out on the Hot Rod Power Tour. I'm actually considering it.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...