Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

JAH11's 1968 GTO

2024 June
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

FWD ground pounder - Last Indian

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 1 month later...

Things still moving to damn slow. My girl would get better than regress than stalemate than do a little better. Hopefully she’ll get all the way back one of these days, soon, I hope!

The Indian, that’s a different story, hasn’t been any help either. Went to install the 1” rear sway bar; what a nightmare. Now most that know me would believe I know how to install a sway bar, & I do. Well son of a $#@&* I can’t get this thing in. And when I finally do it looks like I took an axe to the sway bar & the struts! With the suspension unsprung the bar is jammed against both strut tubes. If I jack up the rear wheel suspension arms I can barely get it in & that’s with pushing & beating with a rubber mallet. Than I have about 3/16 of an inch clearance between the bar & strut tube on each side! So now I can install the end links. But when I let the suspension down, major contact again! Now I know this is not right! So I call ZZPERFORMANCE where I bought the bar. Guy gives me all the usual garbage about all the bars come out of the same mold! I say what? The bars don’t come out of a mold they are mandrel bent on a machine, this is a solid bar by the way. Well, he says, maybe I don’t have the right camber! Seriously? So let’s see the sway bar now only allows a certain amount of camber? Yeah I don’t think so & on top of that I run zero camber on the rear wheels. So slight variations can & do occur & with the configuration of this particular bar because of all the complicated bends in the bar a ¼ of a degree in one of the curves can mean 3/8 of an inch in total length. End results ZZPERFORMANCE was worthless with this issue! 

So I continued to for another two weeks on & off trying to determine how I might solve the problem. I could try to tweak the bends, but that’s no small task for a solid 1” spring steel bar! And if I anneal it & than reharden it; that’s really tricky because it usually leads to early failure. But I really wanted the 1” bar for the rear because I know it will make a major improvement to the handling. The Grand Prix’s came with a hollow 20mm rear bar. I replaced it with a hollow 22mm bar, which made a big difference, but a 25.4mm ( 1” ) solid bar is a whole magnitude above that! So I finally decided to bite the bullet & order another bar hoping it would be right. It came at the end of the week. So I measured the new bar against the first bar that came. Well I don’t understand it, I must be stupid because the guy said they come out of a mold & they are all the same! But ear to ear measurements showed the bar to be almost an 1/8” narrower. And at the curvature of the bar where it goes around the strut tubes it is 5/16 of an inch narrower! So now in total I have about 3/8 of an inch clearance between the bar and the strut tube on each side!

59C3821A-F113-4C93-A556-A127C9376CCF.jpeg

34110D18-CE3F-42A7-B279-724663638D11.jpeg

9D52D2A6-FA5D-482E-BCCD-6B8507CD5094.jpeg

2DCC8E88-45F7-4F3A-9ECD-7687588A4141.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Still doesn't seem right, good luck.  With all the projects.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I relocated the Indian’s battery to the trunk I’ve had a concern for the front setup I built. That there exists the possibility that in an accident or more likely while doing work up around the engine, an inadvertent contact with the positive post & the body/frame/engine could occur. That would be ugly! But other things have always taken precedence & I am the only person who works on the car, so I’m careful. 
So this weekend I decided to CYA!! Much safer now!

BF0AB5B9-1C1B-43DC-8B52-02464C602BD6.jpeg

843B534C-DF6A-4CF4-88FC-222122CAEE8A.jpeg

D0EF54EE-EAB5-4B79-B7C7-F0F3593B6086.jpeg

903341C0-272D-49F9-BD92-0FEEC27A7DCF.jpeg

81DA059D-3C36-4C8C-B11E-AF60B20EA915.jpeg

5670AA57-3ABC-4513-B6ED-07EC529D8F07.jpeg

03DA78C0-17CF-4187-B11B-7B4417CBA8C2.jpeg

110C150E-7B73-4F49-ABC1-536C703A232B.jpeg
May end up painting the amber top black to blend in.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1