Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hey there my name is Andrew i was recommended to join this site by MTZVibe told me theres alot of great ppl on here and give great advice on what to do with cars. So thought id try it out great lookin site.

But i wanted to ask i have 05 Pontiac Grand AM 3400 SFI V6 ive seen other GT's and it doesnt look quite like mine due to the badges and all, I was wondering if is mine was a GT as well because i have also have v6, and its pretty fast.

heres a pic

Photo-0053.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founders

Welcome to FP!! Yep great bunch of members here that can help you!

Looks like the base model to me but I'm not a GA pro lol.

Hey there my name is Andrew i was recommended to join this site by MTZVibe told me theres alot of great ppl on here and give great advice on what to do with cars. So thought id try it out great lookin site.

But i wanted to ask i have 05 Pontiac Grand AM 3400 SFI V6 ive seen other GT's and it doesnt look quite like mine due to the badges and all, I was wondering if is mine was a GT as well because i have also have v6, and its pretty fast.

heres a pic

Photo-0053.jpg

i em pretty sure it is just an se cause don't quote me but i know the gt has the hang down on the back bumper

does your car have a front bumper like this

Photo0187.jpg

Photo-0054.jpg

oh and i know right hahaha yea this thing is way quicker haha

so yea i took that pic a couple days ago but almost not quite like it though looks like u got more grove or whatever on bumper other than that pretty close

Shiny!

Your VIN should tell you if it's a GT, you could even Google it and get some basic info from CarFax.

welcometothetribe-1.gif glad to see you came over from midnightunerz.com!

yea you have an SE the GT has a dif front bumper, chrome rims and some other stuff.

Photo-0054.jpg

oh and i know right hahaha yea this thing is way quicker haha

so yea i took that pic a couple days ago but almost not quite like it though looks like u got more grove or whatever on bumper other than that pretty close

yes you deffinitally have an SE. The person that had the GA before you could have possibly dropped a v6 engine in and taking the slower engine out. A way i know that your car started out an SE is because it doesnt have the black triming around the car i will show you a picture of mine and explain.

002-2.jpg

another way to tell is the bumpers. if you look yours has more close together bumps then the GT

004-1.jpg

hope this helped =]

oh and by the way welcome to fp =]

Welcome to the site!

And yes, you have an SE sedan. And teh ooogleh mickey mouse mirrors. Get some dual post mirrors.

It's very common for SE's to have LA1's. The major difference between a GT and SE LA1 equipped GA:

GT's had the ram air box, which is nothing more than a gimmick really. A CAI does the job much better.

GT's have a different trans:

4T45E versus the SE's 4T40E, with less agressive gear ratios.

GT's have bigger exhaust pipping:

2.25" versus the SE's 2"

And the with the different ECM programming, your SE will top out at 108MPH, since yours came equipped with the 15" wheels.

Also, a big heads up, the LA1 is notorious for the LIM leaking. If it ever goes bad, catch it early, or it lead to the motor's demise.

Any sort of plans for the GA? Lots to do engine-wise. Best bang for your buck would be the LX9 top swap. And to save you a bunch of time, here's the two sites to which I regard as the best in 60*V6 performance:

WOT-Tech.com

60inclusive.com

Also, if you want real in depth technical advice for hardcore performance, like headwork, cam, PCM tuning, porting intakes and heads etc, check out this site:

60degreeV6.com

I'm a member on there as well. Incredible wealth of both performance and maintainance knowledge there.

And of course, don't be shy to run by any questions about modding your GA by me! I am the GA guru around these parts.

Happy modding!

ok cool thanks guys i can still make it even faster so its cool just thought it might be but hey thanks for welcome and advice and ill take a look at that site too!

ok cool thanks guys i can still make it even faster so its cool just thought it might be but hey thanks for welcome and advice and ill take a look at that site too!

you know im gunna bug you about modding that car. lol. want me to still talk to my buddy about getting you some wheels?

you know im gunna bug you about modding that car. lol. want me to still talk to my buddy about getting you some wheels?

You can talk to your buddy about getting me some wheels if you want :D

Just keep this in mind while wheel hunting,

GA's have a 5x115 bolt pattern with a 42mm offset. As far as width, an XXx8 rim is the max you should go, and tires, 225 is perfect for XXx7 and 235 and 245 fits XXx8.

Tire sizes:

For 17"s: 225/45 R17 or 235/45 R17

For 18"s: 235/40 R18 or 245/40 R18

I highly recommend staying away from rims 19"s and up, simply because on a stock looking SE, it'll look really bad.

You can talk to your buddy about getting me some wheels if you want :D

lol. i wonder how much shipping would cost. one of my really good friends sells rims and tires. i got an awesome deal on my wheels. but back on topic, don't let your mind get to you that your car is quicker than other cars. yes its a lot quicker than the galant though. lol

If it makes you feel any better, stock LA1 GAs can eat V6 Mustangs, the majority of 97 and older Civics and Integras, and of course, 4th gen GAs.

But don't think you're fast. The key to opening up power with the LA1 is air flow. CAI will help out, but headwork and ported intake manifolds help out immensely. LX9 top swaps work, and work well. Adding LSx lifters, valves and springs helps out too, and if you throw in a sweet cam, the motor will be beastly. All motor, the LA1 is capable of laying down 245HP to the front wheels, versus the stock output of 150HP to the front wheels.

ok cool yes definately talk to ur friend about those wheels and tires, and i understand my car isnt that fastest car around but its fast from i was driving the 90 galant haha. Im just glad im out of that thing!. and thanks for the advice ill see what i can do